Kitten bullying older cat.... HELP

ladysolitary85

Reaction score
My cat Milo who is 5 years old is a very loving, talkative, orange tabby and such a great cuddle bug. Then I have a almost 4 month old kitten Rascal who is fearless, adventurous, playful tux kitty. Anyways Rascal seems mellow when hes cuddles with my girlfriend and I until Milo walks into the bedroom then Rascal starts becoming aggressive (not dangerously so, but more bully-like) towards me. When I tell him no and put him down he pounces on Milo biting him (like actually pulling hair out biting) and chances him out of the room. Clearly, this has put a huge damper on Milo's self-esteem and he barely comes into the bedroom anymore because of Rascal. Any advice? Also Rascal isn't fixed yet we're going to see if we can get him fixed within the next week. I'm thinking MAYBE he'll stop being so hormonal after that.

From what I understand getting him fixed should make quite the difference in temperament. I don't deal with animals professionally but I've heard it from friends with cats. :D Hopefully that does solve your problem. Poor Milo. :( I'd carry him in with me and sit him on the bed with me. :D

I try to do everything I can to make Milo comfortable and know that hes in NO WAY replaced :( its so sad but yes, I think its definitely time to get Rascal fixed.

I understand, I have a couple kitties myself and they can be rather demanding at times. :( I love my cats and they're children to me no doubt. I'd find a time out for the one that is bullying and shut him out of the room with the other one in with you or something. Of course that's if fixing him doesn't work. They get kind of difficult at that younger age. :P I'm sure fixing him will help you... I'll keep my fingers crossed. :D

Set a family meeting for all cats and humans involved. When done, have everyone sit in circle and clap together.

Let milo have it with a spray bottle of water every time he does this. Both before and after neutering.

Cats learn fast that way as they really hate being sprayed.

Let milo have it with a spray bottle of water every time he does this. Both before and after neutering.

But then the cat will associate the spray bottle with you and hate you instead. That's what I read.

(I have 2 cats)

Try to make sure that each cat has his own "safe" or "quiet spot or room away from the other < I know with Milo and "quiet" may not go together but you could try>.

Treat Milo in Rascal's presence so he learns - Milo= "good stuff" ; therefore Milo could be "good" or at least "neutral". Use meaty, stinky, fish-y treats, not kibble. Reward the other cat for displaying calm or neutral behaviors toward the kitten and reward the kitten for displaying appropriate behavior toward the adult cat.

"No" means nothing to cats and as a trainer I do not recommend using it. Teaching a cat or dog what TO do - instead of what NOT to do - is much easier for them to understand and will have much longer-term effect -if- everyone is consistent with how they're doing things.

See if you can feed them separately and if you have enough litter boxes and they are in various places, so one cat doesn't feel stressed about that - stress and confusion regarding the location, perceived safety or ease of use of box, can cause other behaviors in cats.

You may need to go backward and re-intro, I don't know how you did that initially but it's something to consider.

The more you reward what you want, the more likely you will get a continuation of the desired behavior.

Here's a link to an article about multi-cat household management: Multicat Households: Keeping the Peace - Cat Behavior Associates

Rascal is the cat that being the bully not Milo.

:lol: I swear I can read!

Reverse that! Spray Rascal. Cats aren't smart enough to know it is you if you are surreptitious.

I know you can read , I have done things like this too. I use to spray my cats when they doing something I did not like. I only had to spray my male cat a couples of times with the bottle and then I just had to pick up the bottle and that would be enough warning . My male cat hated getting wet.

:lol: I swear I can read!

Reverse that! Spray Rascal. Cats aren't smart enough to know it is you if you are surreptitious.
owl :lol: i guess. it is cat is pretty clever it. it cat is easy scary mostly really clever. it is really scary . it is not funny mostly not mine cat. I recogized to cat expression seems scary. cat is expert behavior. :aw: mostly people have really hormone is sometimes really person wheather!sometimes not sure.

Last edited:
How big is 5 yrs old Milo? How big is 4 mos old Rascal? Are you saying that Milo is afraid of Rascal because of bullying (?) or Milo can't stand Rascal's playfulness?

I agree that cats can be demanding. My husband and I aren't cat people but we had to get a cat to keep the mice out and learned that it is like having another child sometimes. Whenever we pay attention to the cat, our dog gets jealous and demands our attention. Then, our son gets jealous. Geez...3 kids fighting over attention. Never expected that from the cat.

My cat Milo who is 5 years old is a very loving, talkative, orange tabby and such a great cuddle bug. Then I have a almost 4 month old kitten Rascal who is fearless, adventurous, playful tux kitty. Anyways Rascal seems mellow when hes cuddles with my girlfriend and I until Milo walks into the bedroom then Rascal starts becoming aggressive (not dangerously so, but more bully-like) towards me. When I tell him no and put him down he pounces on Milo biting him (like actually pulling hair out biting) and chances him out of the room. Clearly, this has put a huge damper on Milo's self-esteem and he barely comes into the bedroom anymore because of Rascal. Any advice? Also Rascal isn't fixed yet we're going to see if we can get him fixed within the next week. I'm thinking MAYBE he'll stop being so hormonal after that.

I had big orange tabby cat and he was a big love bug . Can you keep the cats away from one another until Rascal is fix ? I know it's best to introduce a new pet to the family pet(s) slowing .

http://www.aspca.org/pet-care/virtual-pet-behaviorist/cat-behavior/introducing-your-cat-new-cat

I agree that cats can be demanding. My husband and I aren't cat people but we had to get a cat to keep the mice out and learned that it is like having another child sometimes. Whenever we pay attention to the cat, our dog gets jealous and demands our attention. Then, our son gets jealous. Geez...3 kids fighting over attention. Never expected that from the cat.

Awwww. Guess Cat is a god!! ;)

Dogmom has an excellent tps always separate litterbox, bowl, more spaces from each other and sleeping time. I am sure the kitten will get bored with older kitty evenuatlly.

Back