I've been invited to go to the Open house at state school for the deaf

Grayma

Reaction score
My deaf friend asked me to go and I said yes. Now I'm getting cold feet. I don't think my signing skills are up to it, and I don't have any idea what happens at their open house.

My deaf friend asked me to go and I said yes. Now I'm getting cold feet. I don't think my signing skills are up to it, and I don't have any idea what happens at their open house.

Being an Open House, I'd think it would be geared towards both deaf & hearing. They're probably wanting to show the school to prospective students many of which probably have hearing parents.

My daughter's school always has many interpreters throughout the crowd to make it easy for those who can't keep up with the rapid pace of signing to stay in the conversation. :) They usually try to make it as comfortable as possible -- go for it!

Go and enjoy yourself! Remember that open houses generally mean lots of parents who don't sign... You never know unless you go. :)

I went- my husband and two youngest kids came, too, as well as another friend who is learning ASL. We had a great time. I am glad we went.

The only thing I didn't like was the heat- it was 90 degrees and humid and I didn't bring extra water.

I met several other deaf people, everybody was kind and accommodating, got lots of signing practice.

Wirelessly posted (BB Curve 9300)

:thumb:

Back