Left and Right Hand Signing

I'm sure I'll learn the ropes around here eventually. :D

I am right handed so I use that hand to sign the ASL alphabets.

I tried with my left but it's awkward lmao.

Professor BOTT :D , you're incorrigible! :P , don't scare the students :giggle:

Professor BOTT :D , you're incorrigible! :P , don't scare the students :giggle:
I wasn't intimidated because I knew what I was talking about, and I worded my post very careful so as not to make a statement that exceeded my knowledge.

Besides, at this point, I only really care about my professors' opinions because they're the ones giving me my grades. :D

Interesting topic!
I'm left handed. I think I nearly do everything with my left hand. Besides fingerspelling and signing. I really suck with my left hand, but don't ask why. My husband was the first one to notice. Maybe I should start practicing more with my left:hmm:

Hello everyone:wave:

I was hoping someone could answer this question for me: I have just started learning the ASL alphabet and am right handed. However, I find it most comfortable to make the letters with my left hand. Is it true that one should sign with the hand they are most comfortable with?

Thanks!

The rule is you are suppose to sign with the dominant hand. If you are right handed then your right hand is your dominant hand.

I am right handed and sign right handed. Unfortunately when my right arm was in a sling, I had to learn some signs left handed and I almost always sign "day" left handed due to learning it left handed, ack!

I am right handed signing :)

Welcome to AllDeaf! :D

I'm left handed and spell/sign with my left.

In my class I was the only lefty...

I actually find it really convinient because when I learn signs I can just mirror and not have to think about flipping a sign around.

I've tried spelling with my right, but I'm slow and clumsy

I'm left handed and spell/sign with my left.

In my class I was the only lefty...

I actually find it really convinient because when I learn signs I can just mirror and not have to think about flipping a sign around.

I've tried spelling with my right, but I'm slow and clumsy

I'm the other way around-- I'm left handed but can't sign worth a flip w/my left hand-- I finger spell w/my right hand rather well... I'm not sure why I do it backwards from everything else I do!

I'm left handed for writing, and left handed (mostly) for one-handed fingerspelling alphabets like ASL - but, I'm right handed for two-handed alphabets like BSL, and right handed for signing. :)

Back