Literacy of Deaf People

Zaicate

Reaction score
[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=m5sUy0sHNmY]YouTube - Open Letter to the Deaf Community[/ame]

Discuss
I want your inputs or opinions on this before I let my opinion be known

Odd.. it should be showing right now

[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=m5sUy0sHNmY]YouTube - Open Letter to the Deaf Community[/ame]

if not.. then <object width="425" height="344"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/m5sUy0sHNmY&hl=en&fs=1"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/m5sUy0sHNmY&hl=en&fs=1" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="425" height="344"></embed></object>

look for the url after param name=" movie' value=" view it.. I am still new to this site and the link I originally provided works just fine for me. :hmm:

Last edited:
i notice that you took couples of english that comes from all deaf. I dont know if they like it or not unless you have already asked them for their permission?? I dont know what i think of your youtube yet due to many reasons regarding with english, grammar and spelling. again, everyone is different on their own pace of learning how to write and their minds work differently. each individuals have their minds that are capable of absording words by reading well or not. it does not apply to deaf people too, I met so many hearing people and their grammar, spelling and english were so limited too. I understand that we notice the majority of deaf, hoh, impaired hearing, hearing loss or whatever have varies of limited english. They are not alone, and hearing people have the same thing too. Hearing people are way large number of people that we dont pay attention to their english, only to deaf people due to the minority people.

again, i have no opinions of your youtube, just not yet.

I wonder if you made this youtube? if so, wonder if you can post each of words what youtube says here. some of us are totally blind or legally blind or some blind here.

Who said that I made that video? I know someone who did and I thought it will be an interesting subject for this forum (and me of course) to debate on.
I am a deaf person myself so why would I make a video of this?

I would have to agree with you on people having different learning pace but would you think that they will make more effort to improve themselves instead of being content with their current level?

Last edited:
Who said that I made that video? I know someone who did and I thought it will be an interesting subject for this forum (and me of course) to debate on.

thats my assume. according to your OP. if you didnt make it. thats fine.

I apologize. I should have made it clear that it wasn't me that made the video. I assumed that everybody will know that it wasn't me that made the video.

If deaf and blind (and legally blind) people want, I can sit down and type out the transcript for them right now. I have no problem doing that.

Who said that I made that video? I know someone

I would have to agree with you on people having different learning pace but would you think that they will make more effort to improve themselves instead of being content with their current level?

I understand what you are talking about. ahh, for example, me as an example, (I play it safe LOL) i have so tried reading or focusing on english real hard over years. but i notice that my english is pretty stuck that i feel like my mind won't allow me to have some room to absord words or vocublary or better grammar. It seems that i need to put extremely effort on my own english but very slowly like a snail. Is it possible why i dont read books when i was kid and my mind adjusted to lock on the maximum of learning or having more room. I dont know LOL.

But the fact that you are taking your time to make sure people (including people OUTSIDE Deaf community) understand your grammar is admirable. You don't need flowery or big words to make yourself sound smart, just very basic understanding of grammar (noun-verb agreement, punctuations.. and all of that BS).
I know that some of Deaf people do have difficulty with grasping the concept of grammar for some reason (maybe it is related to their mental condition, or upbringing, or whatever) but it doesn't really excuse them from not trying to improve or make sure that everybody who is reading their posts ACTUALLY understand it without having to sit there, trying to read the post and end up with a huge headache to show for it.

I do agree that taking some passages from this forum to make the video is not a great idea but I do understand why he did it (to show us what we ACTUALLY type out).

(I will be back later, I am getting call to the bed. Looking forward to seeing more posts regarding this topic. I will have the transcript edited in the first post when I wake up :) )

I wonder if you made this youtube? if so, wonder if you can post each of words what youtube says here. some of us are totally blind or legally blind or some blind here.

thank you, frisky. i'm totally blind and would appreciate a transcript of what the video says.

in my opinion, it's impossible for *some* members of the Deaf community to have good english skills. this is due to the fact that they are strong asl users. having said that, there are plenty of big D deaf asl users who have excellent english skills, but this varies from persom to person. it's important to understand that not all of us are going to have the ability to write as well as others. no one should be faulted or shamed as a result.

It seems the maker of the video has contempt for deaf and will probably have a divorce in future.

I thought it was a good opinion until the smart-aleck comment at the end of the video in regards to the sound file of people having sex and that we can't hear it.

Made me lose total respect for the said opinion.

If one wants to present a respectable opinion, they should without the expense of making fun of the Deaf community.

It seems the maker of the video has contempt for deaf and will probably have a divorce in future.

I think so too.

I thought it was a good opinion until the smart-aleck comment at the end of the video in regards to the sound file of people having sex and that we can't hear it.

Made me lose total respect for the said opinion.

If one wants to present a respectable opinion, they should without the expense of making fun of the Deaf community.

I think so too.

same here. I have one opinion for this video - "I dropped my English book and I have a bad back. Can you kindly pick it up for me?"

:mad2:

I just left a message to creator of that youtube. Here's what I wrote - "It is too bad that you have to hear them having sex while you're making this lame video. Sucks to be you! BTW - it's 2 deaf people having sex, silly."

EDIT- that fool disabled comments system. oh well.

But the fact that you are taking your time to make sure people (including people OUTSIDE Deaf community) understand your grammar is admirable. You don't need flowery or big words to make yourself sound smart, just very basic understanding of grammar (noun-verb agreement, punctuations.. and all of that BS).
I know that some of Deaf people do have difficulty with grasping the concept of grammar for some reason (maybe it is related to their mental condition, or upbringing, or whatever) but it doesn't really excuse them from not trying to improve or make sure that everybody who is reading their posts ACTUALLY understand it without having to sit there, trying to read the post and end up with a huge headache to show for it.

I do agree that taking some passages from this forum to make the video is not a great idea but I do understand why he did it (to show us what we ACTUALLY type out).

(I will be back later, I am getting call to the bed. Looking forward to seeing more posts regarding this topic. I will have the transcript edited in the first post when I wake up :) )

Better to actually be smart than to simply sound smart. Part of being smart is understanding when the comments you make are offensive to an entire community of people.

hmm .. I think its a good opinion but there are certainly a few deafs whom just not able to comprehend the english language. Some are acutally very low level of intelligence, just like hearing people. It's just not the deaf doing this, but it seems more apparant when we do it. :roll:

I just left a message to creator of that youtube. Here's what I wrote - "It is too bad that you have to hear them having sex while you're making this lame video. Sucks to be you! BTW - it's 2 deaf people having sex, silly."

EDIT- that fool disabled comments system. oh well.

LOL.

dont forget he insulted his own wife too. :aw:

I lost respect for this too... I thought it's great vidoe clip but... Um, okay. Whatever. I do understand about grammar lessons and English writing skills that they have a hard time to deal with it, like I do. But only deaf people have that problem? No, not quite so...

So, no comment for now. :roll: =/

Back