Learning disabilities.

Thanks Shel

Wow thank you for the great sites! There is enough in there to keep me learning for a while. The Wiley Interscience site is awesome! Thank you!
:wave:

I see. But you have written numbers of novel-like posts in here. You read a lot of posts (mix of short and long version). I'm wonder how you did that without ADD med.

I don't do it all day long. I post a few at a time and read a couple at a time, then go away and then I come back and read and post more. And I can hyper-focus sometimes, which results in long novel-like posts. But it doesn't happen all the time.

I say what he said, what she said, and what really happened. Oh what was this thread about again? :P

I don't do it all day long. I post a few at a time and read a couple at a time, then go away and then I come back and read and post more. And I can hyper-focus sometimes, which results in long novel-like posts. But it doesn't happen all the time.

I can hyper focus though I would not write novel length post like you. :lol: I find it difficult to focus on your novel length posts to be honest and I've been known to crunch 800 pages books that are considered dense like Gibbon's Decline and Fall of the Roman Empire. I just hyper focus on books.

Paradoxially, I can tell if I am going to have a hard time focusing if I can't focus on anything longer than a magazane article.

Wellbutrin for ADD? WTF. Clearly he put you on the wrong medication there. Wellbutrin was not designed to treat ADD/ADHD. It was designed to treat depression. And it can make you manic if you are Bipolar if you are not on a mood stabilizer too. It's no wonder the Wellbutrin didn't do shit for you. I know, I have a heavy interest in psychiatry.

Anyway, 15 minutes is not enough time to diagnose you. It takes way more time than that. Trust me. You probably had a crappy psychiatrist.

I'm guessing Progivil.

Almost all of the SSRI's and SNRI's are being used off-label for ADHD/ADD.

Some work better than others, so it quite possible that Wellbutrin was used. I would fact check before you start spouting random opinions.

Almost all of the SSRI's and SNRI's are being used off-label for ADHD/ADD.

Some work better than others, so it quite possible that Wellbutrin was used. I would fact check before you start spouting random opinions.

Certain antidepressants, such as amitriptyline (Elavil), desipramine (Norpramin), buproprion (Wellbutrin), fluoxetine (Prozac), and sertraline (Zoloft), have also been found to be effective in ADHD, especially when ADHD is accompanied by depressive symptoms.
ADHD Treatment

But normally if the patient is also suffering depression.

ADHD Treatment

But normally if the patient is also suffering depression.

Correct on that one.

Certain antidepressants, such as amitriptyline (Elavil), desipramine (Norpramin), buproprion (Wellbutrin), fluoxetine (Prozac), and sertraline (Zoloft), have also been found to be effective in ADHD, especially when ADHD is accompanied by depressive symptoms.

source provided by Botts

it doesn't always be taken with depression. It can be taken for other reasons too. For Jiro, they wanted to prescribe it to him because they felt it will help him with his smoking habit. Anyway, My husband doesn't take it although I did read about treatments.

it doesn't always be taken with depression. It can be taken for other reasons too. For Jiro, they wanted to prescribe it to him because they felt it will help him with his smoking habit. Anyway, My husband doesn't take it although I did read about treatments.

lol I don't smoke. From the tests, she said I have a mild case of ADD (or was it ADHD?) so wellbutrin should be good enough to deal with it. There's no need to go down to stronger route like Ritalin.

Ok , I thought she was saying she wanted you to look it as helping you quit smoking as well help ADHD... I didn't realize she was just trying to tell you that it isn't just for depression:

yea I know - I told her that I'm not depressed. She knows that and well if you look more into wellbutrin, you will find that it can be used for treating ADHD and even to wean off smoking addiction. Because my case was mild, it's not enough reason to prescribe Ritalin or Adderall for me. I asked for it but she can't do that because it's unethical of her to do that.

Ok , I thought she was saying she wanted you to look it as helping you quit smoking as well help ADHD... I didn't realize she was just trying to tell you that it isn't just for depression:

yep. I thought she was kinda bs'ing me that it's not just for depression. After the session - I did some research in Wellbutrin and found that it can be used for few things. weird but interesting, right?

yep. I thought she was kinda bs'ing me that it's not just for depression. After the session - I did some research in Wellbutrin and found that it can be used for few things. weird but interesting, right?

There's alot of off label use for many meds. The fact that wellbutrin was tried is NOT unusual. I can also see it being used to augment other meds (in the case of co-morbity). So, yeah.

Traditionally, though, meds like ritalin are used. Then, the SSRIs-SNRI's are used to augment or deal with co-morbid stuff.

whoa @ this thread! Will get back to you in a while. :)

This is my reaction as well. For what this is worth, I tend to agree with you and what you said. ADHD is being over diagnosed in the general population, so I can see where it is also being over diagnosed in the deaf community, simply for the fact that the deaf community is so small. I will say that I think the diagnosis is not made as readily in the adult population. So, it's both. It's a shame, too, because you still have people not getting the help they need, and yet, you have kids who are on medications when they really needn't be.

Go figure.

And, with that dear people.... I'm out. I care not to debate this any further. I just felt that some were coming down harder on Jiro then they need have, so I felt I needed to say something.

Take care all...

My youngest son has ADHD, and it has been so frustrated dealing with my son's school because of lack of patience and understanding, they get all worked up and suspended him right and left over something so small. I have often gave teachers suggestions and they don't even follow through. But, Thanks for the law like Section 504, it protects my son. My son now has special help at his school, such as reward for appropriate behaviors, frequently breaks when he gets frustrated, short tests, extra time on school work and homework and many more!. It's been working out great so far.. :)

My point in all of this is where Jiro needs to exercise discretion in his opinions when he claims to know "facts" when it is far from fiction in this subject.

I still stand on my opinion that people who do not have ADD/ADHD should not share opinions on this subject until they have experienced this, lived through this as well as gone through this pain.

I definitely agree. I didn't know much about ADHD until I learned after my son was diagnosed of ADHD, I went to ADHD support group meeting where parents of ADHD children meet to discuss and get information how to work with your child, and I've read many books on ADHD, most of all those parents with children who have ADHD had experience the same problems as I had went through when it comes down to public education, how ADHD children often get in trouble at school and how the teachers expect these students to sit completely still and not move. The school staffs need to understand that those children are different and when the school staffs don't understand those children, it makes it even worse.

Back