Job Search Blues

C-NICE

Reaction score
I guess this is a rant. I was recently downsized from my customer service position. B.V.R. is helping me in my job search, but I am just feeling a bit down. 1. My hearing loss has reached a point where heavy duty phone work is out. 2. I want to transition into a more office based field. Sorry but all this has got me down.

:hug:

You're not alone. I, too, lost my job (whole office was closed at the end of the year) and have not yet found another job.

I hope you both find the jobs you want, soon.

I'm sorry. I don't know what to tell but don't sit and feel sorry. Look into yourself to see what you have experience and bring out to your knowledges and positive attitude. Keep working on your resume. If you have college degrees then it's ok

I have two Associate Degrees. I just Shocked by this(was at my last job for 16 years).

As LoveBlue said- you aren't alone. I've been looking for 2 years. It gets frustrating at times but gotta keep moving forward. I am lucky enough I do have a friend I can talk to when needed.

New

I'm new to this website here. :lol::lol how long have you been on this website for? What is your favorite hobby? Favorite sports?

Yeah I hear you it sucks having no job, I lost my first job just out of college and it took me about 6 months before I finally landed another job. If it helps even the most successful people had some bad failures, Steve Jobs of Apple got fired from his own company and look how successful he is.

Sometimes it's not really how often you win it's how you handle the losses that defines your outlook. It's easier said than done I know but sometimes it's all small victories. At least make it a goal every day to do some kind of effort with you job hunting. Go to job fairs, email recruiters, check job boards every day. If you keep it up you'll eventually find something.

One shouldn't emulate Steve Jobs...he may have been a successful business man but he was a failure as a human being. Tell yourself that it's better to be prepared for an opportunity and not have one, then to have an opportunity and not be prepared. Educate yourself and keep trying...at some point, someone will throw you a line so try to stay optimistic, hard as that may be.

Laura

^^ Agree with Lau. The first time I was out of work for a long period of time (more than 6 months....) it WAS challenging to stay positive all the time but I kept trying and someone did throw me a line. OK so it turned out to be a job I should have not taken but it was still a step in the right direction.

10 years later, its the same thing over again lol. It's still challenging to stay positive all the time but at least this time I have a friend to talk me through this. It's okay to be down once in a while but remember to jump back in and if you really want it you'll get that chance again.

If you are doing computer work, why not switch into Development or QA? There is a lot less phone work in those departments.

If you are doing computer work, why not switch into Development or QA? There is a lot less phone work in those departments.
Yes true but some companies still like to do the phone meetings- group phone meetings I might add. I hated those. They're ok sort of if you are the participant but I didn't like them if I had to LEAD the meeting. I was one of the reasons my last job 'reorganized'..'re-jiggered' the job title and duties lol so less phone work and less meetings were of benefit to me.

Is that quality accurance?
Yes- QA= Quality Assurance. It goes by many names.. QA Tester, QA Analyst, System Tester... Automated Tester, manual tester... I think Business Analysts also do a little testing too. Unit Testing is done by the developers (usually...).

Last edited:
Yes true but some companies still like to do the phone meetings- group phone meetings I might add. I hated those. They're ok sort of if you are the participant but I didn't like them if I had to LEAD the meeting. I was one of the reasons my last job 'reorganized'..'re-jiggered' the job title and duties lol so less phone work and less meetings were of benefit to me.

There is a solution for it. A relay service can be used for business calls as long as the length of the meeting is know and the interpreter is informed(they need to take a break).

A lot of companies will make accommodations. I'm glad it worked for you.

Yes, QA means Quality Assurance.

In all the jobs I've had the phone system were either an older PBX system or digital so using any sort of VRS was out of the question. Same was that every job I worked at in the last ten years had rigid restrictions on internet and allowing 'outside' connections so I doubt I would have been able to get VRS even if it was ADA compliant. Same thing with using IM programs. Now I did use IM (AIM of all things...) in at least 2 previous job sites and it was a huge plus but in the last ten years that ability too was taken away for fear of vulnerability. I know for a fact that one of my Team Leads once tried to get them to allow an IM program as it would have benefited me. They said no.

Also-- sometimes the length of the meeting is not always known and to be honest I am not even sure how an outside interpreter/vrs would be able to call into the meeting if it is an internal system (I cannot remember if we did have callers from outside of company X in my lost job... maybe...?).

Too many factors. It will be interesting if i do try to bring it up after I get hired somewhere this time around.

One shouldn't emulate Steve Jobs...he may have been a successful business man but he was a failure as a human being.

The morals of the person in question wasn't the point it was just the fact even extremely successful people failed. Michael Jordan didn't qualify for his high school basketball team, Henry Ford went bankrupt several times before finally starting his Ford motor company.

It's kind of reassuring when you take into account that even the extremely successful people had failures as well. That was the point.

Back