Literacy of Deaf People

I can't confirm that Desumon won't post in here again because I do not know if he will or not. But if he does post in here again, I have NOTHING to do with it and I will NOT get involved next time Desumon pisses this site off. I will just sit back and shake my head at him and the entire site (for rising up to his bait)

A very good point made, Naisho. For this, I thank you :)

Jillo, I have nothing against you and I hope we can chat more since I really enjoy reading your posts (even if it annoys me sometimes :giggle: )

Anyway.. back to the REAL debate or is it dead?

I can't confirm that Desumon won't post in here again because I do not know if he will or not. But if he does post in here again, I have NOTHING to do with it and I will NOT get involved next time Desumon pisses this site off. I will just sit back and shake my head at him and the entire site (for rising up to his bait)

A very good point made, Naisho. For this, I thank you :)

Jillo, I have nothing against you and I hope we can chat more since I really enjoy reading your posts (even if it annoys me sometimes :giggle: )

Anyway.. back to the REAL debate or is it dead?

Nor do I have anything against you, and would certainly welcome the opportunity to chat more.

Can't help it if the toreador is waving a red flag against the bull can ya? Blame a bull for its behavior?
Even if it's a goony toreador, all prancy and thinking he is unstoppable, if the bull gets him, it's natural that he goaded it first.
2sbwy8n.jpg

(Picture of a guy about to get owned by a bull)

I think the topic can still veer back on its course, as there is much that is left not discussed. On the contrary a lot of people are going to be thinking about it a little bit along with the interference that joined in, before they start replying again.

You already know my take on the issue, so I don't have much else to add at the moment. Perhaps someone with not so great grammar could join in for a discussion?
I know who's text that shows up in the first youtube video picture. But I'm not going to do or say anything about it.

another good point, Naisho *laughs*
and its matador.. I think

Let's just close this thread because you do have a point about people thinking about things that happened in this thread.

But we can try to branch out and get more people to get involved so I can hear more inputs and opinions since I am still very curious about this issue. What do you think?

*nods at Jillo* :)

I'd like to point out that one thing which drives me nuts- is when someone will post bad grammar in one post, then type more neatly in another. I admit I get lazy sometimes- but seriously... do you understand written english or not? Are you deaf, or not? Forgetting your plurals and apostrophes.. does not count as "written asl" . This whole thread irked me, because the opposing arguments are so misleading. Sometimes you type fine, sometimes you type incoherently.

Ex:
" he not want to go shopping. " ( I know this is not in any of these posts, just to make a point.)

You can type "don't" .. why don't you understand "doesn't" How come you can comprehend SOME written english, but not the rest of it. Its not hard to add an "s" to the word "want" when it is plural.

Your arguing to people who yes, I admit sometimes I cannot understand everyones posts.. but yet you're making teeny mistakes only half the time!

And you are abusing the government. Thats not a lie.

And- my mom says there is not music or noise anywhere in that video. I would just like to clear that up.

I'd like to point out that one thing which drives me nuts- is when someone will post bad grammar in one post, then type more neatly in another. I admit I get lazy sometimes- but seriously... do you understand written english or not? Are you deaf, or not? Forgetting your plurals and apostrophes.. does not count as "written asl" . This whole thread irked me, because the opposing arguments are so misleading. Sometimes you type fine, sometimes you type incoherently.

Ex:
" he not want to go shopping. " ( I know this is not in any of these posts, just to make a point.)

You can type "don't" .. why don't you understand "doesn't" How come you can comprehend SOME written english, but not the rest of it. Its not hard to add an "s" to the word "want" when it is plural.

Your arguing to people who yes, I admit sometimes I cannot understand everyones posts.. but yet you're making teeny mistakes only half the time!

And- my mom says there is not music or noise anywhere in that video. I would just like to clear that up.

"Its not hard to add an "s" to the word "want" when it is plural." Don't you mean "It's" and "third person" instead of "plural"? "Thats not a lie." Don't you mean "That's"? You are forgetting your apostrophes. When one doesn't practice what he/she preaches really irks me.

Ex:

i find it ironic how you can criticize other ad'ers when 99% of your post contained grammatical errors (see bolded text). try taking a look in the mirror before you point fingers at others for the mistakes they make.

Ex:

how many grammatical errors has this poster made? let me count the ways...

1. "I'd like to point out that one thing which drives me nuts- is when someone will post bad grammar in one post, then type more neatly in another."

in this sentence, the hyphen between "nuts" and "is" should be omitted.

