Left handed Signer

Ok, I am left handed and I have noticed that as I learn sign I am torn from using my left or my right hand, sometimes I tend to rotate. Has anyone else that is left handed run into this?.. It reminds me of when I was a kid learning to use scissors, or learning to write.

I am wondering how others have dealt with this, do you force yourself to sign right handed, or try to stick pure left handed versions of signing.. or do you tend to rotate as well. This is what I have done with my mouse, I use it right handed mainly, but if I need to, I can use a mouse in my left. Scissors are the same, I can use left or right, but when I write, it is left hand only.

Also, how do others feel when conversing with a left handed signer, do you prefer them to "Pick a side and stick to it", or do you even notice/care?

No one cares which hand you use to sign. It makes absolutely no difference. I am a lefty too, and quite proud of it!

my aunt is left handed. But my MIL says it is a right handed world and it is hard to find things for left handed. It's also hard for a right handed person teach a left handed person in a left hand perspective (like writing, knitting, sewing, etc.)

other than that, I don't think it make a world a different if you are left or right handed.

There's nothing wrong with signing left-handed.

I had an interpreter at RIT who was left-handed. I didn't even noticed until a few weeks later when I saw her writing with her left hand. I said, "Ah, left-handed... eh?" She said, "Of course, didn't you notice when I was signing?" From that moment on, it became obvious since I now knew. ;)

My niece signs left handed, she is studying to be a terp. She is fun to sign with, like a mirror image. Lol

Left handed signer and Right handed singers are not bother me. I'm right-handed signer, write, cooking, chopping with my right handed. I'm proud being right-handed. :)

I'm a rightie and I sign leftie :shrug:

Interesting..my fingerspelling is actually alot more clear and fluent when I use my left hand. My right hand tends to jumble up the letters alot. Odd and just a little bit annoying. :doh:

Interesting..my fingerspelling is actually alot more clear and fluent when I use my left hand. My right hand tends to jumble up the letters alot. Odd and just a little bit annoying. :doh:

I'm the same way except with left and right flipped.

when i was in kidergarten my teacher used to punish me for using my left hand to sign. but i still used my left hand. however when i went to 1st grade the school put me in a regular class and never used asl again. i like to try asl again though it is very hard to relearn something you never used over 30 yrs ago.

when i was in kidergarten my teacher used to punish me for using my left hand to sign. but i still used my left hand. however when i went to 1st grade the school put me in a regular class and never used asl again. i like to try asl again though it is very hard to relearn something you never used over 30 yrs ago.
That happened to a friend of mine. She was left-handed, but her teacher would force her to use her right hand with writing and signing. It became frustrating for her that she told her mom (who was an interpreter at the same school) and that teacher got in trouble for it.

I had that same teacher myself. Boy, she was horrible!

Lol :D As I said in another thread, I don't really have the opportunity to utilize sign much, but sometimes finger-spelling works better with my friends- especially if they're trying to tell me something the whole world doesn't need to hear!! At first I was trying to teach my friend to fingerspell, and she was struggling to coordinate her fingers. Then, I realized!! I was trying to teach her the letters right handed, and she needed to see them from a lefty POV. Problem solved. And now I can fingerspell rapidly with both hands :D

Left handed here. Back when schools could whip you and tie your left hand behind your back. I super stubborned. Refused to use my right hand for anything.

Due to an injury to my left arm I became ambidextrous later in life.

Sometimes I do have trouble keeping to just one hand. I try not to switch during a sentence, but automatically when character switching I use right for one character and left for the other.

Comes in handy.

I am unable to do things with my right hand, like use scissors, write or anything. My left hand is the most dominant hand

I attempted to do the ASL fingerspelling on my left,

what result?

FAIL!

At the advice of many here on the forums, I started taking a ASL class this week.. I ended up with two other left handed signers in my class!.. The instructor was caught a bit off guard when we started our sign practicing, but is more then willing to work with us and prefers we stick to one side.

I seriously don't ever remember noticing if someone is left- or right-handed whenever someone signs.

I'm a rightie and have trouble fingerspelling a few letters. I have getting the "r" and "w" mostly. I have found that I can do all the letters with left hand. I had thought about maybe practicing fingerspelling with my left hand. Thanks for this thread. :D

Left handed here. Back when schools could whip you and tie your left hand behind your back. I super stubborned. Refused to use my right hand for anything.

Due to an injury to my left arm I became ambidextrous later in life.

Sometimes I do have trouble keeping to just one hand. I try not to switch during a sentence, but automatically when character switching I use right for one character and left for the other.

Comes in handy.

Lefties do it right!!...... I am in the same boat as you. I used to write left handed until I injured my left hand and had to write right handed for months. which lead me to write right handed. But during the rehabilitation on my left hand it became more dominate in strength and dexterity. I guess you could call me ambidexterious because of the injury...:cool2:

Back