"Let's Talk!"

kokonut

Reaction score
Let’s Talk!

The 30 Million Words Project teaches at-risk families about the importance of talking at home. By distributing an innovative “word pedometer,” which tracks language in the home, as well as video- and live-coaching for families, the project led to a 32 percent increase in levels of talking in at-risk homes. Run by a cochlear implant surgeon at the University of Chicago, Dana Suskind, the program recently floated the idea a “Let’s Talk” campaign, modeled on Michelle Obama’s Let’s Move.

Interesting stats:

25%20how%20to%20make%20toddlers%20smarter%20chart.jpg

How to Make Toddlers Smarter: Talk to Them | Brookings Institution

Yea, that's why I get so miffed when parents don't learn ASL for their deaf children.

Hearing parents talking to hearing children help increase the number of spoken words.

it sad when survays done see how much parent talks to children and parents got be shown how to...this been age old question i seen it rolled out many times over the years

This is also why it's importance to read to your child(ren) and at bed time too. I read to my child every night at her bed time. It's a nice way to end a busy day for a child and parent. Have you notice how many mother take their child(ren) to a park or playground and the mom sit on a bench and start texting right away instead of playing with their child(ren). I heard the this generation of kids will first one to not good social skills before no one is talking anymore. Maybe in a 1000 years or more man will no longer have a need for a voice box.

This is also why it's importance to read to your child(ren) and at bed time too. I read to my child every night at her bed time. It's a nice way to end a busy day for a child and parent. Have you notice how many mother take their child(ren) to a park or playground and the mom sit on a bench and start texting right away instead of playing with their child(ren). I heard the this generation of kids will first one to not good social skills before no one is talking anymore. Maybe in a 1000 years or more man will no longer have a need for a voice box.

I agree with you about reading to kids. :)

I agree with you about reading to kids. :)

When we would go on long car trips we always used that time to play educational games with our kids. They loved playing "name the state capital" whoever won would name the next state. Another idea we used was buying quiz cards on different subjects. Parents are cheating their kids by placing them in front of a video or computer to babysit.

I was out at a restaurant with my daughter and granddaughter and the table across from us had about 8 adults and 3 kids , the kids where seat at end of the table away from the adults and where watching a video . Not one adult said anything to the kids . It was as if the kids where not apart of the family, I thought it was sad that none of the adults wanted to talk and joke around with their kids . The kids could had gotten up and walked away and the adults most likely would not had notice it right way.

Back