It's up for debate, or is it?

Discussions with hearies. Most friends; some not so much. Some are truly interested in knowing about the deafie world but some are just ignorant. They can't comprehend that since we look like everyone else that we could be *so* different in how we think and communicate. When hearies aren't, how do you say, exposed to our culture, it seems to be a new concept that they cannot, or won't, grasp.

Even after exposure, there are those hearies that refuse to grasp that there are differences. Oh, well. Just leave them in ignorance, I guess.

The simplest explantion would be the one that PFH gave: deafies are just more visual.

We are like peas in a pod, you and I, lol. I suggest you explore this site a bit for answers, then if you have any questions, fire away! :wave:

Thanks! I was lurking for a bit to get a feel for the community here and finally decided to register. I'm looking forward to having lots of, "That's exactly how I feel," moments.

I will certainly try.:P

All people perceive information through sensory avenues such as vision, hearing, touch, etc. That information is then sent to particular areas of the brain to be processed. Seeing, hearing, feeling are the result of that process. Then we translate that information into something that we can relate to in order to give it meaning.

The deaf tend to use different avenues in processing various types of information than the hearing do. For instance, hearing people tend to process sound exclusively in the auditory centers and to give it meaning by relating to something they have heard before. The deaf tend to process sound in both the auditory and the visual centers and give it meaning by relating it to something they have seen before.

Also, the deaf tend to use a technique known as top down processing more often than the hearing. That is the process of seeing something as a whole and then breaking in down into the elements that make it up. Hearing people rely on bottom up processing more, where they first see the elements and then put them together to form the whole.

This can get confusing, I know. But I am happy to answer any questions you have, and to keep explaining until I make it understandable.

Thank you *so* much! The only thing I don't quite understand is the bolded part. Are you saying that hearies think in little bits and pieces and then make a puzzle? Are you also saying that deafies have the puzzle put together already and then detach the little bits and pieces to understand the whole picture?

That's kind of how I think. I see a puzzle and this is how I explain it to my hearie friends; as a puzzle. That I can see so many things in that puzzle.

Thank you *so* much! The only thing I don't quite understand is the bolded part. Are you saying that hearies think in little bits and pieces and then make a puzzle? Are you also saying that deafies have the puzzle put together already and then detach the little bits and pieces to understand the whole picture?

That's kind of how I think. I see a puzzle and this is how I explain it to my hearie friends; as a puzzle. That I can see so many things in that puzzle.

Yeah...that is a pretty accurate description, I'd say.

And you are very welcome.

Not really up for a debate...

We are visually based. Its been proven over and over.

That's what I always say to hearies. That I'm more visual and sensory (ie: touch, taste, smell).

This particular yahoo, let's call him Rambo, :P prompted my joining this site. He suggested that deafies don't find it difficult to communicate at all. I'll post for you what Rambo said because I couldn't for the life of me try to convey or articulate how wrong he was.

5. [poster] I have to say I am pretty much in confusion with the way you are leaving common sense and logic at the door when you are coming in here. Thinking Deafie? are you freaking serious? I am with hearing issues myself and to me this nonsense about being abrupt and blunt or not being able to articulate due to a hearing impairment is a load of horse dung. Quite frankly that is an insult to the many people with a hearing impairment

I would particularly love some input on Rambo's observations of deafies. Is he right? Wrong? Belongs in a dark room where Bif and Rex can teach him how to be a little more respectable to those who are different from him?:giggle:

That's what I always say to hearies. That I'm more visual and sensory (ie: touch, taste, smell).

This particular yahoo, let's call him Rambo, :P prompted my joining this site. He suggested that deafies don't find it difficult to communicate at all. I'll post for you what Rambo said because I couldn't for the life of me try to convey or articulate how wrong he was.

5. [poster] I have to say I am pretty much in confusion with the way you are leaving common sense and logic at the door when you are coming in here. Thinking Deafie? are you freaking serious? I am with hearing issues myself and to me this nonsense about being abrupt and blunt or not being able to articulate due to a hearing impairment is a load of horse dung. Quite frankly that is an insult to the many people with a hearing impairment

I would particularly love some input on Rambo's observations of deafies. Is he right? Wrong? Belongs in a dark room where Bif and Rex can teach him how to be a little more respectable to those who are different from him?:giggle:

He is the most wrong person I have encountered today!:lol: Would appear to be one of those jerks that will never learn because they already believe they know it all. I also see evidence of a bully in there.

Interesting that you can see evidence of a bully in there. You're not the first person who holds that opinion.

I'm speculating here but I think his hearing issues might be helped out with a Q-tip and a good clean. There's a huge, huge difference between being a deafie and being a hearie who may not have good hygiene that contributes to a temporary hearing loss.:giggle:

Respectful?

This is a poster from another site? You joined us to find fighting allies?

Ignore him and don't go to that site. Problem solved.

No, that is not why I came here. I came to find out if I am the only one who thinks deafie. Obviously, based on the replies here, this is not the case.

