Little Flower Community wants you! (Rochester NY area)

adamlogan

Reaction score
Greetings all,

I live in a wonderful collective called Little Flower Community in Rochester NY, we are looking for people who are interested in sustainability, permaculture -generally good people who act as a force of good in the world- to join our community.

It's open to hearing and deaf alike, but being hard-of-hearing myself, I thought I'd post here to see if others who are deaf/hoh/coda etc (sign language friendly) want to live in a positive healthy environment and grow and flourish with us.

Check out our website to learn more about us and what we do. Or better yet check out our Facebook page! If you're interested, a good way to meet us is at our weekly brunch every Sunday at 11 am, contact us to let us know if you're coming, and be sure to bring a vegan dish to share, we'd love to meet you!

A group picture of our community

10295141_796138710397809_1008341334261324073_o.jpg

Fixed up a bunch of bikes in the neighborhood and taught them how to do simple repairs, was rewarding to see so many kids riding up and down the street

621825_489703347708015_365454356_o.jpg

Closeup of some of our greens, yumm

1244586_10201489493335510_2112195352_o.jpg

Potluck, good company good food, what could be better?

134945_187860481225638_3038945_o.jpg

Even if you're not looking for a new place to live, we're always happy to meet good folk, slow down and enjoy life with us :).

Last edited:
I think you were living as hippies just like back in the 1950 and 1960 and maybe 1970.

It is not a cult, totally different. They were usually called themselves "Flowers". They were very free and happy and enjoy being in company with each other. I know about them back in the days where they have flowers decorated on VW van. Back then, they were involved in drugs and probably alcohol, too. So now they may not have those anymore. I don't know.

They are hippies, all right. **nodded**

I am Native American and I don't want to join you as a hippie. Thank you very much. :)

A cult actually is where people are threatened or faced with threats if they don't believe and act all the same; sometimes the leader takes money by force or by abusive psychological tactics. The leader or leaders are not to be questioned; there is no true democratic or elective process.

OP's community seems more like "off-the-grid" or commune type community, like Bebonang was saying.

I'm hoh and a member of a local health food co-op <yeah I'm a foodie> and have been involved with many progressive and ecological groups related to topic of OP.

To OP, good luck with your group...namaste...
:)

I think you were living as hippies just like back in the 1950 and 1960 and maybe 1970.

It is not a cult, totally different. They were usually called themselves "Flowers". They were very free and happy and enjoy being in company with each other. I know about them back in the days where they have flowers decorated on VW van. Back then, they were involved in drugs and probably alcohol, too. So now they may not have those anymore. I don't know.

I am Native American and I don't want to join you as a hippie. Thank you very much. :)

The hippies movement started in the 60's in was in grade school in the 50's.
I was a hippie but I never lived in a hippie commune ,I lived in house and rented a room there some guys there that where not hippies one guy was a trucker driver and he rented rooms in difference city so he had a place to sleep while on the road. He liked being around people and did not care that some where hippies.

No matter what you call the place it's not for me.

Look at the picture of them sitting around the table ... there's 2 bottles of wine and 1 beer bottle at least that I see. And plenty of cookies for the munchies I assume? :hmm:

Look at the picture of them sitting around the table ... there's 2 bottles of wine and 1 beer bottle at least that I see. And plenty of cookies for the munchies I assume? :hmm:

I did notice all the cookies bottles

Bebonang, good choice, I hope you and tribe do lots of outreach to influence the misguided anglo saxon (which includes lots of hippies).

That picture with the beer wine and cookies were taken at a monthly public potluck at our founder's house. We seldom have beer/wine or junk food stuff at our daily shared meals, but people bring what they will although we encourage vegan dishes. For us in the community it's a nice treat to have a little junk food once in awhile. Most of us in the community drink maybe 2 or 3 beers or equivalent at most, we're adults now so no binging here, just enjoying good company and food.

We are a generally hippie community, but sober for the most part.

Thanks for the wishes dogmom. Do you go by alias KaatBird or something similar on Facebook? Joe (our community's founder) forwarded a message from someone with that alias on FB to me but I've not been able to answer until now since I'm traveling and am currently on the West Coast where I grew up. Was hoping to visit and chat if close enough to my route. I'm currently in Portland OR area and will be traveling south through California, AZ, NM, Colorado and then back over to Rochester NY. Would love to meet other ecologically progressive minded deaf people.

adamlogan - I have many friends in Rochester and I've asked around. Some of them have not heard of you. I've checked out your site... you do have couchsurfing thing going on. pretty cool! I think I will sleep on your sofa if I'm in town again. I definitely do not want to sleep over at my friend's RIT dorm or my other friend's home because she has dogs and cats... which mean lotsa of furs sticking on my clothes :lol:

Back