It's a go! I have a surgery date!

I am still anxiously waiting for my Marvels. I don't know if anyone has gotten the Lava Red yet, so maybe that's part of my order's hold up.
I would love to see what percentage of the orders for the bright colors are for adults. I think the HA/CI companies still think adults want to hide their HAs/processors and therefore don't offer the bright colors for us. Luckily we can order the "pediatric" processor. I was lucky when I got my first BTEs that they came in colors (to appeal to kids).

I have no idea why I lost my hearing , I think it's genetic since my bro is HOH too , the doctor told me they just don't know after ruling out other causes like meniere's and tumor
Did they scan for a "Closed Bone" fracture, of the skull?
They can be very very small. (They missed mine at first).
Also, did they scan for, what is called a "Malleus fracture".
From the National Library of Medicine :
"Head trauma with skull base fracture was the most frequent cause of malleus-handle fracture", followed by small "concussive" blows to the tympanic membrane.
"This lesion is not rare, and the diagnosis frequently is missed because the tympanic membrane appears intact." But an Isolated malleus handle fracture is a rare ossicular injury, studied by Meniere in 1855.
They can now do surgery to fix this, and recover hearing, by "cementing" the fracture closed, but it is very tricky because it takes time to heal, and any vibration sorta opens up the wound. They have to insert a "vent" to outside of the ear, during surgery and recovery so the tympanic membrane does not "vibrate" the fracture lose.
All the auditory tests I've had, only show a level of hearing loss so the doctors could fashion a hearing aid for me. After the testing, they gave me (ha) two hearing aids! even though I had only one ear.

To do implant surgery, or POSSIBLY do surgery to "fix" a possible fracture, and regain a natural "hearing" that way, is the question. scan, scan. read, read.

How did your Doctors, "discount" Meniere's work?

It was said to me that "closed bone fractures" could cause Tinnitus, interesting. Fractures act like little "eco chambers", until they heal, he said.

Learn all you can

Today I visited the surgeon and it's a go, I can get a CI implant? The one thing I was a little disappointed about, the tests did not reveal a cause of my bilateral hearing loss? Is it common not to know a specific cause? For instance if it was genetic, would there not be anything to show it as such? I have chronic immune related conditions, could this have been a cause? How many of you alldeafers know the cause of your hearing loss?
Well, putting that aside, they showed me a sample of the implant instruments. The magnet and behind the ear piece was huge with the sample they had on hand? They are going to implant my left ear, but that is the side I sleep on, will the magnet cause me irritation or pressure? All I can hope for that it will benefit me, that I won't have any unwanted side effects, and that I will be able to hear to communicate with family, friends, and be able to function again in this hearing world. .

I would love to see what percentage of the orders for the bright colors are for adults. I think the HA/CI companies still think adults want to hide their HAs/processors and therefore don't offer the bright colors for us. Luckily we can order the "pediatric" processor. I was lucky when I got my first BTEs that they came in colors (to appeal to kids).
I have no idea. My rep told me that the neutral colors were the most popular, which is why those were going out first. But plenty of adults are also ordering colored Skys as well. I'll be calling AB in the morning to check in my order since I got an email the other night.

I had my surgery yesterday and outside of the bleeding , everything went well and the surgical team were all around me when I came out of the anesthetic smiling and throwing me a sign which I think meant it al went okay. Now, a question, I was bleeding quite a bit last night, but they couldn't cover it, the wrap was falling off, and I wasn't sure where the bleeding was coming from, till today, because I almost scratched it because of that itch we get when something is healing. It's directly behind the ear and has the staples in it, but there is also a raised area higher up behind the ear on the skull which I take is the magnet, I can't tell, and I can't see because my ear and hair is in the way Did the magnet also require an incision, or is it slid up somehow from behind the lower part of the ear. They put something that feels gooey in my hair, and I take it washed the blood off with something sterile, but it wasn't combed and is terribly matted mixed with blood, which I tried to separate with my fingers so the hair wouldn't get in the way of the wound.. It took a while but today the bleeding seems to be stopped completely. I was told not to wash hair for 7 days, not to get water in the ear, but what about the incision behind the ear, how can I cover that, when I'm washing my hair, or will that be sealed in 7 days? When you shampoo, can a conditioner also be used? I need to get the staples out in 2 weeks time so they aren't dissolvable?.

I had my surgery yesterday and outside of the bleeding , everything went well and the surgical team were all around me when I came out of the anesthetic smiling and throwing me a sign which I think meant it al went okay. Now, a question, I was bleeding quite a bit last night, but they couldn't cover it, the wrap was falling off, and I wasn't sure where the bleeding was coming from, till today, because I almost scratched it because of that itch we get when something is healing. It's directly behind the ear and has the staples in it, but there is also a raised area higher up behind the ear on the skull which I take is the magnet, I can't tell, and I can't see because my ear and hair is in the way Did the magnet also require an incision, or is it slid up somehow from behind the lower part of the ear. They put something that feels gooey in my hair, and I take it washed the blood off with something sterile, but it wasn't combed and is terribly matted mixed with blood, which I tried to separate with my fingers so the hair wouldn't get in the way of the wound.. It took a while but today the bleeding seems to be stopped completely. I was told not to wash hair for 7 days, not to get water in the ear, but what about the incision behind the ear, how can I cover that, when I'm washing my hair, or will that be sealed in 7 days? When you shampoo, can a conditioner also be used? I need to get the staples out in 2 weeks time so they aren't dissolvable?.
I had dissolvable stitches, but I would guess the stapled area should be closed enough in 7 days when they say you can wash your hair. I think they slide the magnet/implant up under the scalp as my incisions are also just behind the ear. If you want you can find videos online of the surgery. :o The magnet is above your ear and the electrodes run behind your ear to where they enter through a bone that protects the cochlear (they drilled a tiny hole in it for the electrodes).