Keep in mind that NOT all deaf people are bilingual. I've seen someone with PURE ASL that even can't write properly (the "written" ASL).

Interesting that you can see evidence of a bully in there. You're not the first person who holds that opinion.

I'm speculating here but I think his hearing issues might be helped out with a Q-tip and a good clean. There's a huge, huge difference between being a deafie and being a hearie who may not have good hygiene that contributes to a temporary hearing loss.:giggle:

I know a few hearies that I swear have acquired deafness from having their heads up their butts for long periods of time.:lol:

For the sake of opening up this debate, I'm going to make an assumption about the OP: even though you are deaf and, yes, you DO think differently than a normal hearing person, your native language is still English. Is this correct?

I don't see how you can't think in English given that it is your first language (you didn't mention if you ever learned ASL, btw). Certainly you wouldn't use English to think the same way that a hearing person does, but the thoughts in your mind are still based on English morphemes. For someone who's native language is ASL, their thoughts are often articulated in pictures, even by seeing the handshapes for signs. Is this how you think?

I just want to get a better idea of what you mean here. I know that deaf/hoh people think differently than hearies, and the reasons are both language-based, and neurologically-based, but there is a huge difference between using English as internal language and using ASL/visual code as an internal language, and it seems to me that your internal language is still based on English.

And as for Rambo... the guy is a complete moron.

Actually, this is very common no matter what environment you were raised in. That is a testament to the fact that the deaf person uses different cognitive processes to access understanding. It is also why we need to look at those differences so that education can address their strengths.

I could not agree more ! and tho I became deaf only 7 years ago..the differences in even ASL amoung the deaf was apparent. I agree each individual needs to be tested and then address the weaknesses , if any..smile..and encouage the strengths..I have a good friend born deaf and he explained to me how he went to school with his hearing brother and any words that he could not understand or lipread he would sit with his dad at night and learn how to say them..amazing because now, he speaks with just a bit of his natural Texan accent...smile we are all different and learn in different ways..that should be encouraged.:wave:

Me think deaf people ponder that wow different world.

First imagine picture, act, how respond that me do do how that me think.

How how change picture that hearing can match understand what me mean.

Me try word match picture, action different ways, translate to sentence.

Dont care mistake in grammar, important bring from mind to paper.

Finish mind blank nothing left, then watch what sentence say.

Turn mind off, put on hearing mind, word order order perfect must.

The an are is etc, articles important add must.

Make sure grammar no error, that perfect, pah ready show, that my express!

That.

For the sake of opening up this debate, I'm going to make an assumption about the OP: even though you are deaf and, yes, you DO think differently than a normal hearing person, your native language is still English. Is this correct?

I don't see how you can't think in English given that it is your first language (you didn't mention if you ever learned ASL, btw). Certainly you wouldn't use English to think the same way that a hearing person does, but the thoughts in your mind are still based on English morphemes. For someone who's native language is ASL, their thoughts are often articulated in pictures, even by seeing the handshapes for signs. Is this how you think?

I just want to get a better idea of what you mean here. I know that deaf/hoh people think differently than hearies, and the reasons are both language-based, and neurologically-based, but there is a huge difference between using English as internal language and using ASL/visual code as an internal language, and it seems to me that your internal language is still based on English.

And as for Rambo... the guy is a complete moron.

There are cases of those whose native language is English who still process the morphemes into a visual symbol. Even some hearies that are visual learners will do this.

There are cases of those whose native language is English who still process the morphemes into a visual symbol. Even some hearies that are visual learners will do this.

Interesting! do you know offhand where I could find this research?

Me think deaf people ponder that wow different world.

First imagine picture, act, how respond that me do do how that me think.

How how change picture that hearing can match understand what me mean.

Me try word match picture, action different ways, translate to sentence.

Dont care mistake in grammar, important bring from mind to paper.

Finish mind blank nothing left, then watch what sentence say.

Turn mind off, put on hearing mind, word order order perfect must.

The an are is etc, articles important add must.

Make sure grammar no error, that perfect, pah ready show, that my express!

That.

Yep. I have often said the difference in thinking in ASL and English is that ASL paints a picture and English describes that picture.

Yep. I have often said the difference in thinking in ASL and English is that ASL paints a picture and English describes that picture.

Yes me agree that. ASL also beautiful language. Deep with facial gesture important that we relate with other deaf people *nods head*.

Me also *kiss fist* iambic pentameter something that hearing people not understand. I mean many not. Until I read book "The Ode Less Traveled" written by Stephen Fry, wow, awesome, mind deep like abyss.

Yes me agree that. ASL also beautiful language. Deep with facial gesture important that we relate with other deaf people *nods head*.

Me also *kiss fist* iambic pentameter something that hearing people not understand. I mean many not. Until I read book "The Ode Less Traveled" written by Stephen Fry, wow, awesome, mind deep like abyss.

Same me. Iambic pentameter same rhythm. Much feeling.

Back