Keep member information private

Zaicate

Reaction score
I would like to see a change on alldeaf where member profiles are unviewable to unregistered people. I recently got an AIM message from babytalkie44 saying he was a member (which he wasn't) and wanted me to believe in his lottery scam.

Contact info isn't visible to unregistered members.

So, if anyone contacts you through AIM... that person is registered. If that person contacts you, then you can report them to a mod.

If you don't want anyone to contact you, then don't leave any contact info in your profile.

I still recommend that you leave PMs turned on so that mods can contact you or you can contact mods. :thumb:

Its odd because I had my boyfriend check on his window account (we share the same computer and have Window XP) while not being signed in and he could look my screenname up and get my information easily without being signed in.

So that is my main concern because anybody could get any deaf person's information from this site without having to be registered to do that.

You can read the forum's messages on google if you type in the right words.

My assumpation is that the person used the most common words to find you. You must be pretty common, huh?

Its odd because I had my boyfriend check on his window account (we share the same computer and have Window XP) while not being signed in and he could look my screenname up and get my information easily without being signed in.

So that is my main concern because anybody could get any deaf person's information from this site without having to be registered to do that.

the only thing that's your "own" under your account in WinXP is your "My Document" folder but both of you share same programs (IE, Firefox, etc). You might want to click on "LOG OUT" in AD when you're done.

you might want to be careful about the information you send to others in pm's. i found one of mine after conducting a google search. fortunately, the pm's that were listed didn't contain any personal information (then again, i never include personal information in the pm's i send.).

you might want to be careful about the information you send to others in pm's. i found one of mine after conducting a google search. fortunately, the pm's that were listed didn't contain any personal information (then again, i never include personal information in the pm's i send.).

Alex will have to fix that. he'll need to program the code for google spider to ignore the PM and certain pages but I don't know how easy it is to do that.

Alex will have to fix that. he'll need to program the code for google spider to ignore the PM and certain pages but I don't know how easy it is to do that.

i hope he does even though i know it probably won't be easy.

Like what Vampy said, don't put your AIM in your profile.

No more contact from unregistered members since I removed AIM and MSN in my profile in 2004. If anyone want to contact you via AIM or whatever then send PM...

Kinda sad that we have to do that in first place! I wouldn't mind being contacted by members on here but to have to remove just cause of few that is trying to scam. How sad!

Back