Just train pictures and train stories

Chicago....that locomotive in post #249.......I wonder if there are any segments of track that are so curved, it wouldn't be able negotiate it?

More than likely. I've never seen this loco, but pretty sure that it's mainly used on straight trackage.

Chicago....you showed a couple of switchers....what is/was their function?
I believe switchers are used to move cars around in a rail yard. "Switch" from one track to another track to be coupled up with other cars and/or an engine.

Chicago....you showed a couple of switchers....what is/was their function?

Their main job is to have the railroad cars ready for pickup by the bigger locos. The Union Pacific UPY locos actually transport cars from one location to another. For the CSX Genset switchers, pretty sure their job is to make sure the cars are ready for pickup. As for the Metra switchers, they have a variety of jobs, anywhere from hauling freight to bringing locos and cars in for repairs. Similar for Amtrak, although I'm guessing they're being used on the NEC for the upgrading process that I've heard about.

Their main job is to have the railroad cars ready for pickup by the bigger locos. The Union Pacific UPY locos actually transport cars from one location to another. For the CSX Genset switchers, pretty sure their job is to make sure the cars are ready for pickup. As for the Metra switchers, they have a variety of jobs, anywhere from hauling freight to bringing locos and cars in for repairs. Similar for Amtrak, although I'm guessing they're being used on the NEC for the upgrading process that I've heard about.

The Amtrak one's would be used for the same reason as the others, to move cars around in a rail yard.
I suppose they are also used to pull equipment for working on the rail lines. I think I have seen other engines used for that though.

The Amtrak one's would be used for the same reason as the others, to move cars around in a rail yard.
I suppose they are also used to pull equipment for working on the rail lines. I think I have seen other engines used for that though.

It's true. They do use other locos for the same job. However, when I travel on the Metra, I usually see a Union Pacific locomotive on standby, in case it's needed. Next time I hop on it, I'll see if I can get a picture of it.

Ah, the Western Brown Line Station. This station holds a special place in my memories, because I've seen a lot of stuff happen here. Also, that 7-11 in the background is one of my favorites to stop at.

rv_western_pagehead.jpg

The Kedzie Brown Line Station then and today:

rv_kedzie_pagehead.jpg

This is what it looks like today.

kedzie01.jpg

What it looked like back in 2007, before the Brown Line Renovation Project started that year.

The largest railroad car in the United States:

CEBX_800_the_largest_railroad_Schnabel%20_car_ever_built_at_over_800_tons_capacity.jpg

As far as I know, this car is the only one today. I'm pretty sure special permits would be needed to haul this.

Train boneyard.... sad sight to see.

5.jpg

image.jpg

track.jpg

Some of the Amtrak electric trains of the past:

9250.1050163440.jpg

3153.1208702053.jpg

amt60b.jpg

amtice.jpg

Amtrak_LRC_loco_38.jpg

Former Amtrak electric locos #604, #605, #X995, and #X996:

amt605a.jpg

E60_604.jpg

amtx995b.jpg

x996a.jpg

Amtrak California #2051, which used to be Amtrak #501:

8033460620_29a4de8e58_z.jpg

Amtrak California #2052, formerly Amtrak #502:

2903263878_f1837137f3_z.jpg

Amtrak #500, the only biodiesel locomotive Amtrak has (to the best of my knowledge), and this particular locomotive requires a lot of attention, more so than the others.

5700647617_d99aed4e96_z.jpg

Now this locomotive here is not one of my favorites. The design is terrible.

130626%20Mt%20Bachelor%20-%20Eugene%20OR%20(5).jpg

It's so cool......I've always been dreaming to take a long train trip around US

心头影事幻重重,化作佳人绝代容。
跨鹤高飞亦壮哉,云霞一羽雪皑皑。

This Amtrak loco used to be seen a lot in the 1990's. What I can't figure out is if it's a P40DC or a P42DC, but I think it's a P40DC.

editamtrak2.jpg

Back