Just saw a very different sign for color 'brown'

podiecat

Reaction score
I'm used to the b-handshape drawn down the side of face once (palm forward), sort of like sign for beer. I just saw an initialized R-shape that shakes like other color signs in front of chest.

Anyone familiar with that?

Nope, I know what grey sign is with two open five hands 'mixing' black and white. This was on an ASL practice quize online that was definitely the word brown but showed letter R shaking as in purple, green yellow and others. Maybe there was a B before the R that I missed but it was certainly not the sign for brown by the cheek that I am familiar with.

That is another sign for grey. I used to use that one all the time.

But the shaking "R" in front of the chest is also a sign for grey.

I'm used to the b-handshape drawn down the side of face once (palm forward), sort of like sign for beer. I just saw an initialized R-shape that shakes like other color signs in front of chest.

Yeah, I noticed that, too. I think especially some elderly people still sign that way in old version. Some of them haven't changed.

That is another sign for grey. I used to use that one all the time.

But the shaking "R" in front of the chest is also a sign for grey.

This is the sign for the color grey I learned and have seen most often. The two open 5 hand version is one I encounter or use when talking about a 'grey area' or something not clearly one way or the other.

Thanks, I thought I was imagining it at first, so I played it again. I only saw the R both times but assume there must have been a b first. Did you notice a B and then R? Or just R?

That's the one some elderly people still use. Old version sign for brown.

u7NX1B3.jpg
MUld0c3.jpg
kQsydHp.jpg
OZU7njL.jpg

Brown 2, from the video is how grey is signed in Canada (what I've learned).
Brown, we've been taught, instead of B on the cheek, is claw 5 hand, by the ear, rotated forward 1/2 turn. Cracks me up, since "crazy" is a half turn backwards!

Last edited:
Yes, the second version is the one I use too,and the only one I've seen. It is much like the sign for beer I think, though just moving the hand down once as shown in the video.

Brown 2, from the video is how grey is signed in Canada (what I've learned).
Brown, we've been taught, instead of B on the cheek, is claw 5 hand, by the ear, rotated forward 1/2 turn. Cracks me up, since "crazy" is a half turn backwards!

That one is considered to be regional, an Ontario thing ;-).

I've seen that one. It's an old sign probably from the 80's or 70's.

Back