List of Streaming Services with CC/Subtitles [Netflix, AppleTV, Vudu, Amazon, etc]

Does anyone with an Apple TV device use Netflix on it with subtitles/captions? If so, how easy/hard is it to read the subtitles/captions? I tried Netflix on a Roku2 player a couple of months ago and it uses yellow text with no contrast background. I ended up getting headaches from trying to read the text during bright or lightly colored movie scenes. Returned the Roku2 back to the store and canceled Netflix.

This is normal, and I agreed it sucks. It is not service itself. It is how engineers developed the captions for their products and they are 100% audism!

Does anyone with an Apple TV device use Netflix on it with subtitles/captions? If so, how easy/hard is it to read the subtitles/captions? I tried Netflix on a Roku2 player a couple of months ago and it uses yellow text with no contrast background. I ended up getting headaches from trying to read the text during bright or lightly colored movie scenes. Returned the Roku2 back to the store and canceled Netflix.

Yes, I have my ATV 2 and Captions is very clear to read. Text is white. This text on ATV is better than Roku 2.
See my image below

Attachments

• photo (1).jpg
    photo (1).jpg
    90.5 KB · Views: 15
Is it the device or the service? Netfix text is yellow on my nook and my wifes laptop and i agree they are only readable about half the time.

Is it the device or the service? Netfix text is yellow on my nook and my wifes laptop and i agree they are only readable about half the time.

Yellow and thin text on Netflix is Mac and iPhone/iPad. White and bold text on it is Apple TV.

This is normal, and I agreed it sucks. It is not service itself. It is how engineers developed the captions for their products and they are 100% audism!
Do you know what audism means? Since you said 100% audism, that means there are no captions. What the hell are you talking about? You need to smoke some weeds to calm down.

If you had any Blu-ray discs with CC, you could do the same with them as well. See my reply #36 above.

Blu ray DVD do NOT have closed captions (line 21)

They instead use SHD *subtitles*
(Subtitled for hard of hearing and deaf = SHD listed on dvd)

Their subtitles.. closed like dvd's have various subtitles for english,spanish, etc

TRUE Closed captions are line 21 and would not be found on a blu ray dvd.. as HDMI cable doesn't support line 21 data flow..

Old non blu ray dvd's would have true CC line 21 close captions... playing those through a blu ray player which only has a HDMI connection would have no CC passed through to TV.

The only good thing as I said with sonys bdp390 is ability watch a Dvd through HDMI (HD) or via the alternate composite video (480i analog) using the composite output one can play old Dvd's which have only CC line 21
as that allows pass through to the TV

Now if only they would update the BDP390 to handle hulu plus "closed subtitles" it be worth buying... I still regret buying it in that sense.

Amazon currently offers 9,073 movies /TV shows with captions. I just did a quick search.
That's not including foreign movies with embedded English subtitles.

Out of those 9,000+ movies, 1,454 Results are Prime eligible, meaning they are free to Prime users at no cost. I imagine those numbers will change significantly within the year.

Close Captioning works via desktop and streaming via PS3/Amazon App. You can change sizes/colors/backgrounds.

Amazon on Apple TV ever?

I see that Apple added Netflix to their Apple TV box...why not Amazon Video?

Netflix supports CC on Smart TV?

Closed Caption support:

OPPO BDP-103 Blu-ray Player

TiVo Premiere

Sony BDP-s390, S590 Blu-ray players

Roku 2 XS, XD, HD, LT

Apple TV 2, 3rd generation

Wii

WD TV Live and Hub

Toshiba 2012 HDTV and Blu-ray players

Philips 4706/5706 HDTVs

Google TV (Logitech Revue and Sony TV, Blu-ray models)

D-link Boxee Box

2011 Sharp HDTVs

2011, 2012 LG Smart TVs, Google TV, Blu-ray players, HTIB and Smart TVsPanasonic 2011, 2012 Blu-ray players

2011, 2012 Samsung Smart TVs (D5, D6, D7 Series)

Philips 4706/5706 TV

2012 Toshiba Blu-ray and Smart TVs

2011 Sharp Smart TVs

Sony Playstation3

Xbox 360

Mobile devices (iOS and Android)

What's the Best Netflix Player: Blu-ray, Video Game and Connected Devices 2012

New 2013 Smart TVs for Netflix supports CC???

Netflix doesn't support CC (subtitle) on Vizio Smart TV? Right.

no CC at all on any Blu-ray player??

Long post - please bear with me!

I have been reading every post I can find anywhere online about this, as well as posting in several places on the Sony Community Forum. I also just concluded a live chat with a Sony support agent a short while ago - ALL with no fix in sight. Most people do not even seem to understand my problem, which is that I can get CC on my Sony Bravia TV, and I can get subtitles from steaming Netflix, as well as from any DVD that has subtitles. What I CANNOT get is the CC on DVDs that have CC, nor can I get CC on streaming Netflix content that specifically says it DOES have CC (but not subtitles).

