its been a few years

Wow, what a rough time. I feel for you and I hope things progress in a happier and better fashion SOON.

ive got one...this is the really sad part. last year, when he first started school, one of the aides through an absolute titty baby fit because he had to be tube fed 4 times during the school day..she said they didnt have time, and refused to do it, so we had to get a disability attorney up there to set them straight. then they started checking his stomach contents with a syringe, as a sort of underhanded method of saying he had too much in his tummy to be tube fed, and that they would have to postpone it. i put a stop to that real quick, and they tried it again this year. i also found out that they are making him "sit out" at recess because he shoves people, when i told them that he pushes people to get their attention. whatever, luckily this attorney is really on the ball and hopefully can get him in that program. i have to go by and meet the teachers and staff first though. i almost feel like the school wants to do the bare minimum of pretty much anything.

Were they even qualify to check his stomach contents ?? So they were just going to let your son go hungry in other words! That is great you have a good disability attorney for your son . Yeah the school is trying to get advantage of your son disability of not a being to tell you how they're treating him and that abuse to me !

the deaf school wont take him, i already tried that...they said that they have delayed kids, but not kids as delayed as frank, and kids that require tube feeding. that sucks because my husbands friend went there, and he did just fine! im open to the communication devices but i honestly think they are nonexistent at this school. they are using switches and such, but that is hardly a communication device.
they are wanting to do verbal only, with a picture board and the communication device...no sign language at all.

Good on you for looking into the Deaf School thou! It's always worth a shot That's the downside of Deaf Schools....while they CAN and DO serve a lot of dhh kids, they can't serve ALL dhh kids, especially kids who would be better served at a severely disabled program. And thank you for not being all upset about being told that they are unable to serve kids like Frankie.....Anyone else remember that mother who was upset that a low functioning Down's kid wasn't being admitted to a Deaf School?
Is his current class/program filled with hearing students? And yes, i agree 100% with you that a switch isn't really a communication device.

hell no they arent qualified and what they were doing is feeding him all the formula at once!! which is why he came home puking his face off.

the class he is in...is nothing but kids who can hear, and are so far ahead of him, its unreal. i dont even know why they are there!

it is a public school, and i found out from frankies audiologist that there is an awesome all deaf/disabled program in the next town..apparently they have kids like frank, who are deaf but really delayed, and its almost like they immerse the kids in sign language. i plan on pushing for that, if it checks out ok. these people are just really half assed about everything!

Oh that would be AWESOME!!!!!! That sounds like the perfect program for him!!!! But yeah take action against that teacher!

the class he is in...is nothing but kids who can hear, and are so far ahead of him, its unreal. i dont even know why they are there!

Really? So realtively high functioning severe kids? Are they moderately severe?

no. they are "on the spectrum" or they have behavioral issues. seriously, these kids talk, play, do kindergarten age appropriate activities...i have no idea why they have put them in a class for kids like frank..or maybe frank is the only kid like him there, which is more likely. i begged them to hold him back and keep him in the old classroom, because it ended up working out really well, he had an aide who was really good to him and doted over him, but they said they dont have the room. they did suggest shipping him to this other school for "lower functioning" kids. but none of them are deaf though, frank is the only one. which is why they are being so stupid over teaching him sign language. the teacher said sign language isnt a long term solution and he will never have a chance at being independent.

Part of the problem is funding is being cut for students with LD , this is happening in my state. And charter schools are taking money away from public schools . I think it's really sad that pubic schools have to fundraisers
to operate . My granddaughter's school is always having fundraisers to buys supply for schools.

no. they are "on the spectrum" or they have behavioral issues. seriously, these kids talk, play, do kindergarten age appropriate activities...i have no idea why they have put them in a class for kids like frank..or maybe frank is the only kid like him there, which is more likely. i begged them to hold him back and keep him in the old classroom, because it ended up working out really well, he had an aide who was really good to him and doted over him, but they said they dont have the room. they did suggest shipping him to this other school for "lower functioning" kids. but none of them are deaf though, frank is the only one. which is why they are being so stupid over teaching him sign language. the teacher said sign language isnt a long term solution and he will never have a chance at being independent.

Is this a language impaired/ speech and language program? Is Frankie hard to catagorize? Like he's severely affected but he also has other issues or might be kinda scattered in other areas (ie he has some skills that more severe kids don't have)
I'm kinda glad that they're not using ASL if he's the only dhh kid. Most autistic (meaning classic severe) and severe ID kids will probaly not be able to use it as a language, but more in an AAC way. Granted that teacher needs to be disclipined for saying that. A lot of severe (either ID or classicly autistic) kids are taught Signs in an augmentive and alternative communication way, and it doesn't make them "dependent" Besides, almost all severe kids will be dependent in some way.

Back