Job interviews

One other item to take into consideration is that the interviewer also has to decide if you are a trustworthy person. Because of this if you pull a "bait and switch" about the deafness issue they might wonder what else you might hide or lie about.

I doubt that is what they thought... besides, it doesn't make sense. You don't have to notify them that you're deaf (through it's recommended not to mention). It's supposed to show them that you are PERSON and you're equal to other interviewees. It's like you don't have to notify them what color your skin is. It's irrelevant.

That's awesome!

Today I had my first interview since being in a wheelchair and I went into it all nervous about THAT! I was SO scared. But they didn't even bat an eyelash!

I have a second interview next Tuesday. During my interview I told them that I was HOH and picking up my hearing aids next week? Turns out the Shift Manager is deaf and uses SEE and reads lips.

It was an AMAZING thing for me. I am so excited to start working there (they say if you get a 2nd interview you are in)

So an update - I got a reply back from a company I contacted asking for a phone interview... How do i handle that one? Clearly I'm going to need to let them know that a phone interview won't work in the traditional sense for me. Maybe do it tty? I've only done a tty call once and it was weird, but it might be the best option I guess. Crazy to think that the last time i used a phone was the hour before I became deaf!

I doubt that is what they thought... besides, it doesn't make sense. You don't have to notify them that you're deaf (through it's recommended not to mention). It's supposed to show them that you are PERSON and you're equal to other interviewees. It's like you don't have to notify them what color your skin is. It's irrelevant.

Agreed. Unless it comes up, there's no need to discuss disabilities. At the interview, let them see your strengths. Disabilities, hearing loss, learning disabilities, MS, etc., should be given on a need to know basis.

Laura

So an update - I got a reply back from a company I contacted asking for a phone interview... How do i handle that one?

You can use a relay service but in my experience using a chat system such as Skype, AOL IM, etc... is a better option because you get instant and fast communication compared to the relay. Not to mention it can make the interviewer a little awkward talking with an operator over a relay system.

Not to beat a dead horse here, but that's part of why I suggest to be upfront about the deafness issue. It makes for an awkward transition when they start calling you and wonder why you're not answering. And then you have to explain you can't talk on the phone and you'll most likely get the "Ok.. don't call me, we'll call you later" brush off.

Wow, it's been a long time since I started this thread, but good news.... I got a job!!! It's actually pretty close to my dream job - I will be working in the digital marketing department for Lululemon, one of my favorite companies. I'm definitely nervous about all the communications aspects, but I guess I'll feel my way thru it. They seem really cool about it, and actually said that they'll make any accommodations I need - SO I really can't ask for anything more. I am so excited!

-Lauren

Wow, it's been a long time since I started this thread, but good news.... I got a job!!! It's actually pretty close to my dream job - I will be working in the digital marketing department for Lululemon, one of my favorite companies. I'm definitely nervous about all the communications aspects, but I guess I'll feel my way thru it. They seem really cool about it, and actually said that they'll make any accommodations I need - SO I really can't ask for anything more. I am so excited!

-Lauren

Congrats! So tell us how you got the job? Because earlier posts, you stated there was a phone interview. So how did you manage?

Congrats!

I'm going through the same thing... again.. It's the one thing I hate about IT consulting... you have to start over and over every time your contract ends. This time around is somewhat better with VRS and my emphasizing or asking for in-person interviews (if the recruiter is local enough....). I'm still struggling-- have had a few close ones but always comes out to "sorry but we picked somebody else!" .

(I am a QA Tester in the IT field - mainframe..)

Congrats! I'm glad you got something and it's close to what you wanted! It's always nice to at least be close to our dreams. Enjoy your job and I hope you get closer to what you're looking for. :)

Thanks everyone!

So they had initially asked for a phone interview (though this wasn't the job I was referring to in my post from a few months ago). I simply emailed them back and told them that I was deaf, and said that we could either do it thru a relay service or maybe even over something like Skype so that I could read lips. They actually wound up flying me to their corporate HQ in Canada to do the interview face-to-face, and it went amazing. I made it clear that while I do have communication struggles, I can usually work thru them and especially in the role that I am going to be in, everything is done via email and such anyway. They seemed genuinely impressed by my ability to read lips (though I struggle with it to be honest!) and it was cool to see that they picked me for my intelligence and my skills rather than disqualifying me because my ears don't work. I was really nervous for the interview because I am usually voice off and my voice has changed a lot, but I guess they were able to make out what I was saying well enough!

Anyway, I couldn't be more excited to start in a couple of weeks - This is pretty close to my dream job out of college!

Way to go! You can see how if you are just upfront and explain the deaf issue things go a lot smoother. Good luck with the new job!

Hi Everyone,

Just an update - I've started work and it's going really well! My co-workers and boss have been very understanding about my deafness, and have really made an effort to keep as much communication as possible to email, IM, and pen/paper. There are obviously situations where I need to lipread, but they've been very good about it. Naturally I've had to use my voice a bit more than I do otherwise (I am basically voice off usually), but it's been OK. Lululemon is a very disability friendly company it seems!

-Lauren

That's great that you do have a positive attitude adjusting with your life well. Just do your best whatever it works for you. Thanks for stopping by :)

Thanks - I am trying! It's still really, really hard to be honest with you, but I guess i have learned to accept it. The fact of the matter is that my ears aren't going to magically just start working again, so if I can't change it, I might as well accept it!

That's great that you do have a positive attitude adjusting with your life well. Just do your best whatever it works for you. Thanks for stopping by :)

Back