Kinect to recognize American Sign Language

Foxrac

Premium Member
Reaction score
According to a patent listing for Microsoft's gesture-recognition technology, the gear recognizes ASL, maps toes, and reads lips.

Microsoft's forthcoming $150 full-body motion-, facial-, and vocal-recognition technology, Kinect, will read lips, track toe movement, and recognize sign language for those who cannot speak.

According to a Kinect patent filed by Microsoft recently, those capable of communicating through American Sign Language standards will be able to input letters, words, and phrases using the imminent technology.

"Where the user is unable to speak, he may be prevented from joining in the voice chat," reads the patent. "Even though he would be able to type input, this may be a laborious and slow process to someone fluent in ASL. Under the present system, he could make ASL gestures to convey his thoughts, which would then be transmitted to the other users for auditory display.

"In this situation, for example, when the user kills another user's character, that victorious, though speechless, user would be able to tell the other user that he had been 'PWNED'. In another embodiment, a user may be able to speak or make the facial motions corresponding to speaking words. The system may then parse those facial motions to determine the user's intended words and process them according to the context under which they were inputted to the system."

Further, the patent description reveals Kinect's "skeletal mapping" system, a line of code that enables the technology to track everything from a player's hands, to his or her smaller appendages like fingers and toes.

"Where more points are tracked, additional features may be identified, such as the bones and joints of the fingers or toes, or individual features of the face, such as the nose and eyes."

Microsoft's Kinect will be released on November 4 by itself for $150 in the United States and £129.99 in the United Kingdom. The new technology, which Microsoft is treating like a new system launch, will also be available in a $300 hardware/software bundle on launch day.

Kinect to recognize American Sign Language - News at GameSpot

I'm afraid so. Disappoint news:
Microsoft says Kinect won't support sign language, downgraded cameras likely to blame -- Engadget

It was mentioned in the patent application, but it looks like Microsoft's Kinect won't be offering support for sign language after all. That's now been confirmed by Microsoft itself, which told Kotaku that it "files lots of patent applications to protect our intellectual property, not all of which are brought to market right away," before flatly stating that "Kinect that is shipping this holiday will not support sign language." The reason? It seems to be the result of Kinect's cameras, which Kotaku says were originally supposed to have a "much higher resolution," but were eventually downgraded to 320 x 240 in an apparent cost-saving move. If you parse Microsoft's, however, you'll noticed that it doesn't exactly rule out the possibility of Kinect ever support sign language, it simply says that the version launching this holiday season won't support it.

Nintendo's guilty of patenting things that will never see the lights of day.

Anyone remember the whole inflatable horse add-on for the Wii that never came to fruition?

Yup, I came back here to post this:

Kinect Downgraded To Save Money, Can't Read Sign Language

But it's entirely possible future versions may have this functionality, since they applied for the patent on it.
I've heard MSFT throw the crappy kinect with arcade 360s for $200.. you will see it at store shelves next month..

KINECT is DOA!, because there wont have many games for kinect.. but I believe One game from MSFT.. I bet Steve Baller tell game industry saying " DEVELOPERS, DEVElopers, Developers"!

That why I said M$.

$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$
I totally agree with your post.. FOX, Few days ago MSFT made an announcement, they are serious about game develop for WP7.. I was like, what the F-BOMB, MSFT must be joke! I hope they wont take serious..

it looks like MSFT get in game FOR THE TOO LITTLE, TOO LATE! DSi, PSP, iPhone are successful already.. MSFT MISS the boat, right?.

I totally agree with your post.. FOX, Few days ago MSFT made an announcement, they are serious about game develop for WP7.. I was like, what the F-BOMB, MSFT must be joke! I hope they wont take serious..

it looks like MSFT get in game FOR THE TOO LITTLE, TOO LATE! DSi, PSP, iPhone are successful already.. MSFT MISS the boat, right?.

Yup, of course.

I do like Xbox 360 over PS3 because Xbox 360 is more capable and easier to be hacked and modded with anything whatever you want put on Xbox 360 to make looks like awesome.

I do know that M$ will going ban anybody from Xbox Live whoever modded the Xbox 360 so screw on M$.

Yup, of course.

I do like Xbox 360 over PS3 because Xbox 360 is more capable and easier to be hacked and modded with anything whatever you want put on Xbox 360 to make looks like awesome.

I do know that M$ will going ban anybody from Xbox Live whoever modded the Xbox 360 so screw on M$.
Dude, Did you know that MSFT will ban user and shut down their account if their trying to hack into wp7 for something. I will find the source for you..

sorry I hijacked your thread into polemical topic. I want people stick topic about kinect.. ;)

Dude, Did you know that MSFT will ban user and shut down their account if their trying to hack into wp7 for something. I will find the source for you..

sorry I hijacked your thread into polemical topic. I want people stick topic about kinect.. ;)

I bet so.

No worries about hijacking because it is still related to Xbox 360. :)

I bet so.

No worries about hijacking because it is still related to Xbox 360. :)
Foxarc, I finally find it! whew.. Please read the article's some quote as below-

"Yesterday was the first time in my entire Microsoft career I had worn a suit," Myerson explained. "It was for a humor video." Myerson quickly got down to business, clarifying why his company is insisting that each phone needs to have its own unique identifier.

It's not, he insisted, part of some big plan by the Windows Phone group to control its hardware partners. Rather, it's a demand that comes from Microsoft's Xbox developers. It seems they want to make sure that if someone is cheating on the Xbox Live program that they can shut down the cheater.

"This will be the first non-Xbox with access to Xbox Live," he said. "No one has an achievement on Xbox that they didn't earn. It's a trusted system, so, the Xbox team, one of the conditions they had for us to be able to put Xbox achievements and badges into the system is that we need to put certain security measures in."

From Source

Foxarc, I finally find it! whew.. Please read the article's some quote as below-

Yup, that's useful for M$ business. :roll:

M$ will be more stricter than Apple do, jailbroken iPhone is really nothing, except for lose the warranty but M$ may use to brick or kick out of network.

Back