Learning to lip read and wanting to make new friends

LINDA BARNES

Reaction score
Hi .. my name is lyn .. i was recently made deaf after an operation .. i do lip read .. but i would like someone to teach me more .. i live in halesowen .. west midlands .. i am also looking to make some friends on here deaf or hearing people ...anyone out there who can help me learn and understand deafness and also have a chat about other things

I too, became profound deaf (both ears) after a "blotched" surgery...before the surgery, I had 60/40 (unaided *no hearing aids)...Un-be-knowest, (or not really realizing it), I was actually "lip reading" a lot....and became quite fluent....Concentration does give you headaches tho'...and your eyes take a beating from years of concentration. I do not know how to "teach you to lip read"...feel that will be learned on your own. I do avoid men with heavy moustaches or people that talk too fast, even mumble....LOL....Conversing with someone on a regular basis helps a lot (spouse or family/best friend, etc.)...Learning ASL (sign language) is a big help too.
And I might make a suggestion...keep talking...or you will forget how to pronounce words since you are now deaf. Good Luck.

Hi robin .. how nice to hear from you .. i too have trouble with moustaches .. also accents and foreign people also are hard thanks for your advice.. do you go to work .. i am finding it hard at work .. i work in a busy sales office
I am thinking of giving work up .. i make mistakes a lot now dont know why .. something to do with deafness.. do you have this problem .. i hate it because i was good at my job.. find it now too fast .. lyn

I'm retired (Newspaper/Advertising)...If you are having to converse with people all day, I do imagine that is difficult for you. Maybe speak with your boss about it and see what can be worked out? Perhaps in a position where you don't have to deal directly with people or phones now since you are deaf?...

Hi .. thanks for replying .. when the office gets busy .. i cannot hear .. the noise drowns out the peoples voices... i dont use phone now just e mail .. but since being deaf i too find this hard .. and fast .. i now make mistakes at work .. lyn

I too, became profound deaf (both ears) after a "blotched" surgery...before the surgery, I had 60/40 (unaided *no hearing aids)...Un-be-knowest, (or not really realizing it), I was actually "lip reading" a lot....and became quite fluent....Concentration does give you headaches tho'...and your eyes take a beating from years of concentration. I do not know how to "teach you to lip read"...feel that will be learned on your own. I do avoid men with heavy moustaches or people that talk too fast, even mumble....LOL....Conversing with someone on a regular basis helps a lot (spouse or family/best friend, etc.)...Learning ASL (sign language) is a big help too.
And I might make a suggestion...keep talking...or you will forget how to pronounce words since you are now deaf. Good Luck.
Have you noticed that lipreading guys with full beards is like trying to lipread a hairbrush?

Hi! I had a teacher that would help me understand lips better. She had pictures with words on a board, then shed play loud music (I was stiĺl hearing) then she would say a word and I would have to find the word she was saying on the board. I found it very helpful!

Hi! I had a teacher that would help me understand lips better. She had pictures with words on a board, then shed play loud music (I was stiĺl hearing) then she would say a word and I would have to find the word she was saying on the board. I found it very helpful!
Good for you!!! Do you want me to help you learn? Please let me know.

Good for you!!! Do you want me to help you learn? Please let me know.
Actually I am pretty fluent in lip reading now! I can understand a conversation pretty well. Im helping my nephew learn, he was born deaf around the time I lost my hearing so we are learning ASL together

Lipreading is not easy. You have to make a guess or try to figure out what the hearing people say. Also hearing people have different way of moving their mouths to speak with you. Some may be easy for you and others not that easy. There has been no training for us, Deafies, to learn to lipread. We did it on our own to figure out lipreading. ASL is much better than lipreading because it is visual and easy to make out in ASL. Reading lip???? Ugh!!!! That is difficult. But if you still want to lipread instead of using ASL. By the way, where are you from?

Welcome to AllDeaf forum. :wave:

Lipreading is not easy. You have to make a guess or try to figure out what the hearing people say. Also hearing people have different way of moving their mouths to speak with you. Some may be easy for you and others not that easy. There has been no training for us, Deafies, to learn to lipread. We did it on our own to figure out lipreading. ASL is much better than lipreading because it is visual and easy to make out in ASL. Reading lip???? Ugh!!!! That is difficult. But if you still want to lipread instead of using ASL. By the way, where are you from?

Thanks

Halesowen . West midlands

Remember to keep up with vision changes. I had neglected that, and it made lipreading more difficult, especially from a distance.

Yep. Let's be frank--you are either born with that ability or not. Decades ago I read that hearing people can surpass deaf people in lipreading skills, but I have yet to meet one who did.
Oh yeah, it IS difficult at times, just to remind us of something.

Welcome Lyn :) I have severe hearing loss in both ears but unfortunately I have not found lip reading hugely helpful, although I can understand basically nothing without being able to see a person's face/mouth. That said I hope you learn what you need. There are some reasources in a few communities where I live that teach lipreading but I have no idea how effective they are.

Hi .. my name is lyn .. i was recently made deaf after an operation .. i do lip read .. but i would like someone to teach me more .. i live in halesowen .. west midlands .. i am also looking to make some friends on here deaf or hearing people ...anyone out there who can help me learn and understand deafness and also have a chat about other things
I am hearing and know a little bit of sign but would be willing to help you! Also for resources, I have found bill vicar videos on YouTube to be extremely helpful

Back