Literacy of Deaf People

Sorry if I was confusing, but I am arguing to the person who is saying that Deaf people cannot comprehend written English. And in my post, I clearly stated that I sometimes get lazy as well. Thank you for your BS, but maybe you need to read more into my posts.

That will be the LAST time I ever try to stand up for the people on this forum.
I understand I may get opinions, but most of you are just down right angry rude people.

are the statements in bold referring to me? if so, you have a nice day too. :wave:

29bysk6.jpg

Well.. we just shot one of our own. Ugh, I'm an idiot for not posting it earlier, because I could've prevented this altogether.

I reread NotSoDeaf's post a second time prior to her response. At first, I was like the rest of you guys -- thinking she was defending Desu-mon's video. But then I skimmed back and read all the posts by Desu-mon and some of Zaicate's (although Zaicate stated that she is trying to improve). There are grammatical errors in Desu-mon's posts across the board indicating that he is a suspect in this whole grammar fiasco. NotSoDeaf's response was directed towards the author of the clip.

Damn you Desumon.. tearing up the community. Have you no shame?

In regards to Travis -- from Desu-mon's youtube video, the second transcript is one of his texts, I believe. The first is from kazumi's confession thread.

Jiro translated it earlier, I'll copy and paste it here:

=========================
u guys can make a confession..
let me start mine
i have a confession to make.... i stayed in 5 grade twice
what abt you?
this is kinda a game
ppl can learn abt urself that no one knew abt

??? I don't understand confession mean help more talk to? I am confused

:mad2: why is travis being made an example of? i thought it was against the law to post information without permission.

Hear Again - Here are the contents of the YouTube video.

"an open letter to the deaf community....

First and foremost, these are merely one persons own opinions and suggestions. Either take it or leave it. If you feel offended by anything I say, then you really need a wake up call.

Second, don't assume I don't know anything about deaf people. I have lived with a deaf girl for almost fve years now, and have been married to he for two years.

The main thing I want to talk about is the overwhelming lack of grammar by the majority of the deaf community. Let's take a look at a few posts on the AllDeaf forums.

u guys can make a confession..
let me start mine
i have a confession to make.... i stayed in 5 grade twice
what abt you?
this is kinda a game
ppl can learn abt urself that no one knew abt

??? I don't understand confession mean help more talk to? I am confused

The first picture is a prime example of netspeak. I don't know how lazy some people have to be to not type out an extra two letters to correctly spell 'you', but it refects badly on the person.

The second picture is a prime example of bad grammar. Yoda spoke better than this drivel.

The English written language is just that: a written language. It is nobody's first language. From the moment we are born, we slowly absorb everything around us, and the first language we learn is the spoken or signed language of our parents.

Because of this, we learn the written portion of our language a little later in life when we can comprehend what the words mean. This holds true to everyone, deaf or not.

As an adult there is no excuse for having bad grammar and/or spelling. Nobody's grammer is perfect but making something simple to write turn out to be incomprehensible to someone else is just plain lazy.

As an adult you have ample opportunity to learn and improve, but some choose to not do so for one reason or another.

I know of a couple in Dover, Delaware by the names of Amy and Daniel who simply refuse to learn. The woemn is cearly and adult and has yet to take the GED. Her spelling and grammer are so atrocious that success on the test is nigh-impossible.

But considering that they are jobless drug-addicts who prefer to suckle on the government teat rather than expand their ambition, I do not beleive that they will make it very far in this world.

I implore you, deaf community, to pick up an English study guide and LEARN.

Thank you for your time.

YouTube - Broadcast Yourself.

I just wanted to add, I am a hearing person and I have VERY bad grammer and spelling. It's how we were taught and what we do or don't do as adults. It has nothing to do with being deaf or hoh. I spell so badly that I find words that means the same as words that I can't spell. I hate writing/typing because of my grammer and spelling. However I am taking a medical transcriptionist course that is "reteaching" me grammer. I know found it annoying that I catch some (not most and not all) of my errors.

LOL

Anyways thought I would give you my opinon or thoughts

Well geeez, Im deaf and im a great speller according
to my hearing husband, strange thing that he is very intelligent and
guess what? he is a very poor speller and he was forever
bugging me on how to spell certain words whenever
he is typing or writing words...uuugh! it can be a real
pain in the arse but thats ok, lol!

