Job Search Blues

Signed up with an employment agency that works with B.V.R. Was told already not to mention my diabetes or hearing loss to potential employers. My concern is that I got to the doctor for both a couple times a year. Wondering how to address this.

Signed up with an employment agency that works with B.V.R. Was told already not to mention my diabetes or hearing loss to potential employers. My concern is that I got to the doctor for both a couple times a year. Wondering how to address this.

Don't mention BEFORE you get a job. Once employed & working then you let your employer know when you need to take time off to go to Dr appts. You don't have to tell what the appts are for.

Definitely don't mention the diabetes either before or after you get hired- that part isn't their business unless it is serious enough then just your team lead or manager. Honestly nobody needs to know why you take your days off but if it's more than say two times a year then might be a good idea to let them know.

Hearing loss/deafness is trickier (at least for me anyway). 99% of the time I don't mention it when first talking to potential jobs. They either figure it out when they try to call my VRS number or if I am having such a hard time hearing them I have to say something in order not to look like a total idiot.

Short answer- don't volunteer that information unless you are either asked or you are in a situation where it does need to be known.

I go for the Type 1 Diabetes 3 times a year & my hearing aids to be retuned every 2 months.

You still don't need to say anything about those until after you start a job. Then, depending on the companies time off policies, you only need to inform them that you need time for an upcoming dr's appt.

I agree with all involved here, don't tell them everything about your medical issues unless they ask or if it could affect your job.

Like with me, even though with my type of work I don't need perfect hearing sometimes people get scared if I tell them about my hearing. The problem is sometimes they equate deafness with dumb or that they will have to get an interpreter. But fortunately I don't need an interpreter and I don't need to make phone calls to do my job.

I sometimes struggle with the ethics of that too but sometimes people just freak out and unfortunately I have to be a little "sleazy" just so that they are not scared off right away.

Well they will see my hearing aids, my loss is severe. I'm am hoping B.V.R. will address this with a potential employer and that is why it is my prefer they handle my job search.

I am sorry that rough thing to happen but you well qualified seem intelligent person maybe this the time think carefully what DO YOU want to do Do it need to be in America or in the field your in,think out of the box...I have had to lie before now but not due to deafness it was black outs I have sadly I know others have for same reason..Dont do pity party do re-evaluation

C-Nice - sorry to hear. I'm wondering what have you done so far on your side beside BVR so that I can give you a better tips.

Well they will see my hearing aids, my loss is severe. I'm am hoping B.V.R. will address this with a potential employer and that is why it is my prefer they handle my job search.

Are you sure they'll see your hearing aids? Do you wear short hair? I wear power aids and have my hair pulled up. I don't think too many people notice my hearing aids. I even have blue glitter molds in my ears.

Seems that the only people who notice hearing aids are others who wear them or people who have family or friends who wear them.

I have decided to go to Facebook for help the jobs sites are so generic.

Are you sure they'll see your hearing aids? Do you wear short hair? I wear power aids and have my hair pulled up. I don't think too many people notice my hearing aids. I even have blue glitter molds in my ears.

Seems that the only people who notice hearing aids are others who wear them or people who have family or friends who wear them.

that true...I love looking at pimped HA but not seen many Bot got nice ones.
I HOPE Something turns up on fb for op
icon14.gif

I go for the Type 1 Diabetes 3 times a year & my hearing aids to be retuned every 2 months.
hearing aids every 2 months? I was thinking in the lines of hearing tests and all that 1 or 2 times a year.

Sometimes what i do is try to put all my doctors appointments on the same day (if possible) or days close to each other then just take that 1 or 2 days off. Otherwise depending on the doc visit I might take half a day off.

What is BVR?

Ahh okay- should have guessed :) Have seen it with different abbreviations-- OVR (Office) DVR (Department) but don't remember seeing B before :).

Back