We watch CC on TV all the time, but when watching anything thru the Sony Blu-ray player, the CC function on the TV and TV remote becomes disabled. For instance, I have a DVD in right now that does NOT have subtitles but it DOES have CC. Under Accessibility Options on the DVD menu, the screen says "This disc contains closed captions, which can be turned on and off using your TV remote control or your television's onscreen menu setup." However, when I try to get the CC on the TV, the screen says "This operation is currently prohibited for this disc." All of the TV's CC capability returns when switching from the Blu-ray player back to just watching TV. I know the problem is not with the disc, because I took it to the AV dept. of our local library and they popped it in their TV and the CC displayed immediately without any settings adjustments at all. In fact, this was even an older model TV that had the DVD player built in. SO much for new technology!

Some people have found a viable workaround by either switching their player-to-TV connection from HDMI to analog composite cables, or by running the composite cables in addition to the HDMI. We cannot do this because this "newfangled updated technology" player ONLY has HDMI and does not have any ports for composite cables. This is the second player we have purchased trying to get subtitles and CC. The first (also a Sony), got neither. We then discovered that Netflix maintains lists of mfg/player models with specific info on what features each will or will not get, but only subtitles are mentioned, not CC (which, in the end, seems to be the province of the TV to actually execute). We purchased accordingly, and now do get Netflix subtitles, but we can't get CC on ANY type of media viewed thru the player. Nor could I get any explanation from Sony on why/how their own player disables CC when connected to their own TV.

Am I understanding correctly from the previous posts here that in 2014 this will all be corrected by firmware updates to the players and TVs which the mfgs will be required to provide? I am trying to determine whether we will have to purchase yet ANOTHER player to get the CCs (this is becoming a financial burden - we have already done this twice!) or should we keep the one we just bought with the expectation that the mfg will be required to provide the relevant firmware updates mere months from now?

finally came up with a workaround to get CC!

This took me all night (literally... it's now 6:33am) but I finally came up with a solution to my problem. I'm hoping it might help some of you as well. After learning that no Blu-ray player supports CC at this time, nor does HDMI, I took the long way around the problem but it did work. Since others reported being able to get CC on DVDs and online streaming content like TV programs and Netflix, I first verified that I could do the same. I took that DVD I've been trying to get CC on for the past 2 weeks and put in in the DVD drive of my computer. It automatically opened full-screen in Windows Media Player. I right-clicked anywhere on the screen and the menu that came up included a selection for "Lyrics, Captions and Subtitles." Clicked on that and chose "Closed Captions." And Voila! - there they were!

But I want to watch this DVD on my TV... so I ran a long DVI (*not* HDMI) cable along the wall (hidden in a conduit atop the baseboard) fom my computer to my HDTV, as the two are almost 20 ft. apart. Now the Input Source button for the TV includes my PC in its list of connected devices. Basically, by selecting that source, the TV becomes a large flat-screen HD computer monitor with sound and that movie DVD with CC plays beautifully on it.

One further note: You can, of course, do all of this from the computer itself but if your computer is some distance away from the TV like mine, you will have to run back and forth to the keyboard/mouse in order to work everything. Not great when the TV is 20 feet away and you can't see the menu items on the screen from that distance. My solution was to use an additional wireless keyboard with touchpad. It communicates by radio frequency to a small USB transmitter which plugs into any available USB port on the computer. In order to get the best transmission at that distance, I plugged a long USB extension cable into an available USB port on the back of the computer, and ran it through the same baseboard conduit to the TV cabinet, where I affixed it with a 3M Command Strip in a location open to view, and plugged the transmitter into that. I can now sit on the couch 10 ft. away in front of the TV and the wireless keyboard/touchpad works like a dream, enabling me to do anything (and watch anything! with subtitles OR closed captions!) on my "new 42-inch HD computer monitor screen."

HOORAY!

What I CANNOT get is the CC on DVDs that have CC, nor can I get CC on streaming Netflix content that specifically says it DOES have CC (but not subtitles).

Well, actually it's subtitles. They call it CC unofficially. Same with YouTube and others. DVD/BD movies have subtitles which don't require a CC decoder. That's why they are called subtitles.

Am I understanding correctly from the previous posts here that in 2014 this will all be corrected by firmware updates to the players and TVs which the mfgs will be required to provide? I am trying to determine whether we will have to purchase yet ANOTHER player to get the CCs (this is becoming a financial burden - we have already done this twice!) or should we keep the one we just bought with the expectation that the mfg will be required to provide the relevant firmware updates mere months from now?
No firmware updates since the current models (DVD/BD players) don't have a built-in CC decoder (which is a hardware), therefore you will have to buy a new model that will include this hardware starting in 2014 in order to be able to watch CC on a disc via HDMI (like HD DVR and other STBs that include the hardware). IMO, TV's CC is good for OTA and boxless cable.

Hello,

Services supporting CC/Subtitles
- Netflix: Captioning is supported. (now lots of material)
- AppleTV: Captioning is supported. (some material)
- Vudu: Captioning IS NOT supported.
- Amazon: Captioning IS NOT supported.
- BBC iPlayer: Captioning is supported. (most material)
- Hulu: Captioning is supported.

Captioning are now supported on Vudu and Amazon. I have Vudu account and was able watch some movies with captions.

Hi guys,

please update list for appletv 6.0 support CC?

Back