Life Alert for Deaf?

gilljahn

Reaction score
Hi!

I am a hearing impaired individual since birth. My mom is 83 and has lost most of her hearing. We are looking for a Life Alert for deaf people. The current life alerts or medical alerts say person can push a button if they need something and an operator will come on and ask them if they are ok. Well, since she cannot hear, she will not know to answer the operator. They say in this instance, they will call the people on the list and then 911 if they cannot get a hold of contacts. I was just wondering if there was another option as my mother would be mortified if 911 came and she had pushed the button by accident. Seems like there should be another option. Any ideas?

I checked with Harris Communications and didn't find anything like that. I hope someone else will have an answer as I could use it myself later on.

I don't know of anything. The only solution I can think of is having them call several people who are guaranteed to pick up, and who live close and can get a hold of your mother. Does she live alone?

Also, does she sign and have a VP?

Just seems to me in this day of advanced technology they could come up with a product the deaf can use. How about a receptor that vibrates to let the person know an operator is talking and then the person could know to speak. Or a light or something. Hello there are a lot of deaf people in our population. It's frustrating.

Hi, do you have house phone? You can dial 911 and just leave it alone. The police will come and see what's wrong. This takes little bit longer than real emergencies but it's better than nothing.

I have always wondered the same about life alert, too.

I am thinking about what happened if a senior citizen just fell down and not able to wake up. That is what concerned me.

I am looking for a life alert for my mom who is deaf. She fell last saturday and laid on the floor till sunday morning when my sister found her. She has vp and signs. I have been looking for a life alert for her and so far nothing. There has to be something for the deaf and elderly. By the way...my mom has broken ribs and a broken hip. Had she been able to alert 911 she would not have had to suffer

Back