learning ASL question???

Lexiemanning

Reaction score
How many signs a week should I be learning? I don't want
to get in over my head. My dad bought me Barron's 500
flash cards for American Sign Language. Also is there
any books I should read to help me learn about: sentence
structure, Deaf Culture, and so on??? Please and thank you.

Honestly the best thing to do would be to take a class. There is no way you can learn ASL from a book because there are many variations of signs, also sentence is something a teacher can explain very well. Also what helps is interacting with Deaf and hard-of-hearing individuals. With ASL you need to develop your receptive and expressive abilities. I hope this helps.

Honestly I don't have the money to take a class
at this point. Also the nearest classes are 30 min
away, so gas coupled with paying for classes isn't
cheap. I'd love to be able to take classes... For now
I have to work with what I have. I'm trying to find
out what I should be doing within the means I have
at this point. When I have the money to take lessons
I will cause I know I learn much better in a hands
on environment. I have even considered searching for
a Deaf person in my town to take on teaching me, but
at this point I have no money since I'm staying home
to help my parents. This is me: Family first.

Wirelessly posted (Blackberry Bold )

www.aslpro.com is also very good for vocabulary, idioms etc.

I've actually heard bad things about ASLPro from an Arts teacher in High School. Her credentials to say so?- She taught at the Louisiana School for the Deaf for years. Of course, she could be referring to regional differences and much don't match ours, I don't know. I suggest using Lifeprint though, free lessons. 1 or 2 Lessons a day should suffice (at least that's what I did) and then used the weekend to review the entire week. Work at your own pace. Also, I found a PDF for ASL grammar that was well written, thankfully I saved it before the link went down. I can email it to you through here or other means (I'm not familiar with how this site works). Best of luck to you and remember, practice makes perfect- especially when you can have someone to correct you and give feedback.

Lifeprint is from California and so regional differences still apply. However, in a few instances the alternate versions of signs that he offers as 'I don't recommend' have been the ones I was told to use by my teachers.

Lifeprint.com was very useful. I referred to that site a lot while studying. I still do.

Maybe these sites could be of use as well? I haven't really delved into the details, but I had them saved for later to check out. Hope they could be of use to you. :)

WELCOME - Home
Free Online Sign Language Classes

I've actually heard bad things about ASLPro from an Arts teacher in High School. Her credentials to say so?- She taught at the Louisiana School for the Deaf for years. Of course, she could be referring to regional differences and much don't match ours, I don't know. I suggest using Lifeprint though, free lessons. 1 or 2 Lessons a day should suffice (at least that's what I did) and then used the weekend to review the entire week. Work at your own pace. Also, I found a PDF for ASL grammar that was well written, thankfully I saved it before the link went down. I can email it to you through here or other means (I'm not familiar with how this site works). Best of luck to you and remember, practice makes perfect- especially when you can have someone to correct you and give feedback.

Here's my take as someone fluent in ASL who's lived in various places:

aslpro.com tends not to be regional. They intentionally select the most dominantly used / most widely recognized variants of signs in their videos - which is a good thing, unless you live in an area with heavy regionalization.

Lifeprint is an alright resource, but can be very regionalized, making it better for people living in the area the site is from, but less helpful to those living in areas that have less regionalization.

Chiming in a bit late, but here are my 2c's...

Regarding the original question, my suggestion is to take a good dictionary (I like the Gallaudet dictionary w/ the DVD available at many libraries... or the NTID dictionary iPhone app) and just watch every video as fast as you can comprehend them and perform the sign yourself, either in random order or ideally in word frequency order (if you know how to easily). Watch as many per day as time allows, and push yourself even when you think you're getting tired. Do worry about reproducing the sign correctly (handshapes, position, motion, etc) but don't worry about memorization... visual/muscle memory is better than rote memorization, and you won't have perfect recall a week from now regardless. You will, however, have a much better vocabulary and general recognition of many signs. When I first started learning, I aimed for ~500 signs per day (about an hour or so/day), so the Gallaudet dictionary took me about a week to get through. I would repeat this every few months, until I recognized most of the signs, and then I started making shorter lists of signs that I had more difficulty with.

Regarding sentence structure, etc....
I agree that LifePrint is an excellent introduction. Yes, some of his signs are regional, but if you read his dictionary pages, he discusses regional variations quite well and more importantly, discusses how you should think about variations (e.g., ask local Deaf and use whatever they sign when signing with them). My recommendation is to watch the online lessons and then read all of the dictionary entries (there are only ~1000 of them, so again, doable in a couple weeks with some dedicated effort).

For more advanced discussions of sentence structure and Deaf culture, Google search "ASL green books" and look through the student and teacher guides. Pretty dense, but gets into all of the detail. I also found "Intermediate Conversational Sign Language" by Madsen a good source for glossed sentences, so you can see examples of how to communicate different ideas using ASL sentence structure. (My local library had all of these)

And finally, the absolute most important thing, as for learning any language, is to practice with native signers. Don't voice and practice having whatever conversation you can, even if it takes a long time. The best (and most fun!) way to learn a sign is by using it in conversation. There are a lot of psychological barriers to language learning... try not to think in terms of "getting in over you head" and don't be afraid to make mistakes.

Good luck!

Back