learning ASL

lucas

Reaction score
Ive decided to learn asl but i duno how i should go about doing this. Should i join a class or would it be better for me to just add some people who are fluent in asl on skype and learn with them? Ideas. The reason i ask is money is tight for me

If you prefer online, try Google to see some pro-ASL websites. There are so many great sites. :)

Ive decided to learn asl but i duno how i should go about doing this. Should i join a class or would it be better for me to just add some people who are fluent in asl on skype and learn with them? Ideas. The reason i ask is money is tight for me

Try Lifeprint.com. And asltrainer.com.

Both have helped me a lot. Good Luck

Well, I know George Brown College offers ASL courses. However, you mentioned that you're tight on money... the best suggestion I can make is for you to go to Deaf Culture Centre and see what events they have coming up. This way, you can socialize with them.

yeah but i figured i should learn a little bit before going so that way im not just standing there like a doofus

ha. i know what you mean. where do you live? lets see if someone from ad member who lives close to you.. it is a good start with from there? what do you think?

My hubby didn't know any ASL when he started hanging out with my deaf roommates. He communicated using pen and paper and then he learned more and more each year. Now, it is natural to him hut he still signs more in English syntax than in ASL syntax.

Lucas, I'm near you but just early days of learning ASL myself. What about Canadian Hearing Society? Or Bob Rumball Centre? Not sure on costs.
George Brown courses (night school) start in September, unfortunately. They do offer bursaries to help with course/book costs.

is there a Deaf Culture Centre in the GTA? I haven't found much online in the Toronto area other than the Bob Rumball Centre and the CHS (and George Brown) but that sounds like something I would like to check out!

Lucas, I am glad you want to learn ASL and best of luck with your journey. :)

Back