Hello! My name is Brittney and I am in a sign language class that includes a research project. My topic is on the Accessibility Laws for the Deaf. Below are some questions I have for anyone here willing to help! I would love to get different perspectives from people with different backgrounds and stories as to why you are here and what pushed you to care about the American with Disabilities Act.
- I first would love to know about you! What brought you to this website? What is the story behind your passion for the rights of the deaf community? Do you know sign language?
- What are you most passionate about changing when it comes to accessibility laws for the deaf? The front page of the NAD website pushes for "stronger rules in place to ensure that all deaf and hard of hearing people have access to emergency information and alerts". Is this an important movement the NAD is pushing for right now to you? Do you believe this stems from the issue before COVID briefings how there were not interpreters at every important message from the government or healthcare officials?
- Are there any laws to protect the deaf community in the job market? I know that the ADA requires employers to make sure that communication with the deaf and hard of hearing employees is provided and effective, but wouldn't that push an employer away from hiring someone if they had to hire an interpreter as well to be able to talk to their new employee?
- Are you aware of any loopholes in the current laws that you have experienced firsthand or heard of when talking to deaf individuals? How badly was the deaf individual impacted from the experience? Do you have any suggestions for fixing those loopholes or generating better workarounds?
- What is the most common issue you hear about by deaf individuals when it comes to something that could be prevented by law? Is it discrimination in the workplace, issues in emergency situations, or anything else?
- What would you recommend people do to help bring equality and push for the end of discrimination against the deaf community?
- Is there anything else you have to add that you think would be valuable information? This research project is intended to inform and my presentation is aimed to help my fellow classmates understand the laws better and potentially fight for better equality.