Job interview

Reaction score
Hello everyone ,

So , I have been applying to few jobs , all the jobs I applied to doesn't really require any hearing , mostly office jobs and data entry , BUT I will have to interview for them , Iam HOH , before corona it was okay because I read faces and lips alright ,but now Iam very worried , Iam not sure if there is anything I can do ? Should I tell them before ? Should I use a mic and transcribe ?

My brother went to few ones , we live in the UAE , it's not an inclusive place at all , he even got his offer letter withdrawn when they found out he was HOH , although he passed the initial interview , Iam expecting a simlier kind of discrimination , so any ideas would really help , thanx

I will tell you of a American Job I interviewed for. Before I do, you can understand that they discriminate quite a bit in the northern half of the USA particularly on the east coast. The southern states like Arkansas where i lived did not discriminate for the exact same work I did later in my trucking time. No discrimination here, just a Transplanted Yankee for a few years. Eventually you adapt to the southern ways and thats no longer a problem.

Anyway, this Job Interview took place in Concrete Construction Company called Thomas Bennett and Hunter in Westminster Maryland. TBH for short. I used to deliver to them Cement in Bulk Tanker with 18 wheeler from New Market Hahn Trucking to Blue Circle in Downtown Baltimore at the ports (Curtis Bay Terminals-Camden etc) And bring to TBH 25 ton of cement and put it into their silo. No problems delivering TO them....

Fast forward a few months. Its raining and I go to their main office in downtown Westminster. Its got 20+ 18 wheelers on two sides of their corporate office in their yard off the street and a number of mixers which were smaller trucks for delivering ready mixed concrete. The difference between these two kinds of trucks in the USA means either a Class B License (This was before CDL days) for the smaller trucks or a full Class A which I held for the 18 wheelers that TBH had. They were interviewing for concrete drivers in the smaller trucks.

Keep in Mind that if you hold a Class A you can drive anything except motorcycles. So the smaller trucks are just like the big ones but no trailers. Thats the difference. In the end the job of driving etc is the same.

Keeping that in mind I go meet with their Vice President in his nice office with the big table and beautiful furniture etc. We go over the application, my history, schooling and so forth. Then he leans back in the chair and says you are over qualified. (He wants class B drivers on paper but most all places especially those with 20+ 18 wheelers visible outside two walls worth of windows parked in the rain... will take anyone with Class A)

I told him thats BS. Is there a problem?

Yes. Your hearing aids.

I reminded him with a audiogram made at the Maryland hearing aid service to be valid and within DOT medical rules specifically for hearing to be allowed to drive 18 wheelers. Made the previous week. Not very old at all. And I had been sitting at the big table with him using my voice and hearing aids listening to and answering his questions verbally without any issue.... SO...

Discrimination.

I also reminded him that he personally occasionally was on site when I was delivering cement to his plant without trouble in person for months prior.

Silence.

I knew then TBH will rather burn than hire anyone with a disability regardless of meeting our DOT/FMCSA medical requirements to be able to hear and so forth. I consulted with a lawyer the following day, if I sued TBH and won it would be a life time worth of labor from 21 to 65 at a rate of then market payroll of about 2 million or so total plus inflation COLA rates each year increase for 44 years. Either in lump sum award minus 20% to the lawyer at judgement win against TBH or they make annual payments that increase every year.

We referred the whole thing to DOT/FMCSA and they reviewed my actual medical status specifically my hearing disability (HOH with hearing aids etc) They find me to be valid and able to work commercial anything in the USA and Canada etc. The thing is this. They also found that the TBH or any Employer can... be MORE STRICTER in medical requirements so.. NO deaf, HOH, hearing aids no nothing. Period. They can have all hearing people and it will be stone cold LEGAL. Still is.

So I had no case. It would have been quite something under our ADA in those days decades ago.

This was in our State of Maryland on the east coast where i lived then. I emigrated to Arkansas and found the exact same work in two different concrete companies here without ANY discrimination and so on. Put in 2 years worth after I got married etc. So two different cultures in the same USA. One with Discrimination in the north and no discrimination here in the south as long you were not stuck on stupid or nailed down as they say.

My brother went to few ones , we live in the UAE , it's not an inclusive place at all , he even got his offer letter withdrawn when they found out he was HOH , although he passed the initial interview , Iam expecting a simlier kind of discrimination , so any ideas would really help , thanx

Omg that's bad, well it's their loss by rejecting a potentially good confident worker.

The key here is try not to make your hoh an issue for them, state it only if asked but point out it's not going to be a problem providing you're given a chance, be confident & assertive.

Omg that's bad, well it's their loss by rejecting a potentially good confident worker.

The key here is try not to make your hoh an issue for them, state it only if asked but point out it's not going to be a problem providing you're given a chance, be confident & assertive.
Well I hope we can communicate somehow , Iam v confident usually

I recently went to an online adult toy store for an interview job, and my position is: online mail customer service. Let me go home and wait for the news. I am a little nervous now! ! Hope to pass the interview and participate in the work

Back