Jury Duty

Your husband had to take your place? How did that happen? I've never heard of such a thing, unless you mean he was sent a letter for jury duty the same time you were and happened to be in the same pool.

nope, he took my place. he wasn't in the same pool for jury duty.. he wasn't even called for jury duty. I was.

when I got the letter, it asked about my spouse... so that's why (if you want to research it, It's in the state of Va)

nope, he took my place. he wasn't in the same pool for jury duty.. he wasn't even called for jury duty. I was.

when I got the letter, it asked about my spouse... so that's why (if you want to research it, It's in the state of Va)
Weird! Did the court force him to take your place, or did he volunteer?

They asked him. I don't think he could say no.
It just gets more weird.

Do all the jurors' letters say that their spouses must accompany them to court? What about single people--do they have to bring a parent or sibling?

Sorry about all the questions but this just boggles my mind. I never heard of providing your own juror substitute, so the whole thing is interesting to me.

It just gets more weird.

Do all the jurors' letters say that their spouses must accompany them to court? What about single people--do they have to bring a parent or sibling?

Sorry about all the questions but this just boggles my mind. I never heard of providing your own juror substitute, so the whole thing is interesting to me.

no siblings, I'm not sure if there was a letter, I have to ask my husband to get it out of the filecabinet for me to read it again as it was about a year or two ago. they told my husband this would happen. The questionaires was for screening and it asked about my spouse and what he/she did for a living, and if I have children at home and such . I filled it out and attached my doctor excuse. This screening was random and looking for people to fill in for jury duty and my husband just happened to be available.

I came to that realization when someone thinks we should adopt the England court system. he think law - educated people should be jury duty and thinks uneducated average people are more likely to make decision based on discrimination. I thought about our History and how people were very picky of who is qualified for jury duty and they were usually white men. I think if we choose educated people for jury duty, they are more likely to be decriminate the uneducated (or what england refer as common people) .

Jury duty need a mixture of educated, uneducated, race, disability, etc.

Plus, if the court system can't present the facts to the uneducated person because it is solely for those who understand legal jardon, and that uneducated person went to jail, there will be riots because they don't why that person is in jail. If they can present the facts to the uneducated jury duty, it's easy to say, ahhh, yeah, this is why he went to jail. he needed to go. There's no discrimination here.
Only if they decide to either show up or actually take the effort to make the duty.

Reminds me of the beating in the down south where a group of a specific race did not show up to jury duty...

no siblings, I'm not sure if there was a letter, I have to ask my husband to get it out of the filecabinet for me to read it again as it was about a year or two ago. they told my husband this would happen. The questionaires was for screening and it asked about my spouse and what he/she did for a living, and if I have children at home and such . I filled it out and attached my doctor excuse. This screening was random and looking for people to fill in for jury duty and my husband just happened to be available.
I've filled out those screening forms before. That's to help the attorneys of both sides in a case eliminate jurors who would be bad for their side.

Had my audiogram test done - big surprise there----I never heard a thing. I am totally deaf. She didn't even try the speech part since I can't hear. The audiologist wrote a letter and faxed my letter, hers and the test results to the courthouse. That was at 8:15 this morning.

I know this is a old post but I have jury summon this Monday. This is the first time that I ever done in my life. I did requested to have interpreter set up and they told me there will be two interpreters ready for me on Monday. I have no idea how long it will take when I get called to the case. Any pointers for me before I head to jury summon this Monday?

I know this is a old post but I have jury summon this Monday. This is the first time that I ever done in my life. I did requested to have interpreter set up and they told me there will be two interpreters ready for me on Monday. I have no idea how long it will take when I get called to the case. Any pointers for me before I head to jury summon this Monday?

Yeah, maybe take something to read....

Yeah, maybe take something to read....

I second that. Take a book with you. Perhaps take something you had been wanted to read but just never had the time for. Every time I have jury duty I end up sitting and waiting all day. Only once actually went into a court room for jury selection. I got rejected because I was too educated and unlikely to express sympathy for the uneducated man on trial. Silly, but they were probably right. Who in their right mind would stab their girlfriend??? She wanted to leave and he didn't want her to go. How fragile must your ego be that you need to kill (or attempt to kill) someone that is leaving you. He was found guilty and they didn't even need my help to do it.

I was called for jury duty once and I had my audiologist write a letter for me say I was not a good candidate for jury duty and my audiologist told how bad my hearing was and I was not to understand sounds. I did not have do jury duty . I did get called one more when I changed my last name and the court thought I was another person! I had have a letter written again to get out of
jury duty . I do not get any more notices to do jury duty!

Well, if Dead people can Vote... Why not Jury duty!?! :lol:

Back