Just heard stupid thing from my co-worker...

JMH

Reaction score
The story is – my work just opened a store nearby here and I took the job as receiving clerk. I took that position because I don’t have to deal with customers. I’m not excellent lip-reading or speak, so I can’t really help customers. One thing I really hate go to restroom or time out for lunch, I had to walk through store to reach it. I’ve been approached by customers several times already.

I told my co-worker (he’s customer service on the floor) about it. And then he told me about his last job which he had deaf co-worker. He said that his deaf co-worker wore a badge saying, “I’m deaf” and if a customer come up to him – he would point to his badge and then he’d find salesperson to assist the customer.

WTF??? That was stupidest thing I have ever heard. I told my co-worker if the company made me wear that badge, I’d quit. He asked me why and I compared it with Jewish that wore arm brand with David star on it before WWII. He seems to be baffled with my explanation. Then he said he thought it’s easier that way with a shrug. And then I said it’s not right and I can’t imagine any company force deaf people to wear that badge.

I wanted to hear your opinion – is it okay for deaf people to wear special badge saying “I’m deaf” during work hour? Is it cross the line? Am I being overreact on that one?

Should just be your choice. I remember one guy who worked a Walmart cash register, and he just had "I'm deaf" small sign taped to the stand with the credit card reader. He had a pad and pen ready if anybody needed to ask anything.

Should just be your choice. I remember one guy who worked a Walmart cash register, and he just had "I'm deaf" small sign taped to the stand with the credit card reader. He had a pad and pen ready if anybody needed to ask anything.

Agree...some deafies can get so exasperated, frustrated & irritable when something like this happens over and over on a daily basis....Might even get a hat with those flashing lights & a little sign saying..."Don't ask me, I'm DEAF"!...all depends on how much you enjoy being left alone by hearies asking so many questions (?)

Wirelessly posted

Maybe wear a badge/cap whatever: "It is not my department - ask the next guy" :) Or. "I'm on break - ask the next guy"

Last edited:
I feel it should be an individuals choice to wear it or not... If it was me I probly would. I wear T-shirts and thought to Airbrush on the back of them Im Deaf, since people here are too stupid to realize if a person is Deaf after saying Excuse me 1000 times behind your back in the store and I cant hear them, then they get all pissy and reach around or push you instead of tapping on your shoulder to get your attention first. Normally I will say Sorry, Im Deaf and didnt know you were behind me. If they reach around or push me then I say Excuse me? then when they start talking saying they said this or that then I tell them Sorry blah blah blah depending on their attitude. Younger people are the worst, older people are more understanding besides younger people dont have the discipline we had growing up to respect others.

I saw a news article a while back, where the DMV offered a postcard sized card for deaf drivers so that in the event they are pulled over, they can present the card to the officer to inform them of what steps they should take to accomodate the driver during the traffic stop.

maybe you could carry a similar instruction card that is attached to a memopad, so that people know that they must write down their business with you to receive service?

it could say something like....

I cannot hear you talk.
If you would like to tell me something, you are welcome to write me a note in this book.

i guess this idea is kind of analogous to papers that everyone had to carry in the Nazi empire, but at least you don't have to repeatedly explain to hearies as to what they need to do.

Posted from Alldeaf.com App for Android

The story is – my work just opened a store nearby here and I took the job as receiving clerk. I took that position because I don’t have to deal with customers. I’m not excellent lip-reading or speak, so I can’t really help customers. One thing I really hate go to restroom or time out for lunch, I had to walk through store to reach it. I’ve been approached by customers several times already.

I told my co-worker (he’s customer service on the floor) about it. And then he told me about his last job which he had deaf co-worker. He said that his deaf co-worker wore a badge saying, “I’m deaf” and if a customer come up to him – he would point to his badge and then he’d find salesperson to assist the customer.

WTF??? That was stupidest thing I have ever heard. I told my co-worker if the company made me wear that badge, I’d quit. He asked me why and I compared it with Jewish that wore arm brand with David star on it before WWII. He seems to be baffled with my explanation. Then he said he thought it’s easier that way with a shrug. And then I said it’s not right and I can’t imagine any company force deaf people to wear that badge.

I wanted to hear your opinion – is it okay for deaf people to wear special badge saying “I’m deaf” during work hour? Is it cross the line? Am I being overreact on that one?

first of all - it's illegal for company to require or even to ask an employee to wear a "I'm Deaf" badge because that would be a violation of federal discrimination law.

