LCD Screen Technoloy in smartphone & computers

naisho

Forum Disorders M.D.,Ph.D
Reaction score
I think glare is my problem. My wife's new laptop has a mat screen and it feels so much nicer on my eyes.

You may be noticing the difference between LCD panels? Same thing in the smartphone industry now. IPS, TN, TFT, SLCD, etc.

2ec23a823ccdf88ae7914a2912d9b1a8.JPG

It's a matte LCD screen. You can see that it's textured and not glossy even when it's turned off. It was interesting, the place we bought it from had really bright lights and it was the only laptop in there that you could see the screen on.

matte on the left
http://files.tested.com/uploads/0/1761/4858-macbook_pro_side_by_side_outside_from_left_mg_9304.jpg
I may have non-up to date information, it's been awhile since I researched exclusively on this area.

if I recall correctly, the screen finish type (matte, non-matte, gloss, etc) is mutually exclusive of the function in brightness under bright lights - I think that is determined by the LCD pixel technology - those are what they call TN, IPS, TFT and so on. TFT is the standard for 'cheap' laptops and smartphones, which is why they don't get good visual quality in high brightness conditions like under studio lights or the sun. The TFTs generally come with cheap non-gloss screens, too. The LCD screen is something else, it is "cover" for finishing preference if the person prefers a reflective or non-reflective image.

If you look at the same source you used for your photo, he puts both Macbook in more tests that show the differences under lighting. The guy ended up choosing the non-glare (matte) version.
StrongMocha.com
MacBook%20Pro%20side%20by%20side%20inside_MG_9319.jpg

MacBook%20Pro%20non-Glare%201_MG_9292.jpg

MacBook%20Pro%20Glare%201_MG_9286.jpg

Overall, the LCD pixel technology is supposedly the decision in deciding which device has the "best brightness" under real world conditions, but the finish (reflective or non-reflective) should be a user preference thing.

You can see some examples on the LCD technologies I took here a few months back, based on smartphone displays: http://www.alldeaf.com/deaf-products-technologies/111429-htc-one-sg-4-a.html#post2179773

Most of my screen glare is minimized by not aiming my screens at windows.

if I recall correctly, the screen finish type (matte, non-matte, gloss, etc) is mutually exclusive of the function in brightness under bright lights

You are correct. The screen finish does not affect the brightness. It affect glare. It's a big problem for me at work because I'm in a shop under large florescent lights and some times all I can see is the reflection of the lights. With my wife's laptop it wasn't that the bright lights where washing out the image on the other computers it was that all you could see was the reflection of the lights on the screen

You are correct. The screen finish does not affect the brightness. It affect glare. It's a big problem for me at work because I'm in a shop under large florescent lights and some times all I can see is the reflection of the lights. With my wife's laptop it wasn't that the bright lights where washing out the image on the other computers it was that all you could see was the reflection of the lights on the screen

Ah yeah. Sometimes it sucks when there is a specific laptop people like but it's held back by the screen technology. I have a Lenovo T61p with one of the highest resolutions offered in laptops (1920x1200) but it sucks under bright conditions - I just can't see squat without cranking up to max brightness, even then it's not enough, only TFT designs are offered for this resolution.
Thankfully I think some big heads are starting to catch on and realize gloss is not everything - I read that apple had been reducing the amount of "reflective prettiness" they were previously putting into their devices.

I'm wondering if LED might contribute brightness. On my triple screen, I have one old Dell monitor that are using old florescent background lighting and two ASUS monitors has LED technology. Two ASUS monitors seems to be more brighter than my Dell monitor.

Just wondering.

Yes, LED is more brighter and lasts longer than old florescent and plus it saves energy.

I'm wondering if LED might contribute brightness. On my triple screen, I have one old Dell monitor that are using old florescent background lighting and two ASUS monitors has LED technology. Two ASUS monitors seems to be more brighter than my Dell monitor.

Just wondering.

My MBP is matte screen - known as naked screen without glossy coating.

My Samsung monitor for gaming rig is glossy screen because I previously bought first monitor had grainy on screen so I went with glossy screen to give a better contrast and no grain on screen.

This website should be good information if you're curious about buying TV, computer monitor, laptop monitor, etc. Smartphone is a little different, need to read forums to find the LCD manufacturer.

TN Film, MVA, PVA and IPS - Panel Technologies

It has to do with how the individual pixels in the monitor are lined up.
_TNIPS2.GIF

If you have good vision, you can tell the difference between the LCD technology very easily.
imgp4681.jpg

DSCN0579.jpg

Back