Kids FM harness type things?

RoseRodent

Reaction score
Not exactly technology, but related to it. Now that all the body worn stuff is going out of fashion I can't find these things any more. I don't mean the ugly as sin leather monsters you get from catalogues, but a lot of folk used to make pretty ones. I need something to hold the transmitter end of an FM to hear my daughter's voice, something pretty, pink, perhaps even in the form of a Dolly or something. Anyone still do these things? I can sew myself, but don't have the artistic tendencies to make it look nice

I'm envisioning the sort of purse that all the little girls had when I was a kid, but with a pouch for the body of the transmitter and a modified strap that protects the cord and positions the microphone in the right place.
...Assuming your FM is similar to mine, that is, I've really never had a chance to look at any but my own.
I don't think I'm communicating very well. I'll draw up some sketches of the idea and send you them.

Okay, design posted at phantomfurball on deviantART
Like it?
If you want to send me the dimensions of your transmitter that I ask for in the sketch (h,d,w,l) I can make you one. I would have to charge you for materials and shipping though, since I'm a broke college student.

LOL I'm flashing back to those ugly nylon harnesses that we 80's and 90's kids wore. Hated them. Although I do wish I had a pic of me wearing it....lol

I can't see it! :| I can see there is a thumbnail there but when I click to make it a larger size it just goes blank.

I can see it; it's a pencil drawing. I couldn't quite make sense of it, tho.

I had such cute harnesses as a young kid. My grandma sewed them all. But they were definitely kid friendly and not something I'd expect to see an adult wearing.

I can't see it! :| I can see there is a thumbnail there but when I click to make it a larger size it just goes blank.

Sorry, reuploading it in a different format. Hopefully you can see it now, it's at the same link. If the image doesn't show up, click on download image at the upper right of the page and it should work.

we used fanny packs at the deaf school to hold our FM receivers, with a hole in the top of the fanny pack for the cord. Once we were "old enough" (5th/6th grade and so on), we just used the standard Comtek pouches that clipped to our belts/pockets/etc. I do remember before I got to the deaf school, I had to wear the ugly beige harness to hold an older FM unit my parents borrowed to use with me.

Hi, been waiting till I got onto the main PC to view the picture as it was too small on my mobile. It's a really sweet design, thanks. Trouble is that my FM transmitter does not have a trailing mic, it's a "box" style transmitter that needs the whole transmitter to be held chest height. Makes for a lot less flexibility in how to wear it since she hates having it around her neck, loose around her neck it bangs and rubs on clothing so it needs to be secure. You can't cover the mic holes with a bag but it needs to move around less and be out of the rain. Needs something more like those gruesome chest harnesses all we dhh kids of the 70s and 80s remember. I have a drawerful of chest harnesses from my own school days, but they all only fit receivers...plus they are ugly! The transmitter is a Handymic TX3, I'm pretty sure they used to have a trailing mic available but since they are old technology now it's really hard to get spare parts, the EU supplier doesn't have a mic in stock any more.

I can work with that... I'll do a little research and draw something up soon, maybe tomorrow night? Sorry it took me a bit. I'm at the tail end of four midterms two quizzes and a lab report in a short period of time, but once that's over I'm all set until after spring break and can put something together for you.

Back