I am willing to bet that when people post on this thread, they are more careful about their grammar...

Honestly, I find it lame to point out the other person's grammar mistakes in defense.
I find it similar to this:
"Hey, your face is dirty. Go wash it off."
"YEA WELL YOUR FACE IS DIRTY TOO!!! You go wash it off!"

The fact STILL stands. Their faces are still dirty! (meaning everyone's grammar can be improved)

I'd like to ask a specific question. If you KNOW for sure that someone deaf, a native ASL user, is not making the effort to learn English and is perfectly content with typing in "asl", how would you feel about that?

I am willing to bet that when people post on this thread, they are more careful about their grammar...

Honestly, I find it lame to point out the other person's grammar mistakes in defense.

The fact STILL stands. Their faces are still dirty! (meaning everyone's grammar can be improved)

I'd like to ask a specific question. If you KNOW for sure that someone deaf, a native ASL user, is not making the effort to learn English and is perfectly content with typing in "asl", how would you feel about that?

I dont have any feelings cuz they are adults and they have a right to live their lives however they want to. I try to instill the values of reading and writing in my students while they are young but once they are adults, they have the right to decide on what they want to do with their literacy skills. I would hope they would put as much value in them as they do with ASL...but everyone is different. It is very very hard for many people..gosh, I cant even imagine trying to learn and perfect my Spanish right now due to having other obligations...if I were to be criticized for that...shit, damn if I do, damn if I dont...

if a person who criticizes another for their grammar skills (or lack thereof) doesn't want to be called out on the mistakes they make, perhaps they shouldn't say anything at all.

good question. but still - I stand by my post. writing in ASL... that's fine if you're communicating with other ASL people. But if you're going to write it to general population like public forum, who is going to understand it? Like I said in my previous post - yes everybody is trying to learn and improve... But there are handful of people out there who do not bother improving and still expect people to understand them. As an adult - if their English writing skill is still same as 5 years ago.... :mad2:

if a person who criticizes another for their grammar skills (or lack thereof) doesn't want to be called out on the mistakes they make, perhaps they shouldn't say anything at all.

But are you saying only people with perfect grammar can criticize others? Or that no one is allowed to say ANYTHING about grammar, as to not offend others? If there indeed is a grammar problem in the deaf community, is this something that we should accept as status quo in order to be "nonjudgemental and understanding" or is this something that should be addressed for the future generation of deaf people?

But are you saying only people with perfect grammar can criticize others? Or that no one is allowed to say ANYTHING about grammar, as to not offend others? If there indeed is a grammar problem in the deaf community, is this something that we should accept as status quo in order to be "nonjudgemental and understanding" or is this something that should be addressed for the future generation of deaf people?

there's a difference between helping a Deaf person improve their grammar by encouraging them vs. criticizing them. the former can be done in a tactful manner and not in a way that makes them feel worse because of something they may be unable to help. that's what i'm saying.

there's a difference between helping a Deaf person improve their grammar by encouraging them vs. criticizing them. the former can be done in a tactful manner and not in a way that makes them feel worse because of something they may be unable to help. that's what i'm saying.

True. I reread certain posts, and it was quite a specific criticism. That just makes people feel like crap.

I meant more about bringing light to literacy problems in the deaf community. Some people may take the mere mentioning of it as criticism itself.

True. I reread certain posts, and it was quite a specific criticism. That just makes people feel like crap.

I meant more about bringing light to literacy problems in the deaf community. Some people may take the mere mentioning of it as criticism itself.

Or as discrimination. I understand that the majority of the HEARING world is functionally illiterate. So..?

Or as discrimination. I understand that the majority of the HEARING world is functionally illiterate. So..?

yes but we're here in AD forum. If I were in hearing forum (which I am for other subjects) and the hearing's atrocious grammar is still same as 5 years ago, I'd be ostracizing him :mad2:

Yes, but I'm talking about if there is a large discrepancy between the literacy rates of hearing people and deaf people, then shouldn't this be an issue for the deaf community?

Back