Just got activated

Sogeking

Reaction score
Hello Everyone
I am in dire need of advice.
I just got activated not to long ago. 11 days ago from writing this post. I got implanted in my left ear and have a hearing aid on the right. I was born profoundly deaf and have been wearing hearing aids my whole life up until 11 days ago lol. But so far the implant has helped me hear things I haven’t heard before which is great. But im really discouraged about my ability to understand speech. Im doing therapy and a bunch of practice on my phone but it doesn’t really help since most of it is predictable. I want to be able to truly understand speech but I am still relying on my hearing aids at the moment. I would love to hear your input and journey with your CIs. Im nervous that I’ll never be able to understand speech.
I may be over reacting

I watch movies on my phone with my phone clip streaming the sound into my processor using a downloadable app called Tubi. That helps me alot,

You're early in the journey. Try to use only the CI side as much as you can, but keep the HA handy of those situations you really need to hear. I wore my HA but kept it on mute unless I needed it.

Rehab, rehab, rehab....with just the CI on. I did audiobooks while reading the same book in addition to Angel Sounds.

Did your speech therapist or audiologist give you a list of rehab websites / apps? I know there's a phone number you can call that will read you a sentence or a paragraph. I can't remember what it is at the moment. I think Cochlear "owns" it, but anyone can use it.

You're early in the journey. Try to use only the CI side as much as you can, but keep the HA handy of those situations you really need to hear. I wore my HA but kept it on mute unless I needed it.

Rehab, rehab, rehab....with just the CI on. I did audiobooks while reading the same book in addition to Angel Sounds.

Did your speech therapist or audiologist give you a list of rehab websites / apps? I know there's a phone number you can call that will read you a sentence or a paragraph. I can't remember what it is at the moment. I think Cochlear "owns" it, but anyone can use it.
Thank you for response. I do a lot of rehab by streaming to my implant with music,videos, and TV. However I am going to pick up on your suggestion and try the audiobook!
My audiologist just gave me a booklet and some sites. I haven’t used much of those. I am also doing therapy once a week which I just started this week. But I’m just desperate for speech to be clear. It all just sounds so muffled like I can’t hear anything. If that makes sense.

It will take some time, but you'll get there. Just keep working at it. Audiobooks, reading out loud to yourself (or have someone else read to you), just expose yourself to all sorts of sounds and speech. Remember, Rome wasn't built in a day. You can't rush the process.

I got activated at the end of April, and I'm going thru the same thing. Mind you, the adjustment she was making, went pretty good the second time. I could hear my husband pretty good, even though at first everything seems strange, even him, but I was not too pleased with the last adjustment, I don't know what was changed but his speech is more slurred and harder to understand, so he is texting me when he wants to tell me something. With the speech sounds I find I am having trouble understanding soft vowels. Don't give up, keep trying, and trying and you will get use to it.

Does the robotic sound quality go away or do you just accept it and adjust to it? I’m still wearing my hearing aid on my non implanted side just for the clarity or everything

Robotic sounds generally go away and things sound "normal". New sounds may sound different until you brain adjusts.

Back