Learning Sign Language

KweenSasha

Reaction score
I've been trying to teach myself Sign Language for the past few weeks. Very little progress. It's difficult trying to learn without communication from a second party. Tips anyone? Thanks.

How large is the deaf community in or near you? What is the genesis of your interest in learning the language? At any rate, all the best to you.

Mod's Note:

Thread's moved to it's proper location.

How large is the deaf community in or near you? What is the genesis of your interest in learning the language? At any rate, all the best to you.
Not large at all, very small. Just myself and another guy. He doesn't know sign language either. There are also couple deaf kids who have no knowledge about it.
I'm interested because I've decided to be a Special Ed/Deaf Teacher. I'm in the process of making it possible so therefore I must learn it. Don't u agree?

Not large at all, very small. Just myself and another guy. He doesn't know sign language either. There are also couple deaf kids who have no knowledge about it.
I'm interested because I've decided to be a Special Ed/Deaf Teacher. I'm in the process of making it possible so therefore I must learn it. Don't u agree?

Thanks for the reply and, by all means, yes, I agree. I'm just trying to think of something for you, considering where you are, besides the usual online learning. But maybe you can start there...ASLPro is a good site. Others here will chime in.

Thanks for the reply and, by all means, yes, I agree. I'm just trying to think of something for you, considering where you are, besides the usual online learning. But maybe you can start there...ASLPro is a good site. Others here will chime in.
Thank u Tousi. I'm browsing the website now. Looks neat.

I've been trying to teach myself Sign Language for the past few weeks. Very little progress. It's difficult trying to learn without communication from a second party. Tips anyone? Thanks.

Take classes.

Sorry, I did not mean you were silly. I thought maybe a community college there might have ASL.

Bahamas may be smaller that I thought.:(

Bahamas as I do a little research, is a commonwealth with Queen Elizabeth as its monarch.

Are you sure you want ASL and not BSL?

Hi Sasha,

I'm in the same predicament as you in some ways. I live in a very small area with virtually no deaf community near me. I'm hearing and I learned alittle sign by watching the deaf kids in my school (but this was 20 yrs ago! :giggle:). I know a lot of vocabulary, but very little ACTUAL sign. My receptive skills are better than my expressive skills. That said, I would try browsing the websites. I've done this as well. I'm a decent visual learner, so this is good for me.

Hope this works! :)

Bahamas as I do a little research, is a commonwealth with Queen Elizabeth as its monarch.

Are you sure you want ASL and not BSL?
We are a demorcatic nation. Queen Elizabeth has no say whatsoever in our affairs. The Prime Minister is the R.Hon. Hubert Ingraham.
The Bahamas doesn't have it's own sign language system. If there is one it's ASL.

I think it is ASL that is used in the Bahamas as well, that's what I've heard. If there isn't many people nearby, then perhaps you could take some online classes, or just use the dictionary for a while, and as you become better, go into deaf video-chatrooms such as camfrog and oovoo?

Back