Listening to music..HA/CI users only

green427

Reaction score
This thread is intended to discuss how we can improve our music enjoyment while using HA's and/or CI's. It is not intended to discuss who has better taste or which band is better, etc, but to share tips on how we can enjoy it better.

I will start with....How I was able to listen to drums in the middle of all the other instruments.

The theory is similar to those of us that must have the lyrics laid out in front of us while listening, as we can hear the singing, but can't hear the words clearly. By following the lyrics while hearing the singing, we can keep up.

Drums: I can hear drums clearly, but two instruments that are always present with most drum sets are the cymbals and the really big one on the floor, the foot-operated one (damn, can't remember the name....).

I was always fascinated with the second half of the song "Closer" and wondered how the drums were played. By watching which drum was hit, and the cymbals chosen, I was able to correlate the sound that these make.

The original video (warning: explicit lyrics are present in the song): Here

Drum cover for the same song: Here

Watching the drum cover, I was better able to separate some of the different drum tones. Still can't follow the foot in this one though.

When you hit 3:38, it gets hairy, that's the best part, and by following the sequence carefully, it gets much more enjoyable.

Got any ideas & tips to share? Let's see 'em!

Theoretically, if you want more range, you should increase the compression. This will make the sound more artificial (not like that matters with NiN lol). You will be able to hear more sounds but it will sound less natural. As you go down the compression slider (towards linear), it will sound more natural but you will lose more range.

I don't know how you can match them, maybe you have a better PC, the video over here lags the sound a lot lol :)

This thread is intended to discuss how we can improve our music enjoyment while using HA's and/or CI's. It is not intended to discuss who has better taste or which band is better, etc, but to share tips on how we can enjoy it better.

I will start with....How I was able to listen to drums in the middle of all the other instruments.

The theory is similar to those of us that must have the lyrics laid out in front of us while listening, as we can hear the singing, but can't hear the words clearly. By following the lyrics while hearing the singing, we can keep up.

Drums: I can hear drums clearly, but two instruments that are always present with most drum sets are the cymbals and the really big one on the floor, the foot-operated one (damn, can't remember the name....).

I was always fascinated with the second half of the song "Closer" and wondered how the drums were played. By watching which drum was hit, and the cymbals chosen, I was able to correlate the sound that these make.

The original video (warning: explicit lyrics are present in the song): Here

Drum cover for the same song: Here

Watching the drum cover, I was better able to separate some of the different drum tones. Still can't follow the foot in this one though.

When you hit 3:38, it gets hairy, that's the best part, and by following the sequence carefully, it gets much more enjoyable.

Got any ideas & tips to share? Let's see 'em!

Oh good grief! You have the right idea in seeking out stuff like this to help you break down the tracks that you listen to to flesh it out for you. Unfortunately, you chose a guy with a busy kick pedal foot on the bass drum (big drum on the floor) that looks like he is doing more than he actually is. The beat is very simple. Trust your ear. He keeps his foot on the move, but he's not actually playing anything.. just bouncing the pedal without the beater hitting the drum except on 1 and 3.. just as you are hearing it. Watch his right hand at the beginning when he's hitting his thigh with the stick. Same idea. It's a time-keeping technique.

Every drummer is different. You just chose one that f**ked with your perception ;)

Here's another one [ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5eqySjI-dOE]Closer(Drum Cover) - YouTube[/ame]

This illustrates how drummers can be different as well as play the same song differently. In this one, the bass (or kick) drum is played on all 4 beats rather than alternating with the snare (handclap sound.)

It gives it a "4 on the floor" stomp. I believe this is how the original was played. Mind you.. I'm only watching the beginning. The beat changes up after a few measures.

I did not have a problem with this one. Just used it as an example.

Oh sorry. I was going off where you said "Watching the drum cover, I was better able to separate some of the different drum tones. Still can't follow the foot in this one though." So from watching the video and noticing the way he bounced his foot, I figured that it may have been making you think he was playing where he wasn't, making you think you couldn't follow it. Basically, as far as that video goes, he doesn't give you much clue as to his footwork by watching.

I may have been over thinking it. I do play drums.

Oh sorry. I was going off where you said "Watching the drum cover, I was better able to separate some of the different drum tones. Still can't follow the foot in this one though." So from watching the video and noticing the way he bounced his foot, I figured that it may have been making you think he was playing where he wasn't, making you think you couldn't follow it. Basically, as far as that video goes, he doesn't give you much clue as to his footwork by watching.

I may have been over thinking it. I do play drums.

Cool. This guy made over 160 clips and his foot is like that. Check out Stian Sannerud's Metallica covers.

Here is one by duke that is almost perfect to the beat: [ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=89kJS0XIEFs&list=FLpNGs_wmLLLNJBUUoOZ5SCA&index=95"]Genesis - Home by the Sea Pt2[/ame]

Back