Jury Duty

They don't really weed them out. When they ask for the audiograms, they are only making sure that the potential juror is not lying to get out of it or lying to get help. This way they also know that the person is in need of an interpreter and they will get them. there are a bunch of agencies around here that have interpreters out the ying-yang.

Oh, that's great. Thanks

Kateweb, all they need to do is show up with their death certificate. :lol:

I know my father got called up 6 months after his death. Mom provided his death certificate (from the same county recorders office no less) and they said that was not satisfactory reason.

Mom had to have a doctor's statement, the certified copy of the death certificate, the notice from the local paper, the paperwork from the funeral home, and a report from the hospital to prove it. We couldn't provide anything from a cemetary as my father was cremated and scattered in the ocean.

Well... I was selected into jury duty and got accepted into it. So I was stuck with it for a week. My primary language was ASL, and they had two ASL interpreters on the site intepreting everything. Everyone including the jury members, the judge and the lawyers thought it was a very positive experience. I was very proud and honoured to have done my citizenship's duty and if I am called again, I won't balk at it.

though I can understand what a predicament it can be for the person who lost her hearing at a later age, without a working knowledge of ASL, then yeah better to be asked to be excused due to commmunication barriers.

For non-signers, would a small monitor with live transcription work? :dunno:

For non-signers, would a small monitor with live transcription work? :dunno:

I would think so, but then I would also think that if you're paying so much attention to the monitor you might miss any visuals that the attorneys provide.

I would think so, but then I would also think that if you're paying so much attention to the monitor you might miss any visuals that the attorneys provide.
By "visuals" do you mean evidence exhibits? I've been on jury duty, and I've observed trials. Believe me, any exhibits the lawyers show, they show slowly and carefully, to the point of boring repetition (at times). Small exhibits, such as photos, are passed by hand to each juror. Also, the jury can re-examine the exhibits during deliberation in the jury room.

good point Reba, maybe CART (captioned at real timing). Someone in the court already is typing, I wonder if it has been done before. Something in my belly tells me that it has been done.

Our local courthouse does not have anything like that due to the different languages involved (I guess). We have English, Spanish, Creole, and other spoken here on a regular basis.

As far as the visuals, I guess I never really took into account that they pass things around or spend gobs of time on the large items.

Our local courthouse does not have anything like that due to the different languages involved (I guess). We have English, Spanish, Creole, and other spoken here on a regular basis.
Your courthouse doesn't transcribe the trials? I thought all trials had to be recorded.

Your courthouse doesn't transcribe the trials? I thought all trials had to be recorded.

They are transcribed, but not with captioning for an deaf person. They will only provide an interpreter for an ASL user, or a speech intepreter for the various languages, but not anything for a late-deafened person who does not know ASL.

They are transcribed, but not with captioning for an deaf person. They will only provide an interpreter for an ASL user, or a speech intepreter for the various languages, but not anything for a late-deafened person who does not know ASL.
I guess if they refuse to transcribe for you, then you're stuck. I'm sorry. :(

If you want to do it, you should be able to get CART. A lot of the people who do it were or still are court transcribers.

yes, CART is available for people who are HOH or late-deafened who does not know ASL. I had CART before.

If you want to do it, you should be able to get CART. A lot of the people who do it were or still are court transcribers.

I think I'm just going to stay out of it. I still have the care of both my mother and MIL and home schooling my teens. Mother is having set-backs from her leg surgery and I'm having to deal with that daily now. No hardship, just bandaging and changing it 4 times daily.

I love being "nursey nicely" that was my father's nickname for me.

good point Reba, maybe CART (captioned at real timing). Someone in the court already is typing, I wonder if it has been done before. Something in my belly tells me that it has been done.

When I went to court, They used CART. But I'm not sure about Jury Duty. I was called to be one, but I ask them to exempt me because I'm severe HOH. So my husband had to take my place.

I shouldn't done it though because that's how discrimination in the court system formed. That is, leaving it up to the people who don't have disabilities and such to be jury duty.

When I went to court, They used CART. But I'm not sure about Jury Duty. I was called to be one, but I ask them to exempt me because I'm severe HOH. So my husband had to take my place.

I shouldn't done it though because that's how discrimination in the court system formed. That is, leaving it up to the people who don't have disabilities and such to be jury duty.

I'm glad you came to that realization.

I'm glad you came to that realization.

I came to that realization when someone thinks we should adopt the England court system. he think law - educated people should be jury duty and thinks uneducated average people are more likely to make decision based on discrimination. I thought about our History and how people were very picky of who is qualified for jury duty and they were usually white men. I think if we choose educated people for jury duty, they are more likely to be decriminate the uneducated (or what england refer as common people) .

Jury duty need a mixture of educated, uneducated, race, disability, etc.

Plus, if the court system can't present the facts to the uneducated person because it is solely for those who understand legal jardon, and that uneducated person went to jail, there will be riots because they don't why that person is in jail. If they can present the facts to the uneducated jury duty, it's easy to say, ahhh, yeah, this is why he went to jail. he needed to go. There's no discrimination here.

When I went to court, They used CART. But I'm not sure about Jury Duty. I was called to be one, but I ask them to exempt me because I'm severe HOH. So my husband had to take my place....
Your husband had to take your place? How did that happen? I've never heard of such a thing, unless you mean he was sent a letter for jury duty the same time you were and happened to be in the same pool.

Back