I'm pretty sure that person chose to wear it by choice. so if you get very annoyed or really hated to get approached by customers.... then why don't you wear it then? it's your choice.

Excuse me if this is :topic:.

I remember the rumor about license plates with deaf logo for deaf drivers. Alot of us complained about it and thought that it would be a bad idea since when other people see it, some of them might follow us home and plan to break in while we sleep and can't hear them.

The logo would look like this.

aPPeo.jpg

Excuse me if this is :topic:.

I remember the rumor about license plates with deaf logo for deaf drivers. Alot of us complained about it and thought that it would be a bad idea since when other people see it, some of them might follow us home and plan to break in while we sleep and can't hear them.

The logo would look like this.

aPPeo.jpg

I don't get it. What would it do to me if a car in front of me had a deaf driver? Either you watch out for cars and hazards around you or you're not a good driver. It wouldn't effect my driving.

As for OP's question, I'm sure you realize that there are many customers that comes once. They don't know who you're so they won't know you're deaf. Just tell them you're deaf. Usually they'll get it.

Do you really have to use "I'm Deaf" shirt? Why not wear something shirt such as "Sign language rocks" or 10 reasons to learn ASL. I'm sure they'll clue in that you're deaf or maybe even talk ASL with you.

I don't get it. What would it do to me if a car in front of me had a deaf driver? Either you watch out for cars and hazards around you or you're not a good driver. It wouldn't effect my driving.

As for OP's question, I'm sure you realize that there are many customers that comes once. They don't know who you're so they won't know you're deaf. Just tell them you're deaf. Usually they'll get it.

Do you really have to use "I'm Deaf" shirt? Why not wear something shirt such as "Sign language rocks" or 10 reasons to learn ASL. I'm sure they'll clue in that you're deaf or maybe even talk ASL with you.

I like that idea, 10 reasons to learn ASL...
#1 Because you know someone Deaf
#2 Because you need to ask me something

What can you come up with?

#3 Because you work (or plan to) in a service industry & may need to interact with a deaf person.

might be best just not to wear company logo you or vests or whatever identify you as a worker there as you go thru . When I worked at walmart - I worked the night shift unloading trucks, I would be on the floor in morning (end of my shift
) stocking shelves and customers might be around and ask me something - I just say hang on , let me get someone for you and walk away briskly before they get a chance to explain what they wanted.

might be best just not to wear company logo you or vests or whatever identify you as a worker there as you go thru.

yes, this!
I would always bring a change of shirt when I worked at a gas station so I could go on a break properly. Otherwise people will bother bother bother nonstop.
Also, over time I've learned to:
1. never wear a blue lanyard to WALMART
2. never wear a red polo shirt to target
3. never wear a blue polo shirt to best buy

....because people will think I work there.
The last time I was at WALMART 3 different people approached me to ask me where something is. When I turned to them, only then did they notice my lanyard said "GO HAWKS" not "WALMART"... :roll:

But even with a new shirt, if someone recognizes your face, they may still think it's appropriate to ask for help.

yes, this!
I would always bring a change of shirt when I worked at a gas station so I could go on a break properly. Otherwise people will bother bother bother nonstop.
Also, over time I've learned to:
1. never wear a blue lanyard to WALMART
2. never wear a red polo shirt to target
3. never wear a blue polo shirt to best buy

....because people will think I work there.
The last time I was at WALMART 3 different people approached me to ask me where something is. When I turned to them, only then did they notice my lanyard said "GO HAWKS" not "WALMART"... :roll:

But even with a new shirt, if someone recognizes your face, they may still think it's appropriate to ask for help.

Then just send them across the store to neverland and see if they bring the manager back...lol

I wear my jacket and put my hair over my name tag when I'm on break. I had a man refuse to let me clock in because he *needed* help right then...even though I had my bag and my lunch with me when I went in one day. -_-*

If you wear a company vest or badge, just take it off when crossing the store to the restroom or to lunch.

The best is when people notice that you're deaf. I do not believe by law (unless the person chooses) that a company can make you wear a badge that says, "I'm deaf." At my work, I refuse to wear anything that says "I'm deaf."

I may not speak well, but if a person slows down enough when annoyed that I did not notice them right away. I can at least tell them where it is. Then they look at me like I have a disorder or something. I've learned to say, "I'm deaf. Not stupid nor unable to talk."

Of course, my co-workers think it is cool that I say that. They often had told me they wished they could say something customers back.

i use the name tag at work at all times (under my name says "Fluent in ASL") it a lot easier for me and the customers. i work there for almost 22 years.

Back