Jiffy lube scam caught on tape!

rockin'robin

Reaction score
If you’re one of the many Americans that need a little bit of help working on your car, you might feel a bit overwhelmed when picking the right mechanic and you’re not alone.

This undercover investigation shows you exactly why such a feeling is completely warranted. To be honest, the results of the investigation are nothing less than horrifying.

We watch the footage as a series of cars are marked to see if parts, including oil filters, are replaced and hidden cameras aid in the investigation as well. The results of the scam are quite surprising.

Check out the video below that exposes the shops in a whole slew of unethical behavior as captured at multiple shops through multiple newscasts. What do you think of this shady behavior?

Watch the videos!...In cc...
http://speedsociety.com/lube-shop/?source=c10&c10

They're not alone in this... tire shop also cheat customers too. They try to charge you money for something you don't need. Last year, Firestone were hit with fraud for unnecessary repairs and replacing things that is not needed. http://abc7news.com/news/7-bay-area-firestone-shops-accused-of-fraud/1404430/

Midas also had bad reputation for similar situation which my grandfather was a victim when they performed work without written authorization.

When you take your car for a service, make sure you review the invoice for the service you are paying for before you sign authorization for them to perform service. When work is completed, review the repair/service invoice before you sign and pay.

There is a lot of oil change, tire shops that is cheating customers trying to rip them off for unauthorized service/ repairs that is not needed.

I go to Valvoline for my oil changes. They do try to hit me up with other repairs but I always say no. I let the husband look at what they wanted to change, and it's always fine. So I'm good about saying NO. :)

Very few auto repair shops are on the up and up. They constantly try to up sell you on other repairs and unless your watching them, chances are some or all of the items they up sold you on won't be done. Another industry wide scam is charging you "book rate" for the repair and taking much less time to do the repair. I was once charged the "book rate" which was 8 hours labor for a repair on our Mazda, problem was the owner called to tell me the car was ready 3 hours after I dropped it off. I told him he was a crook and this was the one and only time I would bring my car into the shop and would also tell every Mazda owner I came across to not bring their car to Mr Mazda which I am still doing to this day! Sears was also caught doing what Jiffy lube was doing back in the 1990's and had to pay an $8 million fine to the state of CA and full restitution to the customers they ripped off in the state. If you can do the repairs yourself do it, at least you know it will be done.

Not too surprised. Jiffy lube nearly killed me for forget to cap to close the oil pan on my construction van in 2009. This is happening too fast. Sorry about scrappy sidekick photo.

IMG00206_zps8mytoapu.jpg

IMG00207_zpsyqaok3h5.jpg

IMG00210_zpsgqs77edf.jpg

IMG00212_zpsgqsckhg8.jpg

IMG00213_zpsdiopas4z.jpg

IMG00214_zpsesylmjiq.jpg

After that, my company sued Jiffy lube and get settlement with them for disclosed amount of money, and I get $0 and company use $$$ to buy new construction vans, and they didn't even bother to give me a new one.

Not too surprised. Jiffy lube nearly killed me for forget to cap to close the oil pan on my construction van in 2009. This is happening too fast. Sorry about scrappy sidekick photo.

IMG00206_zps8mytoapu.jpg

IMG00207_zpsyqaok3h5.jpg

IMG00210_zpsgqs77edf.jpg

IMG00212_zpsgqsckhg8.jpg

IMG00213_zpsdiopas4z.jpg

IMG00214_zpsesylmjiq.jpg

After that, my company sued Jiffy lube and get settlement with them for disclosed amount of money, and I get $0 and company use $$$ to buy new construction vans, and they didn't even bother to give me a new one.
well..I'm not surprised you burnt up their company Van.. no wonder they didn't give you the new one..

well..I'm not surprised you burnt up their company Van.. no wonder they didn't give you the new one..

My former company won the settlement. Now you're saying I caused the fire?

