Law Enforcement

mguiao

Reaction score
I don't understand why it's hard for people who's hoh to get employed but then for people who are blind and have glasses are most likely to get employed. -_-'
Right now I'm working on majoring in criminal justice and I was just wondering if there are any police officers or swat members who are currently working with hearing aids on or if anybody knows if they can do that, if not..then they just destroyed my dream career. It already happened once. I tried to get into the marines and the army but then I wasn't qualified since I wear hearing aids.

Try doing a Google Search. Seems like i have seen some articles in the past on law enforcement and hard of hearing. I think i read that one officer they wouldn't let wear there hearing aide in the academy and you had to hear certain sounds... can't remember all that i read. but I'm sure if you search for it you will find it.

Also I think the Man is now a sheriff because they have different qualifications and he was able to do that.

I'm sorry, but I had to disagree. Deaf do get more job opportunities than Blind.

Whats more important is think positive with positive attitude. Not everybody reached their goal or dream. This including myself, I didn't reach some goals, however I am able to self sufficient so I'm ok.

You never know something better might happen to you as it already happened to me. No one really predicts their destiny until in their end.

There are plenty of opportunities, question to ask yourself... Should you limit yourself potentials?

It possibly depends on your level of hearing. I would think hearing is one of the senses that is important for a police officer, since they have to be hyper-aware of their surroundings and what is going on around them. I am sure that a deaf person COULD make a great police officer, but considering the level of danger in the job, it may be a benefit to have all the senses working at full level.

I don't understand why it's hard for people who's hoh to get employed but then for people who are blind and have glasses are most likely to get employed. -_-'
Right now I'm working on majoring in criminal justice and I was just wondering if there are any police officers or swat members who are currently working with hearing aids on or if anybody knows if they can do that, if not..then they just destroyed my dream career. It already happened once. I tried to get into the marines and the army but then I wasn't qualified since I wear hearing aids.

Actually, many more deaf than blind are employed in the U.S.

You don't neccessarily have to limit yourself to being a street officer. There are many jobs you can do that involve criminology and still be deaf.

mguiao,
I have to agree with them on here, however, I believe there are a thousand of positions related to criminal justice or criminology career. I do not think it will destroy your dream career in criminal justice and i encourage you to explore there is thousands of positions related to criminal justice career and it wasn't easy to explore and choose what do you want to be. There is no guaranteed that you will get a job in tactical and dangerous environment involved a level of hearing requirement but there is another way to obtain a different job in criminal justice career like US Homeland, FBI, CIA, NSA, and etc. . Trust me that i have been there before. I will be more than happy to discuss and talk with you over the videophone or email either.
I want to introduce myself to you… my name is Jason and I am a junior student at Florida State University and I am majoring in criminology program for Bachelor and Master degree. Right now I have been involved in the underwater crime scene program and criminalistics program (Its forensic science). It was awesome and amazing for me and I am glad that I am first deaf to be diver for the underwater crime scene program at Florida State University and only the FSU is number one for teaching in the world.
I have to cut my short time for me to get this off and have to be prepared for spring semester and I wish you good luck for your dream and decision. Please feel away to ask me any questions.

I don't think there are blind police officers.

I too want to be a cop and it's basically the only job I can see myself doing it for rest of my life but that's not gonna happen. You'll have to bite the bullet and there are many ways for you to serve your community the same way that police does.

good luck and keep your head up. :cool2:

I have heard the same, that some areas employ police officers with a hearing loss, and other areas won't.

If the OP is interested in law enforcement in general, and his/her area won't hire deaf police officers, there's always other options like forensics if the OP would be interested in that.

I have heard the same, that some areas employ police officers with a hearing loss, and other areas won't.

If the OP is interested in law enforcement in general, and his/her area won't hire deaf police officers, there's always other options like forensics if the OP would be interested in that.

and support team such as IT, desk job, volunteer axillary, community outreach, etc.

mind you - usually when one has a college degree, one goes for state police or higher echelon at large city police department. college degree is not needed to be a local police officer.

mguiao - specifically what do you want to be in LEO field?

Mguaio,

I have to agree with Jiro about college degree..There is about 80 or more percent however mostly state trooper and local law enforcement/deputies have high school diploma and must have law enforcement certifcate issued by state. (I have met some law enforcement officials who told me results about comparsion of college degree and certification). I guarantee you that college degree would get you obtain a good job in any field related to the criminal justice.... My curiousty, Have you thought about student temporary employment program (STEP) through federal agencies like US Homeland, USSS (US Secret Sevice), DOD (Department of Defense), and etc and you might want to look it up and apply application job with STEP OR you can contact the sheriff or local police department and see if they offer their internship program to students. I said there is thousand of the positions related to the criminal justices.

There is sample positions fro criminal justice career and it might help you decide and choose it for your dream career.

