Lets build a Better VR for Deaf Community

Somyamridul

Reaction score
Hi,

I am a masters student. Over the years i have seen a massive rise of Deaf community in Virtual world/metaverse.

However, i saw that the tech is not very accessible or smart to allow the community to have a comfortable intuitive experience.

I took this as an opportunity to work on this gap for the final project for masters.

I would appreciate all your responses and experiences with the vr world and how can we make it better.

I am also looking to collaborate with someone who is keen and can help me understand the Deaf community better so that i can suggest better design improvements from the direct target audience.

Looking to read all your responses.

Thanks!

This is a hard market to get into, since most deaf accessible tech is for hearing people. Like the gloves a sign user can use that turn sign into speech. But how do you talk back to the deaf person? Expect them to read lips, or write it down. It only helped the hearing person in that case. I would love to see more tech and vr deaf friendly things. Good luck.

This is a hard market to get into, since most deaf accessible tech is for hearing people. Like the gloves a sign user can use that turn sign into speech. But how do you talk back to the deaf person? Expect them to read lips, or write it down. It only helped the hearing person in that case. I would love to see more tech and vr deaf friendly things. Good luck.
Hi, thank you so much for your response. I agree most tech is made for hearing people. Exactly where i am trying to make a difference. Is there any way i could connect with you on other personal platform and we could maybe have a couple of chats?

In terms of talking back to a deaf person. I have been thinking of the possibility of converting speech to text. And for the hearing person sign to text. That way if the software integration can automatically adapt to the language and display. It could be easier to have a conversation. Also since now we are talking about possiblities. I do not think there are any limitations in how wild can we think and ideate. I would love we could connect and discuss and come up with some ideas!

VRchat community kicked me out. I hate their rules as said "Have Mic or get kicked". They are Rudeness people and they don't care if they are hearing impaired or not. It's discrimination against disabled gamers.

Back