learning disability?

jonnyghost

Reaction score
Why do I see Auditory processing disorder often referred to as a learning disability? I don't see it talked about with hard of hearing and I can't find a lot of difference in the effects of HOH vs APD. There are some but this biggest thing in both seems to be problems with auditory information.

I found this medical definition:
"learning disability n.
A disorder in the basic cognitive and psychological processes involved in using language or performing mathematical calculations, affecting persons of normal intelligence and not the result of emotional disturbance or impairment of sight or hearing."

It seems that by that definition it is NOT because the only time I have a problem learning is when I receive the information orally. Am I not understanding something here?

:wave:jonnyghost,

I have diagnosed learning disability <I self-referred to Disabled Student Services at college after continually failing remedial college math; also really wanted to determine why I had such difficulty with analog clocks>. I didn't know at that time about CAPD - nor did anyone mention it to me - or I'd have investigated that also. I have problems with auditory processing and sequence, which has been an issue as long as I can remember. Both of these things have affected employment for me. But I just started researching about CAPD in the last few years and found that it is variously, un-officially sometimes placed in the context of a "learning disability" and sometimes - depending on where you're looking - the term CAPD <or APD> is its own thing.
Also, if you investigate further sometimes you'll find CAPD as a category in an audi's website, as something they specifically are aware of and test for, because not all are, or do.

As far as I understand- and there are others who are more knowledgable than me - in terms of the results of CAPD and the results of being hoh - what I have seen so far says it can be similar.

One aspect that I've found different for myself, though is that <I'm hoh> - if I hear all the steps in a series of directions, or if I hear a question that starts with "what" - I may still answer that question in terms of "who" <which I used to do a lot more frequently and without being aware of it, really bothered my very literal boyfriend/husband> ; I may also not "get" all the steps in the series of directions. I may hear it, but it's like someone is speaking another language that I don't know, in parts of it. Or by the time the 3rd or 4th step or detail of the sequence has come along, I'll have just process the first part, or I'll have forgotten the first part. Or -some - of the first part I still have, so I recall something about a bucket and a closet, but what was in between or what connected them, is lost. If there's numbers in it, forget it- "feet" and that kinda thing mean nothing to me.
Now, if I can get a picture of ANY of that, then I'm good. But no picture, I can be lost.

Hmm, I see what your saying about multi step directions. I have that problem too but only if they are given orally like you mentioned if I get a picture of the steps there is no problem. I think your right in that I'm still trying to figure out the first part of what you said when you move on to the second. But it seems to me that the problem still isn't with learning as much as input.

Who is saying you have it? A doctor will say it is a physical issue. A social worker will say it is a social issue. A teacher will say it is an environment issue.

I think it can be any one of these things. In my opinion, you have a learning disability if you are unable to learn. The cause of that disability can be many things, but the result is the same.

You are what you are. If you said you have learning disability, then you're right. You said it so you must have it.

Who is saying you have it? A doctor will say it is a physical issue. A social worker will say it is a social issue. A teacher will say it is an environment issue.

I think it can be any one of these things. In my opinion, you have a learning disability if you are unable to learn. The cause of that disability can be many things, but the result is the same.

very true

I am not unable to learn. So you agree it is not a learning disability then?

This page Auditory Difficulties or Central auditory processing disorder CAPD
has a few articles on it; this one starting here: "ADHD, Central Auditory Processing Disorder, and Learning Disabilities" separates out LD, CAPD and some other things.

Here's a quote from another different article un-related to first:
"....Although CAPD is not considered a learning disability itself,
Musiek and others suspect that it may be the underlying cause of some
learning disabilities, especially those associated with language processing.
“It’s a prerequisite for a learning disability,” he explains. “It’s
not one of the neuromechanisms related to learning—it’s separate.
It’s a sensory process..." <from Dartmouth Medicine, Summer 2000>Person quoted happens to be an audi.