Law Enforcement Careers

Police Officer
Detective

County Sheriff / Deputy Sheriff
Canine Officer / K9 Handler

State Trooper / Highway Patrol Officer
Public Safety Officer

Narcotics Officer / Narc
Harbor Police Officer

Park Ranger
Constable

Animal Cruelty Investigator
Mounted Police Officer

Conservation Officer
Community Liaison Officer

Federal Law Enforcement Careers
FBI Special Agent
CIA Agent

DEA Agent
Deputy U.S. Marshal

Secret Service Special Agent
ATF Special Agent

ICE Special Agent
Transportation Security Officer (TSO)

Federal Air Marshal
Border Patrol Agent

CBP Officer
U.S. Capitol Police

Immigration Officer, FDNS
U.S. Postal Service Inspector

Diplomatic Security Special Agent
Director of Airport Security

Correctional Careers
Corrections Officer
Correctional Counselor

Federal Correctional Officer
Probation Officer

Parole Officer
Juvenile Probation Officer

Victim Witness Assistant
Federal Probation Officer

Correctional Classification Supervisor
Community Correctional Officer

Forensic Science / CSI Careers

Crime Scene Investigator (CSI) – Forensic Examiner
Latent Print Examiner – Finger Print Examiner
Forensic Accountant
Forensic Anthropologist
Forensic Artist
Forensic Hypnotist
Forensic Nurse
Forensic Pathologist
Forensic Psychologist
Forensic Serologist
Forensic Toxicologist

Legal / Court Careers

Judge
Defense Attorney
Paralegal, Legal Assistant, or Legal Researcher
Juvenile Court Judge
Probate Judge
Prosecutor
Bailiff
Pre-trial Officer
Juvenile Court Register
Court Clerk

Private Security and Contractor Careers

Loss Prevention Officer – Loss Prevention Manager
Bounty Hunter – Bail Enforcement Agent
Security Officer
Fraud Investigator
Insurance Investigator
Private Investigator
Security Analyst
Security Operations Manager

I work on the fire/rescue side of things in my area, but we do have a subject who just got through his fire and EMS training who wears HAs. He is HoH, but is able to hear what people are saying and understand it without reading lips, etc. He is able to do anything in the field - he even drives the ambulance. As far as a deaf firefighter, I am not sure (or police for that matter). The biggest issue I can think of is that the majority of communication on a fireground, or responding to an incident, is done over portable radio system... If you can't hear that, it would make it hard to coordinate things you may need to know (ex. an emergency evacuation of a collapsing building on fire). You may be able to be a field officer, but on a 2 person crew (2 to a car). There are many other positions in the LE field and even on the fire side that you could easily get in - logistics, detective work, processing, etc...

I work in the city again tomorrow - I am going to talk to some folks and see what I can find out about requirements and such. Not sure that the topic of a deaf officer has come up in the area (as surprising as that may be). I will get back to those who are interested in an answer.

Mguaio,

I have to agree with Jiro about college degree..There is about 80 or more percent however mostly state trooper and local law enforcement/deputies have high school diploma and must have law enforcement certifcate issued by state. (I have met some law enforcement officials who told me results about comparsion of college degree and certification). I guarantee you that college degree would get you obtain a good job in any field related to the criminal justice.... My curiousty, Have you thought about student temporary employment program (STEP) through federal agencies like US Homeland, USSS (US Secret Sevice), DOD (Department of Defense), and etc and you might want to look it up and apply application job with STEP OR you can contact the sheriff or local police department and see if they offer their internship program to students. I said there is thousand of the positions related to the criminal justices.

There is sample positions fro criminal justice career and it might help you decide and choose it for your dream career.

Law Enforcement Careers

Police Officer
Detective

County Sheriff / Deputy Sheriff
Canine Officer / K9 Handler

State Trooper / Highway Patrol Officer
Public Safety Officer

Narcotics Officer / Narc
Harbor Police Officer

Park Ranger
Constable

Animal Cruelty Investigator
Mounted Police Officer

Conservation Officer
Community Liaison Officer

Federal Law Enforcement Careers
FBI Special Agent
CIA Agent

DEA Agent
Deputy U.S. Marshal

Secret Service Special Agent
ATF Special Agent

ICE Special Agent
Transportation Security Officer (TSO)

Federal Air Marshal
Border Patrol Agent

CBP Officer
U.S. Capitol Police

Immigration Officer, FDNS
U.S. Postal Service Inspector

Diplomatic Security Special Agent
Director of Airport Security

Correctional Careers
Corrections Officer
Correctional Counselor

Federal Correctional Officer
Probation Officer

Parole Officer
Juvenile Probation Officer

Victim Witness Assistant
Federal Probation Officer

Correctional Classification Supervisor
Community Correctional Officer

Forensic Science / CSI Careers

Crime Scene Investigator (CSI) – Forensic Examiner
Latent Print Examiner – Finger Print Examiner
Forensic Accountant
Forensic Anthropologist
Forensic Artist
Forensic Hypnotist
Forensic Nurse
Forensic Pathologist
Forensic Psychologist
Forensic Serologist
Forensic Toxicologist

Legal / Court Careers

Judge
Defense Attorney
Paralegal, Legal Assistant, or Legal Researcher
Juvenile Court Judge
Probate Judge
Prosecutor
Bailiff
Pre-trial Officer
Juvenile Court Register
Court Clerk

Private Security and Contractor Careers

Loss Prevention Officer – Loss Prevention Manager
Bounty Hunter – Bail Enforcement Agent
Security Officer
Fraud Investigator
Insurance Investigator
Private Investigator
Security Analyst
Security Operations Manager

Ohhh, I love some of those fields. I've always wanted to become a detective, forensic, attorney, and so on.. :hmm:

...I work in the city again tomorrow - I am going to talk to some folks and see what I can find out about requirements and such. Not sure that the topic of a deaf officer has come up in the area (as surprising as that may be). I will get back to those who are interested in an answer.
Thanks for the info.

There was a deaf police officer in Alaska but sadly, he was killed in line of duty last year.

Back