Kicking a Christian out for... being a Christian?

Daredevel7

Adrenaline Junky
Premium Member
Reaction score
I was reading the papers this morning and read about an incident that happened in a nearby college. This college is notoriously liberal.

The college had a society that meets to talk about the latest scientific advancements and evidence that supports the theory of evolution. A Christian man asked to join this society. Apparently, after being part of the society for a while, they kicked him out because they found out that he was a born again Christian. The society's reason was something like "Our beliefs do not align."

To be quite honest, I don't know why the Christian man would join a society that obviously heavily believes in evolution.

Other incidents like this have happened. (Don't remember what they are. I don't have the paper with me right now.)

The college got wind of it and they made all of its student organizations to comply with "nondiscrimination" policy. Which means, this society is forced to have that Christian man back. (The article didn't say if the Christian man did come back).

What do you think? Did the group have the right to kick out the Christian man for being Christian? Should the college force all the student organizations to not discriminate against Christians?

I will get the exact names and link later when I get back home.

I think IF he specifically wanted to stay, and was not being hateful or hurtful, he should have been allowed to stay.

I think the college should decide things on a case-by-case basis.

Absolutely NOT!

A: In a free country people have the right to disagree, even disparage an opinion, so long as they are respectful of the person holding the opinion. In fact, disagreement is healthy.

B: Being a Christian in and of itself in no way implies that the person disagrees with evolution. True, a lot of Christians who are anti-evolution have made the news, but many Christians find NO conflict between the two beliefs.

C: All this proves is that some Scientific Fundamentalists can be just as narrow minded as some Religious Fundamentalists.

Being a reformed catholic, I can understand why the group believes the guy wouldn't be a good member. His core beliefs preclude him from thinking logically and prevent him from rationalization which are, no doubt, the core traits of the group.

That is not to say he wouldn't discover some great things, but, sadly, he probably wouldn't believe what he discovered.

On the flip side, Christians have no problem excluding people for their group so I would say the score is even.

I think the only reason why a Christian should be kicked out is if he or she is being disruptive to the group to which they belong.

If this Christian was simply kicked out due to his/her beliefs, that shouldn't have happened.

but barring anything else, I think he needs to be given the choice to go or stay.

DD, the OP said she will provide more information later when she gets home.

DD, the OP said she will provide more information later when she gets home.

And until that time, there is not enough info to make any sort of conclusion here.

And until that time, there is not enough info to make any sort of conclusion here.

That goes without saying cuz I hadn't made any. :D Her intention is stated in the very last line of her post, Beo....

I have a feeling this born again Christian must have been expelled from the group because he joined just for the purpose of disputing the existence of evolution and must have been a really annoying overbearing guy who incessantly quoted verses instead of discussing evolution in a rational and logical fashion. It's been my experience when people first become born-again, they tend to be very, uh, to put it nicely, passionate about it.

I have a feeling this born again Christian must have been expelled from the group because he joined just for the purpose of disputing the existence of evolution and must have been a really annoying overbearing guy who incessantly quoted verses instead of discussing evolution in a rational and logical fashion. It's been my experience when people first become born-again, they tend to be very, uh, to put it nicely, passionate about it.

That's a possibility that I can't discount. However, I don't know enough to be sure that is what happened here. I guess I'll know more when DD (daredevil) posts again in this thread.

That was my assumption as well. I understand that student misbehavior is one of the main reasons teachers quit.

I have a feeling that is what happened too.

I was reading the papers this morning and read about an incident that happened in a nearby college. This college is notoriously liberal.

The college had a society that meets to talk about the latest scientific advancements and evidence that supports the theory of evolution. A Christian man asked to join this society. Apparently, after being part of the society for a while, they kicked him out because they found out that he was a born again Christian. The society's reason was something like "Our beliefs do not align."

To be quite honest, I don't know why the Christian man would join a society that obviously heavily believes in evolution.

Other incidents like this have happened. (Don't remember what they are. I don't have the paper with me right now.)

The college got wind of it and they made all of its student organizations to comply with "nondiscrimination" policy. Which means, this society is forced to have that Christian man back. (The article didn't say if the Christian man did come back).

What do you think? Did the group have the right to kick out the Christian man for being Christian? Should the college force all the student organizations to not discriminate against Christians?

I will get the exact names and link later when I get back home.

Unless he was creating a disturbance so the group could not function for their intended purpose, making meetings impossible, or being a total distraction in other ways, probably not. But, like you, I would question his motives for even joining a group that would be so polar opposite to his professed belief system. Suspicious, indeed.

Agreed. I question his motives in joining, and I do think there must be a bit more to the story. These groups have rules and bylines for membership. I suspect he probably violated a few.

Back