Thanks, no more bleeding but the healing itch is unbearable. I got an icepack on my head right now? Thanks for the advice, I will see what I can find out about the actual surgery? I hate staples, I would have preferred dissolvable stitches but then they seen me coming, LoL

Just googled for a video. This may be the type of surgery you and I had, but I don't know for sure. Be aware this is surgery so it may not be something you'll want to watch. I have not watch it yet. There are other videos and websites that explain how the CI is placed and how it works online too

I have 2 incisions, one behind my ear, and the 2nd is further up the scalp, all held together with staples. According to instructions I can wash my hair in a few days. But my husband looked at my scalp incisions and told me to maybe hold off washing my hair for now. I don't know what to do, is it okay to get water, shampoo and conditioner on the incision and staples. What is lame, they tell you to hold off showering for 14 days, yet let you wash your hair within 7 days?. Both get water on the scalp? They say to use a sandwich bag, which will cover the ear as a whole, but will not keep soap and water off the back of the ear where the incision is or off the scalp? Thank goodness for baths. Any advice on the hair washing?

They're probably telling you you can wash you hair earlier than taking a shower because it will be easier (so they think) for you to cover the area and wash your hair leaning over a tub or sink and not get water/shampoo on the area. You'll need to contact the clinic to ask what you can and cannot do. Every surgeon has their own way of doing the surgery and their own post-op instructions. Good luck. You're almost 1/2 way there to being able to shower and wash you hair. ;)

Because of the 2nd incision site which is half way up on my scalp, it cannot be avoided, unless I only wash half my head, then that would be possible? Think I am going to wait a few days to be on the safe side. Thanks for taking time to advise me.

I was able to wash my hair after 3 days. I just had to apply a special cream before bed over the incision at night for a week they sent me home with.

If you don't mind me asking, did you have one incision just behind the ears or on the scalp part as well. Stitches or staples? With mine I don't know if it's one extended cut behind the ears and then up and out to the scalp. I can't see in the side back exactly what they did? Some of it has been shaved. I just don't want to shampoo the staples right out of my hair. I woke from surgery with wet hair, since my hair is long, it was all matted and piled up over the cuts but whether this happened because of the oozing blood or if they put it there to get it out of the way, I'm not sure? I wasn't given a cream, not even a bandage, the nurse tried, but it fell off so I was told just to wipe the blood with a cloth. I wonder if I can take a picture of it with my phone, then I will see more of what they did?

I wonder if I can take a picture of it with my phone, then I will see more of what they did?
I've done that - it not easy. I have a selfie cord and would hang my phone, using the selfie cord, from the door behind me in the bathroom and use the selfie cord to take the picture. :D
Can't you get your husband to take the pictures for you?

The pictures help but don't show a trail from ear to scalp, but my husband said there is one, it's just that it's covered with hair, yet I can see a big round bald spot on my picture where they shaved on the upper side of my scalp|/. Guess that is where the cover of the magnet will go. Does hair grow back in this spot?
I am experiencing some sharp pain that comes and goes, in the back of my jaw, which radiates into my ear. Also seem to have some unwelcome noise today, unless that is coming from my R ear where there is no implant. Pity, tinnitus was fairly quiet for a few days. also have some new tinnitus noise, a telephone ringing but when I run to see who is on the call display there is no one there.

You should call your surgeon's office and report the pain. The noise is probably just fluids still moving around in the ear, but report that too.

BTW, I sent you a private message earlier this month. It has links to 2 Advanced Bionics user communities that you might want to join.

I was thinking it's only been a week so I will keep an eye on it, and will call the office if something feels worse or seems really off. I do have a follow up appt with the Surgeon and also read that some of these symptoms are common in the first weeks after surgery. Also read that there could be a temporary increase in Tinnitus in the beginning. That's helpful to know.
I read on one site to apply antibiotic cream to the incision 3xs a day, but I was never told to do this? However I am taking antibiotics that were prescribed.
Today I got much clearer pictures so now know where those incisions are? I will take a look in PM Thank you for the links you provided.

Different CI surgeons have their own post-op care instructions. You should follow your surgeon's instructions.

Mssecgo, do you have any hearing left in your ears? If you do and hearing Aids are really helpful, then maybe stick with them until they don't benefit you very much anymore, then make the decision? (but don't wait until you are totally deaf, that's not good either) I had the surgery and I'm looking forward to see if I will be able to hear in the future once I'm activated, and of course participate in the months ahead, re learning how to hear again? There are no guarantees but I'm hopeful. I can't fully understand the relearning how to hear again, what they mean by that, I still have a pinch of hearing in my R ear, so what do I have to re learn, perhaps, it's one of those things that are hard to explain until I actually go through it myself? Unless Cochlear implants have a language all of their own, could that be what they mean by that, it's like a new language? Forgive me if I'm off base bringing that up, but as you can see I am fairly new to this. All I can say for now is what others have told me, some love them, and the odd few haven't been very successful?

Back