2. "I admit I get lazy sometimes- but seriously... do you understand written english or not?"

in this sentence, the hypen between the word "sometimes" and "but" should be omitted. the word English should be capitalized.

3. "Are you deaf, or not?"

here, the comma should be omitted.

4. "Forgetting your plurals and apostrophes.. does not count as "written asl" ."

the elipses after the word "apostrophes" should be omitted and a period placed inside the closed quote.

5. "This whole thread irked me, because the opposing arguments are so misleading."

in this sentence, the comma between the word "me" and "because" should be omitted.

6. "You can type "don't" .. why don't you understand "doesn't""

in this sentence, the elipses should be omitted, a period placed after the word "don't," the word "why" should be capitalized and a question mark placed after the word "doesn't."

7. "How come you can comprehend SOME written english, but not the rest of it."

here the word English should be capitalized and a question mark placed after the word "it."

8. "Its not hard to add an "s" to the word "want" when it is plural."

here there should be an apostrophe inserted in the word "it's." the word "want" is not plural; it's singular.

9. "Your arguing to people who yes, I admit sometimes I cannot understand everyones posts.. but yet you're making teeny mistakes only half the time!"

in this sentence the word "your" should be replaced with the word "you're." the word "everyones" should contain an apostrophe "s" and the elipses removed.

10. "And you are abusing the government. Thats not a lie."

one should never begin a sentence with the word "and." instead, one should place elipses in front of the word if it is to begin a sentence. the word "thats" should contain an apostrophe "s."

11. "And- my mom says there is not music or noise anywhere in that video. I would just like to clear that up."

once again, the word "and" should not preceed a sentence. the hyphen after the word "and" should be omitted and the word "not" replaced by the word "no."

Hey no need to thwart or repel her away...
I am observing what you guys are saying and NotSoDeaf indeed has made some grammatical mistakes in her post. But I'll explain further what's she trying to imply in her views. I think I may be wrong, but give me a shot at explaining.
She is referring to those who have completely jarbeled and fragmented run-on sentences, with no coherence in them. This doesn't give her the benefit of doubt at all, I know what you guys are stating.

She is lamenting on those posts that makes everyone have a hard time understanding what it is about. I'm not going to be naming any names, but I'm sure you guys realize whom would fit this categorization.

Usage like..
adverb noun particle verb adjective,
verb noun verb particle objective/subjective adjective
etc.

While I don't condone these people, I have to admit like some of the other people here when I come across their posts, sometimes I try my best to understand what they are saying, other times when they've written so much giant wall-of-texts I get an eyestrain just trying to comprehend.. I take a step back and try to forget it all, without attacking them, read the first few sentences and last few -- as these contain most of the point a speaker is usually trying to get across. Then I move on.

PS. NotSoDeaf, you have to acknowledge a forum isn't an essay paper and what you type doesn't always have to be college level communication, you just have to say enough to get your point across. Also, whenever you post something for an opinion, you are asking for yourself to be scrutinized as well.

Some people may have been raised differently than you were, or have a hard time adapting; presumably the education system they were given whilst growing up. Whose mistake is it if they could not have a decent computer until they became 20 years old?
Is it them to blame if their parents put them through mainstream education, yet they could not understand much of their teachers -- failing their grades as they progressed along?

how many grammatical errors has this poster made? let me count the ways...

1. "I'd like to point out that one thing which drives me nuts- is when someone will post bad grammar in one post, then type more neatly in another."

in this sentence, the hyphen between "nuts" and "is" should be omitted.

2. "I admit I get lazy sometimes- but seriously... do you understand written english or not?"

in this sentence, the hypen between the word "sometimes" and "but" should be omitted. the word English should be capitalized.

3. "Are you deaf, or not?"

here, the comma should be omitted.

4. "Forgetting your plurals and apostrophes.. does not count as "written asl" ."

the elipses after the word "apostrophes" should be omitted and a period placed inside the closed quote.

5. "This whole thread irked me, because the opposing arguments are so misleading."

in this sentence, the comma between the word "me" and "because" should be omitted.

6. "You can type "don't" .. why don't you understand "doesn't""

in this sentence, the elipses should be omitted, a period placed after the word "don't," the word "why" should be capitalized and a question mark placed after the word "doesn't."

7. "How come you can comprehend SOME written english, but not the rest of it."

here the word English should be capitalized and a question mark placed after the word "it."

8. "Its not hard to add an "s" to the word "want" when it is plural."

here there should be an apostrophe inserted in the word "it's." the word "want" is not plural; it's singular.

