keifer

caz12

Reaction score
I have just been given jar of kiefer i looked it up on the net clear as mud..i told it very american thing can someone tell me if used it and how

Its some kind of fermented milk drink of European origin....are you sure its an American thing? I've never heard of the stuff.....

i was told by lady who gave it to me..from what read sound like yogurt but she told me not to use milk..they crystals but i can't make out what type of crystals

something the old hedsedic jew use in newyork...thats all i am told

Kefir is a less processed, fermented <good bacteria - like yogurt> drink usually made out of diary milk - either cow's or goat's. Eastern European in origin, which is where the Hasidic Jewish connection may be. Many people who have lactose intolerance < my mom has that> or other diary issues can tolerate fermented products like kefir.
There's also coconut nut milk <non dairy> versions. I've had all of them though I really can't drink dairy milk much at all due to dairy allergies. Popular in health food stores....I do happen to have a membership in one.
Kefir can be made at home or bought in a store and it has a sour, tingly taste that I like but I'm used to that kind of thing. It's not meant to be sweet and many people used to the SAD - Standard American Diet - won't like it.

So you got solid kefir? That's a grain, and it goes with yeast, then into milk where it is shaken at room temperature every once in a while until it becomes like drinkable yogurt.

It's gross. But you can buy it with strawberry or blueberry flavors in the store already made.

oh, hmm, I didn't know about the solid kefir. I've only seen and had the liquid.

Its some kind of fermented milk drink of European origin....are you sure its an American thing? I've never heard of the stuff.....
Same here. I've never heard of it.

bottle_group.jpg

It's all over the place here.

I love kefir! Did you get kefir or kefir grains? Kefir grains look sorta like cottage cheese and are themselves edible. You put them in milk (raw milk preferably, way better for you and works better for kefir) let it sit on the counter for a few days and then strain them out for your next batch and drink the kefir you just made. :)

There are more detailed directions online. If you don't care for the taste, you can add honey to sweeten it, fruit, cocoa powder for a chocolate kefir. I like to make smoothies with kefir.

Kefir is a great way to get lots of good probiotics! :)

...you can also make water kefir which a lot of people like better.

so its yogert? my dad had grown some, grew it in an ice cream container (plastic squareish box holding 2L of ice cream, in the fridge) way back in 1983...i remember it well it does taste like Very plain yogert not that pleasent, but he's sprinkled brown sugard - much like how some people do with porridge

Plain kefir is really good with potatoes. Slice the potatoes thin with a mandoline (about 1/8" thick), pan fry it in oil. You will have some very crunchy spots and some nice soft spots, drain the potatoes on paper towel and salt well. Take a bite of potato, follow it with a spoonful of plain Kefir.

You used to be able to make your own Kefir. Put a gallon of whole milk in a crock, add a cup of buttermilk, let it sit on the counter for a week. A thick layer would form, producing red or reddish orange spot on top. That's when you knew it was ready. Then you peel off that thick layer, throw it out, and you have your "sour milk" (as it's known in Lithuanian). Alas, they started to ultrapasteurize milk after that and it no longer works. I'm immunocompromised, so I can't just get raw milk and use that, it has to be the milk that is regular pasteurized.

no problem, Grummer:wave:

Eater of Worlds, very interesting about the potatoes and kefir- reminds me of some of the Indian food where you have yogurt curry combo's.

At the health food store, I've seen supplies and books still on making your own fermented foods of different kinds, like the kefir, fermented veggies, kombucha etc.

Back