Jobs that are out of bounds for the HoH

Around here, the deaf and HOH are not welcome to work most anywhere. If you have the job before hand, they can't get rid of you, but they won't hire you if they can help it.

Military regards hearing loss as a medical problem.

They won't let people in if they have flat feet.

They won't let people in if they can't see.

They won't let people in if they have seizures.

It goes on and on.

I think it would be interesting to compile a list of jobs which may be difficult or impossible for someone who is moderately HoH to get into.

Some I can think of:

Fireman
Paramedic
Front line Police officer
Airline pilot
Fighter pilot
Security guard
Soldier

It would also be interesting to hear stories about HoH people who have found work doing a job which one typically wouldn't think they could do, or be allowed to do. (for safety reasons or whatever)

Any others to list or any interesting stories?

ExR

I'm now attending school for my Associates Degree in Nursing, Registered Nurse.

I still have challenges popping up for me to get through, since I am the first Deaf person that the teachers and nursing students have ever met. So I am up front in the classes giving Deaf101 presentations a lot. :D So far I am the only Deaf Nursing student in the college and it's a first for them.

There are huge amounts of misconceptions about Deaf people and Deaf Culture, so much in fact that I plan on making a powerpoint to present to the entire nursing class, both PN and RN, Paramedic, First Aid Responders, CNA's, and MA's.

one thing i learned in my classes, when taking a persons bp if the stethoscope has a good seal in your ears instead of hearing it you can feel it in the ear with each heart beat. I dont know about now though i havent tried it since i had the CI implanted.

Back