late deafened and new here

gaiagardener

Reaction score
hi everyone! I have been slowly losing my hearing for over 30yrs and now have profound hearing loss. I wear a BAHA (bone anchored hearing aid) on one side and am fully deaf on the other side. I live in Canada and I’m trying to learn ASL but it’s a challenge learning a new language later in life.

We've had 3 or 4 here from Canada over last couple, several years? Prince Edward, Montréal, may be Vancouver? Most were young if I remember correctly, with all the school closings there are some good YouTube teachers now, my new favorite is Tammy Carpinter, if I spelt that correctly, depends where your at on your journey, lost track of her back couple years, now she's back better than before :applause:

Thanks for the tip! I think I watched her videos in the past, One Fact ASL is her current youtube channel I think. I watch some of the Bill Vicars and ASL Meredith videos too.

Correct ,one fact, and Meredith in my list, Florida School for Deaf and Blind, kinda advanced has one guy great for mouth meams, I used to love the stories from was it Dalis Resource Center now Texas school for Deaf, so many, liked the one in Colorado what was it ? maybe Denver school for Deaf there stories were more k-3 where as Tex. was more - 5 or 6, the Decoda school was more SEE sign exact english, but has great songs and was it geography? Before I had so many I had them cataloged, guess I'll have to do again :lol:

Correct ,one fact, and Meredith in my list, Florida School for Deaf and Blind, kinda advanced has one guy great for mouth meams, I used to love the stories from was it Dalis Resource Center now Texas school for Deaf, so many, liked the one in Colorado what was it ? maybe Denver school for Deaf there stories were more k-3 where as Tex. was more - 5 or 6, the Decoda school was more SEE sign exact english, but has great songs and was it geography? Before I had so many I had them cataloged, guess I'll have to do again :lol:
Hello I want let you know that I was graduated from fsdb class of 1987 my name is Todd it nice to meet you

hi everyone! I have been slowly losing my hearing for over 30yrs and now have profound hearing loss. I wear a BAHA (bone anchored hearing aid) on one side and am fully deaf on the other side. I live in Canada and I’m trying to learn ASL but it’s a challenge learning a new language later in life.
Hi I'm robbie and it nice to meet u I know how u feel

Are you in Texas?

Hi @gaiagardener , I feel you on this. I am recently deaf this past march and it has been a struggle to learn and then have people to practice with to maintain all absorbed info! I think I saw someone mention Bill Vicars. I keep his youtube channel up on my phone, because if I know the topic I will be conversing, I like to be able to quickly type in " how to sign" and his videos are the fastest and in my opinion easiest to learn from. I also started signing everything I was doing in my house. If I was going to the fridge to get some milk...i would sign to myself...then try to go off the topic of milk and kitchens, then food...it helps immerse you a little more to keep doing it daily. Also helps to have great support amongst friends, even if they are hearing, sign while you speak and you will find they start to engage in learning as well.

I hope you have an easier time as time goes on.

Bex :)

I remember when I was learning ASL the hard part was that it has nothing to do with your voice. You arent just learning a new language, you're learning to use a new tool, your hands. The language isn't all that hard, your hands you've been using them all your life, you just have to match the words and signs :) Do you know any other languages? I think a difficult thing for me to pick up because I didn't know any other languages was sentence structure. ASL is different than English, as in other languages. SOV, SVO, all that. Practicing this more might help you.

videos in the past, One Fact ASL is her current youtube channel I think. I watch some of the Bill Vicars and ASL Meredith videos too.

Just a question and am curious about? Does all deaf from different countries do learn ASL or just their own sign accents? I wonder?

Back