Jobs that are out of bounds for the HoH

ExR

Reaction score
I think it would be interesting to compile a list of jobs which may be difficult or impossible for someone who is moderately HoH to get into.

Some I can think of:

Fireman
Paramedic
Front line Police officer
Airline pilot
Fighter pilot
Security guard
Soldier

It would also be interesting to hear stories about HoH people who have found work doing a job which one typically wouldn't think they could do, or be allowed to do. (for safety reasons or whatever)

Any others to list or any interesting stories?

ExR

Last edited:
For some of those positions listed how is it even possible you can do them if they don't allow deaf/HH people in there in the first place?
As far as I knew in the USA to be in the enforcement positions in the police, military, FBI and that sort required non-impaired hearing... Unless people lied on them or something? Or are you talking about the desk office jobs?

For some of those positions listed how is it even possible you can do them if they don't allow deaf/HH people in there in the first place?
As far as I knew in the USA to be in the enforcement positions in the police, military, FBI and that sort required non-impaired hearing... Unless people lied on them or something?

I never suggested that it was possible. :P

EDIT: I see what caused the confusion. I've now moved some sentences around. :)

Who the hell wants to be a telemarketer or any kind of phone operator?

I've known a few in my time; I spoke in tongues responding to them. There are other ways to get them to hang up. :lol:

Who the hell wants to be a telemarketer or any kind of phone operator?

That's not the question. The question asked from the OP is this, "list of jobs which may be difficult or impossible for someone who is moderately HoH to get into." If you can use the phone easily, then you can do telemarketing. Not about whether who would want to be a telemarketer.

That's not the question. The question asked from the OP is this, "list of jobs which may be difficult or impossible for someone who is moderately HoH to get into." If you can use the phone easily, then you can do telemarketing. Not about whether who would want to be a telemarketer.

Does that mean I hafta withdraw my response to Souggy? :lol:

I think managing to pull off a Costa Rican or East Indian accent is more of an accomplishment, for a deaf/hard-of-hearing, than being a telemarketer.

Does that mean I hafta withdraw my response to Souggy? :lol:

Not really. I'd love see a telemarketer from a different country with a thick accent to make a call and speak in English with another person from a different country that has also a thick but different kind of accent as well. I can imagine the script between the two.

I think it would be interesting to compile a list of jobs which may be difficult or impossible for someone who is moderately HoH to get into.

Some I can think of:

Fireman
Paramedic

Front line Police officer
Airline pilot
Fighter pilot
Security guard
Soldier

It would also be interesting to hear stories about HoH people who have found work doing a job which one typically wouldn't think they could do, or be allowed to do. (for safety reasons or whatever)

Any others to list or any interesting stories?

ExR

according to your thread title.. out of bounds.. you can remove those in red from the list. I've got over 15 years in public service.

according to your thread title.. out of bounds.. you can remove those in red from the list. I've got over 15 years in public service.

It may probably in his country, UK.

Back