Kids Begs Drunken School Bus driver To Stop.

deafskeptic

Premium Member
Reaction score
Source is WIVB.

Chaos
on board drunken school bus ride
As Thompson went out of control, kids take control

ALFRED, N.Y. (WIVB) - She was drunk behind the wheel with more than three dozen kids aboard her school bus. Now she's going to spend a lot of weekends in jail.

One student on the video screamed, "Put on the brake!"

This is surveillance video of the dangerous school bus ride last May in the Alfred-Almond school district in Allegany County. 55-year-old Martha Thompson had a blood alcohol content of .15. At the time, she thought the children were overreacting.

In the video, you can hear Thompson say, "Will you guys stop?"

To which a student replies, "Well, you're not okay and I know it."

The bus hit high speeds, ran over a mailbox, and started rolling backwards downhill.

A student shouts, "Turn the bus off!" "No," says Thompson. "You're backing into the freaking ditch, you're making the little kids cry...Stop!" screams another student.

Finally, the children opened the emergency door in the back of the bus to get out, despite Thompson pleading against it.

Thompson hollers, "You can't get off the bus!"

Now, she'll spend the next 12 weekends in jail on her guilty plea to 37 counts of child endangerment and driving while intoxicated.

Allegany County Assistant District Attorney Michael Finn said, "I think this was a just an appropriate outcome in this case. A potential tragedy was averted by the grace of God, and thankfully none of the passengers, nor Mrs. Thompson, was injured as a result of this sequence of events."

Defense attorney Thomas Trbovich, "She made a very bad judgment."

Her attorney blames her behavior on a little alcohol having a bad reaction with Thompson's medication.

"She's embarrassed. She's very sorry to the children. She never, ever would intentionally put any of those children, especially her own in any type of risk and now she's getting the help that she needs," said Trbovich.

In addition to 12 weekends in jail, Martha Thompson will be on six months of home electronic monitoring, five years probation and mandatory alcohol counseling.

I think that was irresponsible of her do drive drunk and she's lucky no one got hurt. I think the courts were a bit lenient on her.

Last edited:
Yes they were. They should have suspended her license entirely meaning she can't drive ANYTHING for the rest of her life.

She's not embarrassed because she drove drunk, she's just embarrassed that she got caught. I'm sure this isn't the first and only time she drove the bus while intoxicated she got too brave and thought she would never get caught, but this time she did, and thankfully so!

On top of having a suspended license for life, she should be required to write hand-written letters of apology to each child on the bus as well as the parents, and to each member of the school board.

She needs to spend at least 3 years in jail, that's how long it will take for some of the students to get over the 'truama' of this. The little kids were scared out of their minds, screaming and begging for her to stop.

And she needs to be a sober passenger to an out of control drunk for a while, the drunk just keeps going despite pleas to stop- getting deadly at times.

Damn... those kids were lucky to have gotten off when they did. :)

Lucky kids. But it doesn't say she got fired. I hope she did.

Here is a link for the full video on youtube:
[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oZVzw8WMltg]YouTube - Kids yelled at their Drunk Bus Driver to STOP![/ame]

weekends in jail doesn't quite cover it.
amen!

Thanks for the video. The one on the site that I linked to was too blurred for me to post it.. They did that on purpose. :roll:
Well they did it to protect the identity of the kids on the bus. Either way it's just a terrible thing to see and hopefully like someone here said... she gets her license permanently suspended because it's one thing to drive around alone DUI/DWI but another when you're driving a school bus full of kids and you're drunk... that's just plain STUPID!

Yes they were. They should have suspended her license entirely meaning she can't drive ANYTHING for the rest of her life.

She's not embarrassed because she drove drunk, she's just embarrassed that she got caught. I'm sure this isn't the first and only time she drove the bus while intoxicated she got too brave and thought she would never get caught, but this time she did, and thankfully so!

I agree!

This is not acceptable!

Drunk School Bus Driver, unbelievable.
I have seen a lot of school bus drivers speed (20mph above the limit) and being aggressivee (mostly at night times). I was just hoping that someone acted it, and that driver is fired.

Sheesh! I can't believe that!! IMHO, Her license should be suspended and put in shredder. I was amazed that girl must have pulled emergency brake and told kids to get out in back of school bus. I can imagine that if they didn't pull the emergency brake, the bus driver would have rolled backward while kids are clambering out of bus and get rolled over and be killed.

That must be scary experience for kids!!

Catty

Sheesh! I can't believe that!! IMHO, Her license should be suspended and put in shredder. I was amazed that girl must have pulled emergency brake and told kids to get out in back of school bus. I can imagine that if they didn't pull the emergency brake, the bus driver would have rolled backward while kids are clambering out of bus and get rolled over and be killed.

That must be scary experience for kids!!

Catty

Maybe the government should grab our taxes money to install the breath analyzer test in every school buses across the US? :hmm:

Extremely stupid as hell. I'm glad she got fired for this...she would've got those kids killed over her reckless drunk driving.

I remember a similar story to this taken in a place not too far from me where an elementary bus driver was driving around and hit a mailbox, she was obviously on drugs so she got fired and arrested for this as well.

What the hell is wrong with these school bus drivers? bringing endangerment to the kids who don't deserve it.

I couldnt believe she actually continued to drive while she was drunk. I notice there were few small kids, poor them. They couldnt have speak up to stop the bus while the teenager girls did it. I think teenager girls did the great job to save kids lives.

In the state of Arkansas if you are a school bus driver and you get so much as a speeding ticket, even while off the job, you lose your CDL as well as your job. Why? You become a liability to the students on your bus.

I think any type of a moving violation resulting in a ticket is grounds for the removal of a CDL to drive a school bus.

These are not YOUR kids, these are other people's kids and you are entrusted to ferry them to and from school. This means you should be an extra careful driver on and off the job.

Back