Issue with hard disks (1999-2006)

katz4life

Reaction score
I had been forgetful about bringing up my issue with old hard disks that I found at my old friend's house which had been left for over 5 years. Now I realized that there was no longer computers that contains hard disk in. There has a lot of photos and vid clips on my hard disks. I don't want to lose them as I want to see them as if I may print them out or transfer to CD but how?

Like there has technoology transfer from VHS tapes to dvd cd at Walgreens and also has VCR/DVD combo do-it-yourself transferring from home video tapes to dvd.

Is there anyway for me to retrieve photos and video clips from hard disks?

you should be able to. if they are hard drives that came from inside computers (internal), you can get a enclosure for it and hook it up to your current PC via USB as a external drive. I have one set up like that here. You do need to be careful which to get based on the type of interface like SATA or PATA.

A few examples:
[ame]http://www.amazon.com/Acomdata-Samba-3-5-Inch-Enclosure-SMBXXXU2E-BLU/dp/B000VNOHSW/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1424937117&sr=8-1&keywords=SMBXXXU2E-BLU[/ame]

this is the one I bought (back in 2010)
[ame=http://www.amazon.com/Acomdata-Samba-3-5-Inch-Enclosure-SMBXXXU2E-BLU/dp/B000VNOHSW/ref=sr_1_1?s=electronics&ie=UTF8&qid=1424936999&sr=1-1&keywords=SMBXXXU2E-BLU] Enclosure[/ame]

OR you can buy Hdd to USB converter. I bought it from Microcenter for $12 bucks.

Here's the link

http://www.microcenter.com/product/373131/3_in_1_SATA-IDE_to_USB_20_adapter

This kit come with IDE to USB (either 40 pins or 44 pins) to USB, 12v Power adapter to IDE or SATA jack and SATA cable.

I use it alot to copy HDD to my desktop or laptop and burn it to DVD. It is very easy to use. You can EVEN install and run Windows or Linux OS from there to boot up PC or Laptop via USB.

BE WARNED!!! There are IDE to USB adapter of DIFFERENT BRANDs. IT won't let you install OS or copy file. IT require complicated set up like installing software from CD and then run program and plug IDE To USB jack in then copy file. It tend to screw up or hard time understand software configuration. Like this:

http://www.microcenter.com/product/285941/EZ-Connect_USB_to_SATA-IDE_Adapter

IT sucks big. So get one that I advise you to get. It's straightforward and it's very much same as the way you use thumb USB drive. Ez and hackable.

You can EVEN use old Hdd as your external drive through IDE/SATA to USB adapter for backing up files and it works very much like Enclosed HDD. So If you are under budget. YOu can do it in Redneck way. :rofl:

Catty

can someone help me I would try new thread but keeping getting wrong.
somehow I got 'ASK the thing that was jeeves I prefer google but I can't get rid of ASK search engine. I wondering if this something to do with open ports I did what reba suggested no luck and I did not put search engine on it just came on

can someone help me I would try new thread but keeping getting wrong.
somehow I got 'ASK the thing that was jeeves I prefer google but I can't get rid of ASK search engine. I wondering if this something to do with open ports I did what reba suggested no luck and I did not put search engine on it just came on
If you make Google your default preferred search engine, "Ask (Jeeves)" shouldn't pop up.

Step-by-step directions here:

Set Google search default

However, if you have an "Ask" toolbar, that's a different process to get rid of it. It can be done, too. Let me know if that's the problem.

I have made it default s.e but ASK wont go.google on tool bar with google earth favorites etc then other end of tool bar it says bookmarks.when put computer on ASK is the box that comes up..since that been on computer it slowed it down and these ports have opened

I have made it default s.e but ASK wont go.google on tool bar with google earth favorites etc then other end of tool bar it says bookmarks.when put computer on ASK is the box that comes up..since that been on computer it slowed it down and these ports have opened
You need to get rid of the ASK toolbar and any other ASK-associated stuff.

First, do you know how to use your Control Panel to uninstall programs?

no I dont

That's OK. We can walk thru it. :)

Let me check what we're working with:

What operating system (OS) do you have? Windows XP? Windows 7? Windows 8 or 8.1?

What browser do you use? Chrome? Internet Explorer? Firefox? Other?

Do you prefer to follow directions on a Youtube captioned video tutorial, or would you like a printed list of steps to follow?

Back