IMG00206_zps8mytoapu.jpg

IMG00207_zpsyqaok3h5.jpg

IMG00210_zpsgqs77edf.jpg

IMG00212_zpsgqsckhg8.jpg

IMG00213_zpsdiopas4z.jpg

IMG00214_zpsesylmjiq.jpg

My nephew worked for Jiffy Lube about 20 years ago. The number one thing that employees forgot to do was to tighten the oil pan drain bolt, closely followed by forgetting to tighten the oil filter. Each store had insurance to cover one motor per month for negligence on the part of the employees doing this.

Last edited:
Yikes. I usually go for local mechanics rather than major companies like Firestone and Walmart. I use yelp and google reviews to make my judgement. There are two auto shops across me. One of them is the best one and family owned shop with two cute German Shepherd dogs. The other one, Express Lube is horrible and got bad reviews. I feel sorry for sign flipper. He is trying draw new customers to Express Lube, but the garages are so empty! The family owned shop is already packed, and many cars and trucks sit and wait to be cared for.

If you’re one of the many Americans that need a little bit of help working on your car, you might feel a bit overwhelmed when picking the right mechanic and you’re not alone.

This undercover investigation shows you exactly why such a feeling is completely warranted. To be honest, the results of the investigation are nothing less than horrifying.

We watch the footage as a series of cars are marked to see if parts, including oil filters, are replaced and hidden cameras aid in the investigation as well. The results of the scam are quite surprising.

Check out the video below that exposes the shops in a whole slew of unethical behavior as captured at multiple shops through multiple newscasts. What do you think of this shady behavior?

This video was taken in South California in around 2013 or 2014, I think.

Very few auto repair shops are on the up and up. They constantly try to up sell you on other repairs and unless your watching them, chances are some or all of the items they up sold you on won't be done. Another industry wide scam is charging you "book rate" for the repair and taking much less time to do the repair. I was once charged the "book rate" which was 8 hours labor for a repair on our Mazda, problem was the owner called to tell me the car was ready 3 hours after I dropped it off. I told him he was a crook and this was the one and only time I would bring my car into the shop and would also tell every Mazda owner I came across to not bring their car to Mr Mazda which I am still doing to this day! Sears was also caught doing what Jiffy lube was doing back in the 1990's and had to pay an $8 million fine to the state of CA and full restitution to the customers they ripped off in the state. If you can do the repairs yourself do it, at least you know it will be done.

Actually that is a normal business routine, They charge the "book rate" to know how much to pay mechanic to do the job. They aren't paid by the hour or a salary but by each car they work on. If they work faster than the "book rate" they actually make more money by being able to work on next car sooner.

The book rate is determined by manufacturer (if memory serves) that estimate how long it would take a normal mechanic to do the job in proper manner.

Actually that is a normal business routine, They charge the "book rate" to know how much to pay mechanic to do the job. They aren't paid by the hour or a salary but by each car they work on. If they work faster than the "book rate" they actually make more money by being able to work on next car sooner.

The book rate is determined by manufacturer (if memory serves) that estimate how long it would take a normal mechanic to do the job in proper manner.

Yes, and no mechanic working for a shop or the dealer is working like a normal mechanic they would be fired if they did. A friend of mine who works for a dealership told me that most of the mechanics at the shop he works at do the repairs in less that 40% of the book rate.
The shop I took my Mazda to was worked on by the owner of the shop, he had no employees, the problem was he gave us no quote, and the paperwork didn't even say we would be charged the book rate. When we went in to pick up the car 3 hrs after dropping it off he hit us up with a bill for $910 and told me the repairs were book rated at a little over 8 hrs . He also charged us $35 for antifreeze(said it was low) $8 per quart for oil and something like $75 for valve cover gaskets. I told him if I knew I was going to get hosed on the antifreeze and oil I would of brought my own in. I should of turned this guy into the state but my wife got in the way.

I know several mechanics who work at dealerships and they make about $30 hr and the shop rate in the SF Bay Area is around $145 hr with some charging $160 or more and hr. The mechanic isn't making the money, the dealership is.

