KristinaB's Garage Conversion

Status
Not open for further replies.
Now, moving on, we have filling in the hole with the septic tank, and then the area for the drain field lines, then, it's all leveled out, ready for grading and sod. Then moving onward, we have the pad laid out for the extension. Part of rebar in place. Water line dug, and then a long view of the water line. Finally, a massive tree root ball from a 100 foot or so palm tree that we cut down. These last 4 pictures were from today, before the rain hit.

Filling in the hole.jpg

area for the drain field lines..jpg

All finished..jpg

extension pad for concrete.jpg

Water line dug.jpg

Water line long view.jpg

massive palm tree root ball to be removed.jpg

UPDATE!!!

Concrete will be poured tomorrow (Friday) as long as the rain holds out. Then, next Wednesday the concrete blocks will be delivered and the walls begin to go up for the extension. At that point, they will also begin to remove the garage doors and fill those spaces and also the space where the side door currently is. Within the next 3 weeks, weather permitting, we should have the extension up and roofed and all block completed. Then come windows and doors.

Concrete all done. 2 1/2 truck loads. They got it all done and after about 1 hour of sitting and hardening, the rain has started. Luckily, the part that is outside (the extension) was done first and already quite hard. I will upload pictures a little later of all that.

Concrete all done. 2 1/2 truck loads. They got it all done and after about 1 hour of sitting and hardening, the rain has started. Luckily, the part that is outside (the extension) was done first and already quite hard. I will upload pictures a little later of all that.

Sounds like good progress. I wonder, will they put up rafters and have a normal roof, or will it keep the flat roof as a house?

Sounds like good progress. I wonder, will they put up rafters and have a normal roof, or will it keep the flat roof as a house?

The roof on the garage/house will stay the same. It is flat, but there is a slant to the edges. I will try and get a picture to show what I am saying. I think TXGolfer knows what roof I speaking of. The extension will also have a flat roof with a slight pitch for drainage.

Is this where Jimmy Hoffa's body is buried? :lol:

Is this where Jimmy Hoffa's body is buried? :lol:

There is no telling. I do know that we have so far had 6 massive tree roots removed and there is 1 more, then contractor will also be removing roots to some crawling plant MIL has on her side.

Concrete block was delivered today. Also, the contractor was here and they have removed all the wood supports from where they poured the concrete. All of it is dry and cured. Tomorrow and Friday they will be removing all windows, doors and garage doors. The garage doors will be the hardest as they are 12 foot tall. On Saturday (depending on weather) contractor will be back to map and mark all spaces for the new windows and doors. Then next week, they will begin install all the block and such.

Concrete block was delivered today. Also, the contractor was here and they have removed all the wood supports from where they poured the concrete. All of it is dry and cured. Tomorrow and Friday they will be removing all windows, doors and garage doors. The garage doors will be the hardest as they are 12 foot tall. On Saturday (depending on weather) contractor will be back to map and mark all spaces for the new windows and doors. Then next week, they will begin install all the block and such.

What an amazing journey, Kristina. Anxious for the day you can actually move in, as I know you are also.

What an amazing journey, Kristina. Anxious for the day you can actually move in, as I know you are also.

So far, the contractor is estimating now that we will be in for Thanksgiving.

That would be a wonderful celebration!

Seems kind of weird seeing the garage with no doors at all. Also, the golfing dude started up again last night late. Our neighbor heard this weird "pinging" noise and went out with a camera and baseball bat to investigate. She saw the guy golfing and took about 15 pictures and went back home. She called MIL this morning to let us know. Also, she went to the Town Hall to report it, they can't do anything, so she went to a neighbor who is a Sheriff's officer to talk with him. He saw her pictures and has filed a report. They came and checked things out today and the contractor's back-hoe has a few dings in it. Officer took photos and contacted the contractor. Legal charges will be filed now.

Seems kind of weird seeing the garage with no doors at all. Also, the golfing dude started up again last night late. Our neighbor heard this weird "pinging" noise and went out with a camera and baseball bat to investigate. She saw the guy golfing and took about 15 pictures and went back home. She called MIL this morning to let us know. Also, she went to the Town Hall to report it, they can't do anything, so she went to a neighbor who is a Sheriff's officer to talk with him. He saw her pictures and has filed a report. They came and checked things out today and the contractor's back-hoe has a few dings in it. Officer took photos and contacted the contractor. Legal charges will be filed now.

:giggle:...Oh boy....the "Undie Golfer"....wish you could have taken some pixs and posted 'em....Is he doing this out of aggravation due to the construction...or just for the hell of it? (if you know)....

:giggle:...Oh boy....the "Undie Golfer"....wish you could have taken some pixs and posted 'em....Is he doing this out of aggravation due to the construction...or just for the hell of it? (if you know)....

He does it purely because he is bored and he like to golf. He does not speak English and does not work. He gets bored easily since he doesn't do anything. He moved to night-time golfing, but really didn't think about the equipment out there. We do have lights in the back so it is visible (due to the equipment and then also the rebar sticking up out of the ground).

The Town Hall told us and the contractor, that times to do any work, run from 7am to 8pm or when it is safe. Our contractor starts with the machinery after 9am and is gone by 5 or 6 pm. When this man and the lady in the house had a party and a lot of people out in their yard, our contractor was polite and did quiet work inside the garage or in the front.

He does it purely because he is bored and he like to golf. He does not speak English and does not work. He gets bored easily since he doesn't do anything. He moved to night-time golfing, but really didn't think about the equipment out there. We do have lights in the back so it is visible (due to the equipment and then also the rebar sticking up out of the ground).

The Town Hall told us and the contractor, that times to do any work, run from 7am to 8pm or when it is safe. Our contractor starts with the machinery after 9am and is gone by 5 or 6 pm. When this man and the lady in the house had a party and a lot of people out in their yard, our contractor was polite and did quiet work inside the garage or in the front.

If we live in deaf city, it's not a problem at all for contractors to start at 5 am till midnight...

Well - today the team is cutting channels in the concrete block walls in the existing garage for rebar supports that are part of the new hurricane code compliance. They are also cutting the channel in the block for rebar and then the wood pieces (not sure what it's called) for the roof joists of the addition.They started early and are working quickly with short breaks since we have storms coming in. Right now, the sky is turning dark blue to black with a new storm.

This is all the concrete being poured for the foundation and in the garage to raise the floor.

100_1374.jpg

100_1385.jpg

100_1388.jpg

100_1391.jpg

Here they are cutting in the channels to add more rebar for hurricane code changes and to make the walls more stable. Then we have the channels. They are on both side of all existing windows and doors. In one of the pictures, there is a channel cut over a door. This was done for a piece of rebar and also that's where the roof of the extension will meet on the garage.

100_1405.jpg

100_1407.jpg

100_1409.jpg

Now, this bunch is the block work. They are building the walls for the extension, closing in the bay doors and closing in 3 of the existing windows. In the last (I think) picture you will see a man caught in mid-step. That is our contractor.

100_1411.jpg

100_1412.jpg

100_1415.jpg

100_1417.jpg

100_1422.jpg

100_1423.jpg

100_1425.jpg

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back