Jehovah's Witness mother dies after refusing blood

Status
Not open for further replies.
Whether you think she is ethically/morally wrong, legally she is right in her own way. She is the mother of her own child.

You are not the parent.

Thank you!!:ty:

Not if it involves endangering a life of a minor. She can decide that for her own life, but not for her child's life.

I had someone report me to the authorities regarding my decision. When the judge asked the reasons why I made that decision, I provided my own "expert witnesses", my cousin (who's son committed suicide), the doctors my children were seeing and people from the local blood bank where the hospitals received the blood from. The judge agreed with my decision and threw the case out of court. He said that I was only looking out for the best interest of my children, but urged me to allow them to make their own decisions when they were of age. I agreed.

The reason I will never ever allow myself or my children to have blood transfusions is:

Back in the 1980's before they tested for anything other than HIV/AIDS, my mother had to have a transfusion due to a massive blood loss due to an infection caused by issues in the hospital after a simple D&C. A few years later, during a routine physical for insurance through her employer, she was diagnosed with Hepatitis C. Here, almost 20 years later, mom is still somewhat okay, but we found lst year during a different medical crisis, she now has cirrohsis of the liver due to the Hep C she got from the transfusion. she is going through the beginning stages of dementia, going through liver failure and since the surgery to her leg a year ago, we still have to bandage little sores that pop up weekly. I have a full pharmacy of antibiotic creams, bandages and latex-free gloves all to take care of my mother. I have the red infectious disease bags for her bandages and have to take it to the doctor's office weekly to dispose of. All because of a simple 1 unit of blood from a transfusion. I will never subject my children to any possibility of this horror. They already have to help me at times with my mother.

You would rather have them die than POSSIBLY, not surely, not even probably, be exposed to a disease?

My daughter had to use the entire supply of A- blood in the hospital after her birth. They literally ran out. She is alive and well.

I am afraid you are ethically and morally wrong, given the data we have now.

I think you are overstepping your boundary. The law and medical ethics are already there to support KristinaB's decision to refuse so. In fact, the judge has already complied with her decision. KristinaB has already proved, beyond reasonable doubt, that she is coherent and rational. Do you have a child, no?

You just rather have your child die just because you're so worried about him getting hep C or HIV even though the odds of getting it is remarkably low and the benefits outweigh the risks inherent in blood transfusion?

And EVEN if your own child gets Hep C or HIV, it doesn't mean death sentence for him... there are quite a lot of people cured of Hep C thanks to new drugs and now, AIDS death is being less common thanks to HAART therapies - HIV+ people are now expected to live for 30+ years, not within 10 years in the old days.
is there anything in your data that shows the suicide as the result of having AIDS/HIV?

You would rather have them die than POSSIBLY, not surely, not even probably, be exposed to a disease?

My daughter had to use the entire supply of A- blood in the hospital after her birth. They literally ran out. She is alive and well.

:-o what happened? entire blood supply for a little baby?? wow!

I am afraid you are ethically and morally wrong, given the data we have now.

You just rather have your child die just because you're so worried about him getting hep C or HIV even though the odds of getting it is remarkably low and the benefits outweigh the risks inherent in blood transfusion?

And EVEN if your own child gets Hep C or HIV, it doesn't mean death sentence for him... there are quite a lot of people cured of Hep C thanks to new drugs and now, AIDS death is being less common thanks to HAART therapies - HIV+ people are now expected to live for 30+ years, not within 10 years in the old days.

It's her choice to do with her children so she isn't alone because I know about some people are very concern about blood transfusion.

I think there should be alternative to give a blood instead of blood transfusion from human.

I think there should be alternative to give a blood instead of blood transfusion from human.

According to the JW's I have talked to there is more than one alternative. The one they mentioned is lactated ringers (sp?). They are not only acceptable to Jehovah's Witnesses they are not rejected by the body the way blood is and are therefore probably safer to use. My JW sources say blood transfusions are in fact antiquated technology.

I've had transfusions, the doctors say I would not have lived without them, but I've been lied to by doctors before, so I don't trust them. So far as I'm concerned my late wife died because of doctors.

If there is an alternative to blood transfusions I would prefer it myself.

So the question might be why weren't alternatives used in this case?

I think you are overstepping your boundary. The law and medical ethics are already there to support KristinaB's decision to refuse so. In fact, the judge has already complied with her decision. KristinaB has already proved, beyond reasonable doubt, that she is coherent and rational. Do you have a child, no?

is there anything in your data that shows the suicide as the result of having AIDS/HIV?

Courts do step in. Remember the boy they tried not to treat for lymphoma?

He is getting treatment now even though his parents did not want it.

:-o what happened? entire blood supply for a little baby?? wow!

She was on a heart-lung bypass. She needed 3x's her body's blood supply in the machine at all times. And the blood only lasts for so long, so it needs "refreshed" often.

rockin'robin

I've seen JW's wears makeup and they are allowed to wears a dress pants, one man who is deaf has long hair cover his deformed ears which long hair not permit either but he has a reason to cover it, I don't blame him. I do not believe a parents disowned her.

Growing up, my best friend and her family were JW's....they did not believe/celebrate Christmas and she was not allowed to wear makeup or even pants.....She was not a happy camper!

She's grown up now with a family of her own, has broken from the Church, and celebrates Christmas and wear what she wants to, even wears makeup. Her parents practically disowned her.

I agree with Doug

I agree with you Doug, I thought religion isn't suppose to be here, there they goes bashing on JW again, why is JW always being persecuting? Its time that everybody stop persecuting JW. They're always pointing a finger at JW, thats enough!!!

I noticed that JW do not persecuting other people's religions, they respected other's people's belief & faith. People here in alldeaf have nothing better to do!

To the MOD - Please closed this, religion is not to be discuss it again! Thank you!

so will you bash my religion too? No, Im not JW, but am just not into destroying or ridiculing others' faith.

I've seen JW's wears makeup and they are allowed to wears a dress pants, one man who is deaf has long hair cover his deformed ears which long hair not permit either but he has a reason to cover it, I don't blame him. I do not believe a parents disowned her.

Right, there are variations within any church and religion. I know a JW that wear makeups, but some don't either.

Anyone forgot something too ?

A fla man is dying of Aid, he recieved a blood transfusion while he was in the hospital, hes not a JW, got that ?

After he recieved a blood transfusion he started to get very sick and they had to test his blood and found out that he got Aid and the man got very angry is suing the hospital with a lawsuit.

So is it worth to take blood transfusion ? I say NO!!! Its unsafe, they have other kind of fusion to give to people beside the real blood.

Many people have Aid, HIV and STD don't know it they have it and they donated their blood, its a bad ideas!

Mod note:

For the time being, JW is part of religious discussion and I'm moving this thread to the proper place.

Thanks.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back