Last edited:
Yes, and no mechanic working for a shop or the dealer is working like a normal mechanic they would be fired if they did. A friend of mine who works for a dealership told me that most of the mechanics at the shop he works at do the repairs in less that 40% of the book rate.
The shop I took my Mazda to was worked on by the owner of the shop, he had no employees, the problem was he gave us no quote, and the paperwork didn't even say we would be charged the book rate. When we went in to pick up the car 3 hrs after dropping it off he hit us up with a bill for $910 and told me the repairs were book rated at a little over 8 hrs . He also charged us $35 for antifreeze(said it was low) $8 per quart for oil and something like $75 for valve cover gaskets. I told him if I knew I was going to get hosed on the antifreeze and oil I would of brought my own in. I should of turned this guy into the state but my wife got in the way.

I know several mechanics who work at dealerships and they make about $30 hr and the shop rate in the SF Bay Area is around $145 hr with some charging $160 or more and hr. The mechanic isn't making the money, the dealership is.

Now that is a different story alright!!

I look up labor time for water pump replacement, says 1.5 hour, shop labor rate is $100 a hour. Labor is $150 plus parts etc...but service managers or technicians can be free time to overcharge customers like $200 to $300 for labor alone, that's normal. When I was a young brilliant mechanic, replaced water pump in like 15 to 30 minutes of the labor time, labor time called out 1 1/2 hour.

Oh no. Maybe he never replace valve cover gaskets, just add coolant/oil. What.... if your car have 4 cylinders, he would finish v/c gasket in less 2 hours but $910 is crazy or he misunderstood it for V-6 DOHC in Mazda vehicle. Nothing new to me. I remember I saw a repair invoice paper that a service writer typed it, says $700 for valve cover gaskets in V-6 DOHC engine, that I replaced it in 4 cylinder engine, suppose to be quote 1.0 hour. Customer bought it. Crazy service writer.....

Oh no. Maybe he never replace valve cover gaskets, just add coolant/oil. What.... if your car have 4 cylinders, he would finish v/c gasket in less 2 hours but $910 is crazy or he misunderstood it for V-6 DOHC in Mazda vehicle. Nothing new to me. I remember I saw a repair invoice paper that a service writer typed it, says $700 for valve cover gaskets in V-6 DOHC engine, that I replaced it in 4 cylinder engine, suppose to be quote 1.0 hour. Customer bought it. Crazy service writer.....

The car in question was a 1992 V-6 MPV. We sold that one and bought a 2003 MPV to replace it. I've done all the repairs on this one.

i remember driving across the country and oil change time came up. I stopped at a busy service station. I wanted the rear end checked as well. Me I am curious about everything so quietly walked around to where my truck was. The guy was working hard to break the plug loose backwards. I stopped him but tired and cold I went back to the waiting area. Oil change done I got back to the Motel and checked over the oil change yep the drain plug on the oil pan was about to fall out. I was young and not as assertive as now and just continued on the next day after tightening the plug myself.
You can be very mechanical and still get screwed at the repair shop. They are rougher on women(the bastards) but you still have to check everything. Everything. Things are more corrupt than ever every year that goes by.

i remember driving across the country and oil change time came up. I stopped at a busy service station. I wanted the rear end checked as well. Me I am curious about everything so quietly walked around to where my truck was. The guy was working hard to break the plug loose backwards. I stopped him but tired and cold I went back to the waiting area. Oil change done I got back to the Motel and checked over the oil change yep the drain plug on the oil pan was about to fall out. I was young and not as assertive as now and just continued on the next day after tightening the plug myself.
You can be very mechanical and still get screwed at the repair shop. They are rougher on women(the bastards) but you still have to check everything. Everything. Things are more corrupt than ever every year that goes by.
I subbed for a smog technician who were on vacation at another gas station, saw a technician open oil drain plug by using his cordless 1/2" drive impact gun, still use it to tight oil drain plug after oil drained. To me is No No No because I've seen stripped or crossed threaded holes in the oil pans. Unprofessional same as my co-workers at another station. Insane.

Back