Then there's this article: Living and Working with a Central Auditory Processing Disorder (CAPD) | LD Topics | LD OnLine
Living and Working with a Central Auditory Processing Disorder (CAPD)

By: Judith W. Paton (1997)

So it does seem a bit confusing to me-

The main or middle one? yeah, it does make sense to me, too, in itself, what I was thinking was the degree of differing information floating around out there on it-

this one specifically "It’s not one of the neuromechanisms related to learning—it’s separate"

"Here's a quote from another different article un-related to first:
"....Although CAPD is not considered a learning disability itself,
Musiek and others suspect that it may be the underlying cause of some
learning disabilities, especially those associated with language processing.
“It’s a prerequisite for a learning disability,” he explains. “It’s
not one of the neuromechanisms related to learning—it’s separate.
It’s a sensory process..." <from Dartmouth Medicine, Summer 2000>Person quoted happens to be an audi."

Why do I see Auditory processing disorder often referred to as a learning disability? I don't see it talked about with hard of hearing and I can't find a lot of difference in the effects of HOH vs APD. There are some but this biggest thing in both seems to be problems with auditory information.

"learning disability n.
A disorder in the basic cognitive and psychological processes involved in using language or performing mathematical calculations, affecting persons of normal intelligence and not the result of emotional disturbance or impairment of sight or hearing."

It seems that by that definition it is NOT because the only time I have a problem learning is when I receive the information orally. Am I not understanding something here?

APD (and CAPD) do fall under learning disabilities.
Remember that while "hearing" people with APD/CAPD often function as Hoh ... technically APD/CAPD are NOT hearing issues, they are neurological language processing issues.

Because I'm Hoh/Deaf, and have APD I don't really think of it for myself as a learning disability - however that is because my hearing loss and APD are so interconnected that I really can't separate them out.

When I use disability services for university etc I register with them for interpreters and note-takers etc as Hoh/Deaf (with APD in brackets).

If I only had APD or CAPD then I'd still be able to apply to disability services etc for notetakers etc however the application is a bit different (because it isn't strictly part of the disability services "deaf and hard of hearing services" sub group.)

I hope that helps

Remember that while "hearing" people with APD/CAPD often function as Hoh ... technically APD/CAPD are NOT hearing issues, they are neurological language processing issues.

I understand that there are differences with HOH but I was under the impression that APD was not the same as language disorders. So if my problem is a sensory processing issue and not a language issue then it wouldn't be an issue with learning but perception?

"learning disability n.

LD OnLine: The world's leading website on learning disabilities and ADHD

Laura

Thanks for the link. Found this Visual and Auditory Processing Disorders | LD Topics | LD OnLine seems to be the clearest explanation I've found so far.

"An auditory processing deficit can interfere directly with speech and language, but can affect all areas of learning, especially reading and spelling. When instruction in school relies primarily on spoken language, the individual with an auditory processing disorder may have serious difficulty understanding the lesson or the directions."

Thanks for the link. Found this Visual and Auditory Processing Disorders | LD Topics | LD OnLine seems to be the clearest explanation I've found so far.

"An auditory processing deficit can interfere directly with speech and language, but can affect all areas of learning, especially reading and spelling. When instruction in school relies primarily on spoken language, the individual with an auditory processing disorder may have serious difficulty understanding the lesson or the directions."

Well, no shit, Sherlock....

If I were blindfolded and forced to rely on my very poor hearing in school, then I would be classified as having a learning disability, correct?

If that school used a method of teaching by using something other than spoken speech, and the students did well, do they still have LD?.

Take, for example, me. Took one Calculus class in college. The instructor spoke nonstop while writing on the blackboard. I was trying to absorb what the interpreter said at the same time keep an eye on the teacher's fingers pointing at all the variables. Had a different interpreter each week, and even though I understood the interpreter, I could not keep up, so I withdrew from the class.

All the hearing people passed that class. I took another class with a teacher that spoke less and used flash cards and real-world examples. Had paid note-takers as well. I passed with flying colors.

Does that mean I have LD because I am deaf and could not keep up with the first teacher's speeches? The first teacher would think so.....the second one may or may not.

Part of the traditional definition of learning disability according to various books and organizations, refers to a neurological problem with learning in certain areas, that is does -not- come from, or is un-related to, any peripheral vision or hearing loss.

Back