Just train pictures and train stories

It was discontinued back in 2008.

It was discontinued back in 2008.

2008..... I thought it was before that, but guess I was wrong. I do know of at least one other train line that's not running anymore-- the one from Chicago to Pittsburgh, also discontinued a few years back. I hope the Saluki and Illini stick around for a good long while, and the City of New Orleans, too, even though I'm not comfortable riding it.

2008..... I thought it was before that, but guess I was wrong. I do know of at least one other train line that's not running anymore-- the one from Chicago to Pittsburgh, also discontinued a few years back. I hope the Saluki and Illini stick around for a good long while, and the City of New Orleans, too, even though I'm not comfortable riding it.

What makes it uncomfortable for you? I thought you just avoided it because the others were less costly.

What makes it uncomfortable for you? I thought you just avoided it because the others were less costly.

I'll ride it only if my parents ask me to, which isn't often. The reason it's not comfortable is because of the jerking motion the Superliners do when going over switches. Regular trains I'm used to, but Superliners? Nope, not quite. I'm more used to the regular Amtrak trains, but I don't ride the City of New Orleans enough to get used to it.

I'll ride it only if my parents ask me to, which isn't often. The reason it's not comfortable is because of the jerking motion the Superliners do when going over switches. Regular trains I'm used to, but Superliners? Nope, not quite. I'm more used to the regular Amtrak trains, but I don't ride the City of New Orleans enough to get used to it.

Next time get a seat on the lower level - I think you need to request the lower level when making your reservation. It may not be as jerky.

Chicago to Pittsburgh? There is still a train, but perhaps a different one then you're talking about, that goes from Chicago to Pittsburgh and then onto Washington, DC. That's the Capitol Limited.

Chicago to Pittsburgh? There is still a train, but perhaps a different one then you're talking about, that goes from Chicago to Pittsburgh and then onto Washington, DC. That's the Capitol Limited.

Yes, I knew about the Capitol Limited stopping in Pittsburgh. I'm talking about Amtrak terminating in Pittsburgh. There was actually an article about that a few years ago. Let me see if I can find it.

It was Trains 40/41-- Broadway Limited, discontinued in 2005.

Next time get a seat on the lower level - I think you need to request the lower level when making your reservation. It may not be as jerky.

That's what I intend to do the next time I find myself needing to ride it. Haven't ridden it in a while, though. Last time I did was 2011, I believe.

Yes, I knew about the Capitol Limited stopping in Pittsburgh. I'm talking about Amtrak terminating in Pittsburgh. There was actually an article about that a few years ago. Let me see if I can find it.

It was Trains 40/41-- Broadway Limited, discontinued in 2005.

That one ran from NY to Chicago. Did not terminate in Pittsburgh.

A 1995 article on Amtrak Service cuts:

http://articles.chicagotribune.com/...0163_1_capitol-limited-texas-eagle-amtrak-run

Pittsburgh is in this article.

This is saying that the Broadway Limited was being shortened from NY to Chicago to NY to Pittsburgh. It is now called the Pennsylvanian.

Some railroad history also will be lost when the cuts take effect in June and September. The Broadway Limited line, which has served New York, Pittsburgh and Chicago since the 1890s, will be replaced with daily service between New York and Pittsburgh, with connecting service to Chicago on the Capitol Limited.

You had said that there was a train that went from Chicago and terminated at Pittsburgh. I did not see any in that Wiki post I linked to a few posts ago.

This is saying that the Broadway Limited was being shortened from NY to Chicago to NY to Pittsburgh. It is now called the Pennsylvanian.

You had said that there was a train that went from Chicago and terminated at Pittsburgh. I did not see any in that Wiki post I linked to a few posts ago.

I thought there was. Maybe I'm wrong, and it's another line I'm thinking of. Ah, well. Not too worried about it, since I can't remember which line it was.

Yesterday, we went on the Western Maryland train in the Appalachian mountains. Was beautiful!!!

Attachments

• train2014.jpg
    train2014.jpg
    94.3 KB · Views: 6
  • train20141.jpg
    train20141.jpg
    87.7 KB · Views: 6
  • train20142.jpg
    train20142.jpg
    90.9 KB · Views: 5
The Metra Market, underneath Ogilvie Transportation Center:

IMG_20141217_204608_429_zpshkwlyuw4.jpg

IMG_20141217_204600_963_zpszeb2oghf.jpg

This is a good place to keep warm, and check your laptop and stuff, as the Metra waiting room has terrible reception.

The inside of a CTA 5500 Series train car:

IMG_20141216_134400_995_zpsfoesnpuh.jpg

IMG_20141216_134354_786_zpsbgsawk1u.jpg

And the Lawrence CTA Red Line features:

IMG_20141216_131659_716_zpstgvsrwc4.jpg

IMG_20141216_131634_012_zpscdr4i3ze.jpg

IMG_20141216_131622_083_zpsdhxndjqi.jpg

IMG_20141216_131549_317_zpsfzajmkza.jpg

IMG_20141216_131409_157_zpslhxcsicl.jpg

These tracks lead to Ogilvie, but they branch out to the Union Pacific North, Northwest, and West lines a little further north of here:

IMG_20141218_152332_084_zps1iweskhk.jpg

The tracks to the right branch out to the Union Pacific West line:

IMG_20141218_152245_497_zps2gnwmzcb.jpg

A curious question came across my mind just now.... how many gateless railroad crossings does your town/county have? In Chicago, None I know of. Cook County? None that I am aware of. My former county, however, has three-- used to be four until 1995. Today's railroad crossings are equipped with gates and electronic bells.

Back