Kkk Wins 'adopt-a-highway' Ruling In Georgia High Court

Could the meaning intended be that we had a President and a Supreme Court Justice both of whom were members at the same time in history. But . . . it was two different individuals?

Also, could the reference be not to positive contributions but to the fact that they influenced our history?
Maybe.

Oh wow, except Reba, y'all should forget about lengthy of KKK's histories with violence.

i found all this out by doing google searches for who was in..
i knew about about black from an article in a time life secret society special addition.

well there is mount rushmore.

The artist who created Mount Rushmore, Gutzon Borglum, was an active member of the KKK. He reportedly served on one of their councils. When his involvement with the group came to light later, he publicly denounced the KKK.

he denounced them
but he still was one of them.

Are you saying because he created Mount Rushmore that he contributed to the U.S. gov.? It is true that Borglum was for a few years a member of the KKK, but he was also a freemason as was George Washington. He created the models for Mt Rushmore and helped lay out the busts locations on the mountain and it's overall design, but his son Lincoln oversaw more of the construction aspects of the monument than did Gutzon. Although there have been members of Congress and even a Presidents who were at one time members of the KKK, the group as a whole has done nothing but promote hate in the U.S. So what should we do about these people who have contributed to American Society and were members of the KKK, and are now dead, strike their names from the history books?

Are you saying because he created Mount Rushmore that he contributed to the U.S. gov.?

well it is a National Memorial...so i look at it as a contribution, certainly to american culture and society. who maintins and upkeeps rushmore anyway?

It is true that Borglum was for a few years a member of the KKK, but he was also a freemason as was George Washington.

indeed he was.

He created the models for Mt Rushmore and helped lay out the busts locations on the mountain and it's overall design, but his son Lincoln oversaw more of the construction aspects of the monument than did Gutzon. Although there have been members of Congress and even a Presidents who were at one time members of the KKK, the group as a whole has done nothing but promote hate in the U.S. So what should we do about these people who have contributed to American Society and were members of the KKK, and are now dead, strike their names from the history books?

no. certainly don't strike their names form history or the books. that's the opposite of anything id ever argue.
ive never denied they are a hate group,
my statements are clear.
if they want to take the trash out, mow the lawns and clean roads and maintain highways so be it...
they are after all Americans.

i state the same thing with criminal gangs like outlaw bikers who do cancer rides, sick kids drives, ect ect..

yes they are murderous drug dealing criminals...
but they also want to give sick kids teddies and raise money for cancer..
let them,

same thing with the kkk
they want to clean up parks or fund highways..
alright

do it

well it is a National Memorial...so i look at it as a contribution, certainly to american culture and society. who maintins and upkeeps rushmore anyway?

same thing with the kkk
they want to clean up parks or fund highways..
alright

do it

I don't have a problem with it either. It also might give some families who have been harmed by them a chance to take a few out themselves.

I don't have a problem with it either. It also might give some families who have been harmed by them a chance to take a few out themselves.

it was only a matter of time before we agreed on something...

In VA I think the program only applies to rural roads too. I can't think of any nearby multi-lane roads with signs on them.

I have a huuuuuge problem with the KKK (as I think the vast majority of people do) but I think that they should be allowed to adopt their own stretch, even if it means their name goes up on a sign. Picking up litter might be the only positive contribution they could possibly make in their community.

Back