9. "Your arguing to people who yes, I admit sometimes I cannot understand everyones posts.. but yet you're making teeny mistakes only half the time!"

in this sentence the word "your" should be replaced with the word "you're." the word "everyones" should contain an apostrophe "s" and the elipses removed.

10. "And you are abusing the government. Thats not a lie."

one should never begin a sentence with the word "and." instead, one should place elipses in front of the word if it is to begin a sentence. the word "thats" should contain an apostrophe "s."

11. "And- my mom says there is not music or noise anywhere in that video. I would just like to clear that up."

once again, the word "and" should not preceed a sentence. the hyphen after the word "and" should be omitted and the word "not" replaced by the word "no."

Ah, You found more grammatical mistakes. :)

oh...and if anyone decides to criticize me for the fact that i'm typing in all lowercase, i have an excuse. my fingers are too weak to use the shift key due to cts.

U agreed with the OP and then gave him the finger? That's just beyond hilarous!!!! :laugh2:

sure why not? I understand his frustration but he didn't express it politely so yea he deserves it :cool2:

Good points from Jiro, the main issue we're trying to deal here isn't with elitism in english grammar, it has to do with the perplexing posts that are beyond our understanding.

Anyone willing to share an experience if you were previously like this? Or should I dare ask if anyone is willing to get a few of them here and steer them into this topic for their _own_ replies on this issue, as we aren't giving them proper representation for a chance to reply.

I don't know though, for some reason I also have a feeling they would be less likely to read this thread at all. Just a gut feeling.

i didn't mean to criticize notsodeaf, but i felt i had to address her post due to the fact that she was questioning others and their ability to use the english language. if someone is going to criticize another for their english skills or lack thereof, they should practice what they preach. jmo.

Yeah HA, I know, she was asking for a differential diagnosis on reevaluating her stance as soon as she hit that Submit Post button. That's the disclaimer you acknowledge each time you press Post Reply.

What me and Jiro are trying to say is that we realize the necessity to be punctual, and also that if you want to criticize others you should check the magic 8ball under your own carpet for an opinion on whether you want to respond or look like a hypocrite.

But the as we all realize, the people that desu-mon and zaicate are referring to are those who are beyond "insta-comprehendible", if you understand what I mean.
Like for instance, you read my posts, your posts, I absolutely can see what you're trying to say and I don't have a problem with checking up on your grammar, punctuation, or correcting you unless you asked for one. Sometimes I make punctual errors, sometimes others do. It just flows through whichever passageway in my brain matter from one node to another like water.

Anyway, for instance, let me bluntly point this out, I know I may be bad for slanderizing but please understand this is not my intention. If this is offensive I will remove it as well.

I would be under the impression that desu-mon is attempting to point out smithr's grammar usage. What will people say about this now?

Sorry if I was confusing, but I am arguing to the person who is saying that Deaf people cannot comprehend written English. And in my post, I clearly stated that I sometimes get lazy as well. Thank you for your BS, but maybe you need to read more into my posts.

That will be the LAST time I ever try to stand up for the people on this forum.
I understand I may get opinions, but most of you are just down right angry rude people.

And Naisho, you tried. And thank you for that.

Unfortunately its not exactly what I was trying to say. But not that ANYONE cared for that.

Yeah HA, I know, she was asking for a differential diagnosis on reevaluating her stance as soon as she hit that Submit Post button. That's the disclaimer you acknowledge each time you press Post Reply.

What me and Jiro are trying to say is that we realize the necessity to be punctual, and also that if you want to criticize others you should check the magic 8ball under your own carpet for an opinion on whether you want to respond or look like a hypocrite.

But the as we all realize, the people that desu-mon and zaicate are referring to are those who are beyond "insta-comprehendible", if you understand what I mean.
Like for instance, you read my posts, your posts, I absolutely can see what you're trying to say and I don't have a problem with checking up on your grammar, punctuation, or correcting you unless you asked for one. Sometimes I make punctual errors, sometimes others do. It just flows through whichever passageway in my brain matter from one node to another like water.

Anyway, for instance, let me bluntly point this out, I know I may be bad for slanderizing but please understand this is not my intention. If this is offensive I will remove it as well.

I would be under the impression that desu-mon is attempting to point out smithr's grammar usage. What will people say about this now?

travis is a strong asl user and should not be criticized for his english skills. he has indicated that he is trying to learn english to improve his writing ability and should be given credit for that. criticizing travis for something he is trying to address is wrong and condescending.

Back